musky rods and reels

Lunatic

My first real combo was a 7'6" compre with a Abu 7000 BG gold reel it worked but moving up in rod length helps alot. I boated my first casting musky on that combo with Lew and had my first follow that was fun.

I now love a 9' for big blades with a tranx 8'6" with the Diawa 400 Lexa? Or what ever its called for big rubber. And a 7' with the NACL for the jerk baits. It's all about personal choice but over the years I found these to work for me

I hate to bud in here but I picked up a mojobass MBGC78MHM / Big Crankster rod at a sale for 60 bucks, still has tags on it. Would this rod work for a starter for a musky set up? I'd kinda like to have one pike/musky setup in the rack.

It would likely be very good for pike. Musky no. Many musky baits you would want to throw are over the 1 oz rating. It wouldn't be enough rod. For musky I wouldn't get anything less than a 1-3 oz rating. That would cover smaller bucktails, spinnerbaits and small to medium jerkbaits and cranks. Smaller baits still catch lots of fish.

Edited by Andy

There was no pretension intended, there are sound mechanical reasons for what I said. Beyond that, I don't really care how or why you want to handicap yourself, it doesn't affect me.

However, I do think it's wrong to encourage a newbie to copy the mistake. I suspect that someone else suggested to you, that a lefty was the way to go, before you knew better. If you started Right and switched that's your business, if not, someone did you a disservice.

The convention is to mount a horse from the left. This might have been a military thing, to have everyone doing it the same way. There are no left handed bicycles. There are left handed reels, golf clubs, baseball gloves and hockey sticks and if you think they suit you better, go with it.

What's the mechanical reason? I must be missing it. Though didn't take tennis lessons...

In my not so humble opinion, any right-hand person who uses a left hand casting reel is handicapping themselves.

Look at any article on Bait Casting and you will see that the reel is supposed to be tilted on its side with the crank hand facing up and away at about a 45 or 50 degree angle during the cast. This is to allow your wrist to bend properly...If you ever had Tennis lessons you will know what I'm talking about.

That said, feel free to listen to those who are smarter than all the reel designers.

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29932

703 anglers have responded to date. Now, this is tackletour, a lot of tackle junkies...so the data may be skewed against the "average angler".

However, with that said, 58% of anglers reel with their left hand....

thanks for the opinions.

im looking more to have an all in one rod to start. i dont know how much musky fishing ill do this year.i still like going for pike and bass often.

ill need something heavy to throw bulldawgs

also im right handed and use my left to reel.i have a right handed baitcaster i tried to get into it but couldnt. im right handed and i use my left foot to push on a skateboard (when i was a kid) i shoot right handed stick in hockey,and catch with my right hand as a goalie,but in baseball i catch with my left and throw with my right.......my point is ,im just not right,haha

when it was looked into further, the majority of anglers who cast with their right hand, switching the rod into their left hand, and then reeling with their right hand, started using baitcasters when left handed baitcasters weren't available.

simply put, they learned to cast and reel with their right hand because there weren't many alternate options available.

those who are right handed, and started using baitcasters when left handed options were available, more often then not use a left handed baitcaster and cast with their dominant right arm.

I will be 70 around the time Musky season opens this year. If most new casters are using lefty reels, perhaps I am a casting dinosaur. As such, I promise not to criticize lefty-lovers anymore...After today...HAHAHA.

Since now-a-days everyone grows up using a spinning reel. I understand why folks might think they would prefer a left-hand cranking reel, but there were and are good reasons why cast right and crank right is the standard.

When I was a boy, in the 50's, the crank handles on many bait casters didn't disconnect, they spun backward during the cast. That, I suspect, was a powerful reason for right-hand cranks for right-hand casters.

As I mentioned, the proper grip for a right-hand caster has the reel canted to the left with the crank up and away. This of course kept the crank away from your body, and clothes, as it whirled about. This cant also allows your wrist to bend further. This is the grip which is taught in tennis for the same reason...

Once the push button clutch was developed, to disconnect the crank during the cast, one argument was somewhat weakened, but not resolved. To this day, if your crank is inboard during the cast, when you bump or jar it, you are going to have a problem.

This is casting mechanics #1.

I have used left-hand reels for pitching and occasionally for casting. I honestly find no advantage when casting.

Switching the rod from right to left happens while the bait is in the air, most of the time. On the switch, the reel goes into the palm of the left hand. This palm-grip keeps the rod from torquing up and down as you crank.

Most right handed guys using a left-hand reel, that I have seen, cast with the rod held so that the reel is horizontal.

This limits their back-cast and shortens their cast.

This is casting mechanics #2.

The most common way to hold the rod in order to cast is with ones finger on the trigger. Since right-hand casters who crank left don't switch hands, they don't naturally move the reel into their palm. This leads to fatigue in the wrist, caused by fighting the torque of the reel as you crank.

This is casting mechanics #3 and all I have to say on the subject.

Yeah but can't you cast a left handed reel the exact same way? Aim the crank handle at where you're casting (so that the reel is not horizontal) and then you're getting the exact same motion? I don't get how the reel handle dictates why/how you hold your rod when you cast.

I'd also say that controling the rod with your stronger/coordinated hand has major advantages over the opposite, but as Lew said - everyone is comfortable doing different things.

Honestly guys, using a baitcaster is one of the easiest things you'll ever do in your entire life. If your already doing it, your probably comfortable with how you do it so carry on with that.

If your new to it or are wanting to learn, try a left hand reel and if it feels good....carry on. If it doesn't feel good try cranking with your right hand and if that feels good....carry on.

Tossing a lure with a baitcaster is really REALLY easy stuff and there's absolutely NOTHING technical about it.

I took my wife musky fishing last summer for the 1st time and gave her a 2 minute lesson on a baitcaster and withing about 3 casts she was doing it like a pro....'cept she never caught a musky :lol:

Go fishing, have fun and definitely DON'T over think it.

Edited by lew

I use left handed baitcasting reels for casting so I don't switch hands during or after the cast. It's how I started and I just like working a bait like a jerkbait better with my right hand and arm, plus my left shoulder sometimes acts up and gets a little stiff.

I will agree with garry2rs that your right hand may get a little fatigued by the end of the day if you don't switch because I do switch my right hand grip from a trigger casting grip to palming retrieve grip all day, instead of handing the reel over to the left hand palm grip. But it's not a big deal. The only time I sometimes wish the rod was in my left hand is when I want to net a big fish, and I can just switch hands with the fish at the boat.

All my trolling reels are right handed retrieve, and I find using them a breeze too. Once I have a fish on, I usually forget all about what hand is holding the reel.

Lew, is right. Don't over think it.

Edited by Andy

There was no pretension intended, there are sound mechanical reasons for what I said. Beyond that, I don't really care how or why you want to handicap yourself, it doesn't affect me.

However, I do think it's wrong to encourage a newbie to copy the mistake. I suspect that someone else suggested to you, that a lefty was the way to go, before you knew better. If you started Right and switched that's your business, if not, someone did you a disservice.

The convention is to mount a horse from the left. This might have been a military thing, to have everyone doing it the same way. There are no left handed bicycles. There are left handed reels, golf clubs, baseball gloves and hockey sticks and if you think they suit you better, go with it.

I tried a right handed baitcaster, and it was not for for me. I switched to lefty and it works for me.

To suggest that I am doing a disservice to someone by telling them to fish the way they are comfortable is pretentious FYI.

Here's my thoughts again...

If buying new - Abu C3 6500 is the best in the $125-150 range. Add a power handle for sure. Is it a hardcore musky reel designed for day-in day out use? No. It gets the job done for the weekend warrior who might get out a half dozen times a year. Also doubles as a great other species reel - I like it for pike, cats and carp. The C4 is NOT a muskie reel. It looks like a C3, but has no cranking power due to the gearing. I found this out the hard way, bought one new when I was starting out with baitcasters and struggled with it.

I also had an Abu 7000i (red one), and it indeed is big and powerful, but VERY heavy. I just couldn't handle the weight of it as a casting reel. I've seen them for pretty good prices, similar to the C3. Makes an excellent trolling reel.

Suprisingly, there is very little available in the $150-250 range. Okuma released a few reels in the past few years including the Komodo - I think it is around $225, and has gotten some good reviews. I'm not sure what the gearing is like though, I seem to think that it is a only a high speed reel, not a cranking reel but I could be wrong. Daiwa has the Lexa line, which some other members can chime in on. A solid offering in this price range is Shimano's Calcutta B - which is a very good all around reel without breaking the bank. It's a round style reel, which some people are not used to.

Once you jump to the $300 plateau you can pick up an Abu Garcia Revo Toro, there is a winch (4.6:1) and a high speed (6.4:1) model. The winch is one of the best reels out there for bringing in twin tens, and has a very powerful drag. It's also low profile, really light, and sits very nicely in your hand. I had one for two seasons. I still have the HS model, and use it for my jerkbait rod. The fast line pickup is perfect for this setup. Abu also recently released the NaCl line, which is similar to the Revo Toro line in features.

Cross the $400 threshold and you get into my reels of choice - Shimano's Calcutta line and Tranx. The Calcutta TE 400, now discontinued, is my favourite muskie reel. Smooth as silk, round profile, available power handle and fairly light. I can and do throw bucktails - even twin 12 and 13's - all day with this reel. Drawbacks - not the strongest drag system (although a Carbontex drag upgrade is available - I have added this for 2015), and when using the power handle you have to be careful that the weight of it does not cause the bail to close mid-cast - I've done this a couple times and damaged my gears. Thankfully the boys at Shimano in Peterborough have fixed her up each time for me. The Calcutta TE was replaced by the Calcutta D, which is priced around $450. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. I have two of them, and they are my 'all around' reel. Quite capable of bringing in big blades, but with enough line pickup to throw big plastics, crankbaits or whatever you choose. When my TE finally dies (parts no longer available), I won't be too upset knowing that I have the D to fall back on.

Get into silly country ($600) and you can have a Shimano Tranx. Available in low (4.6:1) and high (6.6:1) gearing, this thing is a monster designed specifically for muskie fishing. It's big, built like a tank, casts a country mile and cranks in whatever with ease. Tons of drag also. I picked one up over the winter, and will be battle testing it this season. All the features sound amazing on paper, but I'm curious to see if I can get used to the size of it.

When new muskie anglers ask me what reel to start with, I often suggest the Abu C3 6500. It's affordable, holds it's value well, and gets the job done. Easy to service as well. A clicker for trolling and multi-species capability are also bonuses. If you can find a used Calcutta B, Abu Winch or similar, even better if you plan on throwing blades a lot. No sense dropping $500 on a reel yet until you figure out if muskie fishing is truly your thing.

As for the lefty/righty thing - whatever floats your boat. Some people think it is more important to have your dominant arm on the rod, some prefer it on the reel. Just do whatever is comfortable... you will figure this out pretty fast throwing a twin ten inline!

Sooooo... in conclusion, if your budget is $320, drop $100 on a rod and $220 on a reel... spool it up with 80-100lb braid, a quality leader... and giv'er!!! Looking forward to seeing some reports from all the budding muskie anglers on the board.

why not buy a new tekota 500 and use that.

it'll handle everything a muskie can throw at it, including the largest muskie baits.

its about $240.

you didn't even mention it in all your options (which are all very good btw).

just curious why you wouldn't suggest a tekota?

(yes, I understand the common tekota's ones around here are line counters, but you can certainly still cast with a line counter).

if you're going to be fishing into "freezing season", which many muskie anglers do, stay away from Okuma. They don't like the cold ... at all.

the tekota 500 is propably bigger heavier more awkward than a 7000.

i've used a lot of reels. my currently most used reels are a 7001, a curado 301 and an avet sx series (i think) saltwater reel. the 7001 is the only one that is an all-purpose reel. the curado is great for jerkbaits but lacks the power to pull blades and the avet is great for blades but since it has no level wind, is a one trick pony.

the 6500 c3 or 7000 c3 are what i'd recommend to start. they both have loud clicker and cast reasonably well

Edited by Raf

i find myself more of a rod snob than a reel snob,but you guys arent the first to tell me to spend more on the reel. ive also heard that the shimano cardiff is a good option,but no one mentioned that here

. it might sound silly but im turned off by abu garcia. my first ever baitcast set up was the black maxx combo and that only lasted 2 hours before the rod broke 4 inches from the tip,and the 3rd time out the drag broke.ive replaced both with shimano set up and doing good 2 years in.i had a friend give me his black maxx reel because his rod broke. i wont rule out abu but im ho-hum on it.

my bass and pike set ups are mostly shimano and st.croix. 13 fishing rods have me interested,but i dont think too many here have used them so im hestitant on straying from shimano and st croix.

ill improve my set ups over time,little by little so the wife doesnt notice. if i drop 400+ on a reel or rod,i might be burried with them lol

ahhh, ok raf, makes sense.

i'm used to feeling like the 500 is small, likely cause I have a million 600 tekota's, as well as a few 700's and one 800.

those are big!

6500 c3 was a great beginner reel for me.

but like was already said on here, DO NOT buy a c4. it won't reel in the bait, never mind a muskie, lol.

ill improve my set ups over time,little by little so the wife doesnt notice. if i drop 400+ on a reel or rod,i might be burried with them lol

You may find it worth taking the chance, you'll be amazed at the difference in quality once you step up to that level of rods & reels. My favorite set-up for bucktails & spinnerbaits is Calcutta TE's on St. Croix Legend Tournament rods and after using them for a few years anything else just doesn't compare.

Lotsa money but well worth the expense in my opinion.