Anyone seeing small augers on the market?

misfish

I remember seeing perch fells with 2.5-3.5 inch ice augers for perching.

Has anyone seen these for sale any where? Would be nice to have for locating depths quick with the electric. Instead of augering 8 inch holes all the time.

Thanks

B

Smallest I have seen lately are the 4 1/2" Nils.

Cabelas actually has the high velocity model on sale for $104 right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nils-USA-High-Velocity-Hand-Auger/1089564.uts

If you have good clear ice it is easier to put the transducer (as long as it's a flat ice ducer) on the ice (shovel away snow) and with the sonar on pour a little water on the ducer to couple it to the ice and you can read depth easily. I have read depth through more than 5' of ice and I have even marked fish through the ice. :D

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Im sure the ones I seen were old Nls. They were that green color. I know my BIL had one many years ago. Maybe he still has it. I,ll have to give him a call.

That thing just zipped through the ice.

Edited by Brian B

You should be able to set your transducer in a tub of water or right on the ice to see how deep it is.

A bit of minnow water splashed on bare ice is good enough for the x67 and if you're not into minnows you can simply spit on the ground and swirl the transducer a bit. Any clear liquid will work and you only need the smallest amount of form a bit of suction between the ice and transducer.

A bit of minnow water splashed on bare ice is good enough for the x67 and if you're not into minnows you can simply spit on the ground and swirl the transducer a bit. Any clear liquid will work and you only need the smallest amount of form a bit of suction between the ice and transducer.

I carry a water bottle in my cooler with my dead bait. (keeps it from freezing).

Easy to refill after you drill a hole or two. ;)

I usually drill a couple turns of the auger, put a little water in, and shoot the ducer right thru the ice. Never had a problem. It won't mark fish or anything, and might not tell you the depth properly on the readout, but it will mark bottom, and you can figure it out from there. Works great. I never drill holes to find the depth.

S.

Called the BIL. He has a 3 inch nils,but,it,s bent. Ran it over with a sled years ago. :wallbash:

Thanks for the heads up on the augers fellas. Going to stick it out til seasons end and see if there are any real deals.

Shane,I,ll give your way a try. Lots of snow coverage here now. Walking and dragging and popping shallow hole is in order for the morning trip out..

Slushy ice is pretty well all we get here in sub-tropical S. Ont!!! :)

Not this year on the waters I have fished. Simcoe, LPB and a couple smaller lakes all had clear ice before we got the dumping of snow. Makes for a great reaction from first timers when you're gunning it towards what appears to be a massive area of open water and they think you're on a suicide mission. :whistling: