Loblaws expanding and hiring

huzzsaba

Thought I would put this out there for those looking for a job, or lost jobs because of closing down of Target. I heard on the news that Loblaws / Shopper Drug Mart is expanding and there will be loads of job openings.

Just a heads up!

With the dollar low look to an increase in manufacturing jobs as well, recently saw Arcelor/Mittal/Dofasco is going to hire about a thousand in the next few years, more with the spinoff jobs those will create. Labour here became cheaper compared to the US with the 79 cent dollar.

I certainly do..... the secret is to have the contract BEFORE the dollar drops though and it pays your overhead. Even without that advantage, it brings the manufacturing back to Canada... but may be too little too late with everyone that was "major" pretty much gone.

Now that I'm pretty much out of the automotive side... airplanes on the other hand are totally based on US dollars and I can't wait to see 70 cents and finally be able to list some stuff for sale again that I've been sitting on, that would have been a major loss to sell at par.

As for Loblaws /Shoppers, as noted it's a merger. Already more stores than Tim Hortons. I really hope they are hiring, but is it just a smoke screen with "part time" jobs?

not sure where this was annouced but Loblaws recently bought out shoppers and close/sold a bunch of locations, The one here in port hope has been bought by Pharmasave.

That seems like job cuts to me?

It seems every town or city I do visit there are SDM's everywhere, like Hortons. I've asked store associates, owners, why that company competes with itself. They pointed out it is the independent owners that compete, the corporation collects the benefits of this competition. The overhead in these stores is phenomenal.

TTC is hiring lots right now, some for the maintenance side and also lots for the operations side. There are approx 5000 plus in a position to retire over the next 5 yrs, as well as growth...good company, good benefits and good pay.

Maureen

226. I work for Loblaw and have for 9 years (great company to work for!). As part of the competition bureau review, they were required to close a very small number of locations before the acquisition would be approved.

In my experience (and I am just an average worker), Loblaw has done a great job at caring about community. Would not have happened if it didnt have to.

I came across a small Loblaws owned store today named BOX. Three quarters of the store is no name with Presidents choice and name brands filling out the rest of the stock. The prices are lower than No Frills as well....