Stringers - releasing fish from them

big guy

Just saw a video online where a person was using a stringer to keep fish alive, poked through the underside of the jaw, but when a better fish was caught, he culled a smaller fish from the stringer, releasing it back into the lake. I did a quick search in the Regs for this, came up empty, but was always under the impression that once on the stringer, they weren't to be released. Not sure why I have this idea in my head, but was wondering if anyone knew about this. Not trying to start anything, just curious for my own knowledge as I use a stringer.... when I catch fish that is.

Thanks

Provided you don't exceed your daily bag limit I don't know that it's specifically illegal, at least in a technical sense. I expect a CO would have to consider it on the same basis as culling fish from a live well, which goes on all the time. Some home-made live wells I've seen used at tournaments are pretty dodgy.

Culling seems to be a grey area. Legally speaking, the regs do clearly state that once you "retain" a fish, it counts against your daily bag limit. But this obviously isn't enforced at bass tournaments, for example, and I don't know what the reasoning is there.

But regardless of the legal situation, the stringer is definitely going to do a lot more harm to any fish that are released. The hole in the jaw is one thing ... but the added stress of being retained that way, being potentially kept in surface water thats warmer / less oxygenated / different ph than the water at the depth where the fish was hooked, being exposed to much higher levels of sunlight for extended periods, etc etc could easily result in stress-related delayed mortality. The fish might swim away just fine, but then keel over and croak a few hours later.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

From the MNR Website & also covered in the regs at the top of page 9:

Culling and livewells

Culling means swapping a fish you’ve already caught for a different one to maximize the size of your catch or to selectively harvest fish of a certain size.

In most cases, fish you do not release immediately become part of your daily catch limit.

Under certain conditions for certain species, anglers can cull (selectively hold and release) more fish than their daily limit:

1. The fish must be held in a livewell, a tank used to keep fish alive. The livewell must meet these conditions:
    • attached to or part of the boat
    • holds at least 46 litres (10 gallons) of water
    • capacity for water exchange
    • mechanically aerates the water whenever it holds live fish
    • drained before leaving the water body
  2. Culling is only allowed with these species:
    • walleye
    • northern pike
    • largemouth and smallmouth bass
  3. You may catch, hold in a livewell and release more than your daily limit for these species as long as:
    • none of the fish exceed the size limits
    • you never exceed your daily limit of northern pike or walleye, or 6 smallmouth and largemouth bass (in any combination), at one time
    • any fish you release are likely to survive

Example: You are holding your daily catch limit of 6 bass in the livewell of your boat. You continue fishing, and catch a bass larger than 1 of the 6 you are holding in the livewell. You safely release the smaller fish, and put the larger bass in the livewell.

Edited by G.mech

My moral feelings on this, if it goes on the stringer it goes home with you. you made the decision to keep that fish, you stick to it. especially if you're in a boat, since you'd taking the fish in and out of the water to travel from spot to spot

on a side note, the first steelhead i ever caught on a fly rod, i didn't actually hook the fish, but rather the make shift stringer hanging out of its mouth. the fish came home with me.

Edited by FloatnFly

Interesting

Thanks for posting...

This would also effect shore guys...

I personally have found that walleye stay very healthy on a stringer (when treated well and hooked on properly...)... I used to used a stringer and I couldn't believe that usually all my fish would be alive after fishing 10+ spots and covering 3-4 miles of river...

But my stringer allows the fish to get down 3-4 feet... This gets them outta that warm surface layer... It's also a stringer... Not a rope through the gills...

Well at least it's better than putting a fish on the stringer and then realizing you didn't actually tie the stringer up to the boat and it swam away with your stringer DOH! Sorry, that may upset some of you fishermen, but it happened and I was not pleased myself. Felt bad for years after that happened and have never used a stringer since. Actually, still feel bad about it!!!

Well at least it's better than putting a fish on the stringer and then realizing you didn't actually tie the stringer up to the boat and it swam away with your stringer DOH! Sorry, that may upset some of you fishermen, but it happened and I was not pleased myself. Felt bad for years after that happened and have never used a stringer since. Actually, still feel bad about it!!!

Don't worry Joey...

I fed a pike/musky a handfull of walleye by accident... They were ripping them off my stringer boatside.... Happened on several outings at one particular spot...

Like Mike, I am also surprised how well a walleye does on a stringer.

This summer, one was hooked bad, I didn't want to drag it around all day, but thought it should be kept, bonked it twice, and put it on the stringer. Hours later, it's alive and swimming fine with 2 scars on it's head. It became known as the zombie pickerel.

I portaged with a walleye on the stringer and out of the water for 1/2 an hour. It too came back to life and looked fine.

I poke through the membrane under the jaw, and not in the gills.

In the Yukon stringers are illegal. If a fish is caught, you decide then and there if it will be kept.

When i used a stringer i would pass it from the nostril(small hole above the mouth) and out thru the mouth. It didn't pull on the bottom jaw at all and It seems like the walleyes stayed alive a lot longer than when I stuck them thru the bottom of the mouth. I still use a stringer when I am icefishing for walleyes. I poke a hole just for the stringer and my fish stays alive until it's time to go.

Ive had walleye on a stringer for a whole day, much like mike, shore fishing the river and travelling. Almost always the fish are alive when I return home sometimes 13-14 hours later. Like mike I use a long stringer.

Thats pretty tough when ya think about it

When I keep pike they die quickly. If I plan on keeping pike its a selective trip and I get them home quickly.

That aside, I personally would never release a fish off my stringer, just a moral thing really, I dont care what the law states.

Im positive releasing stringered fish is putting that fish at risk.

Just because its alive, or even swims off seemingly fine, does not mean that fish will survive the damage the angler caused.

Also, quick question for mike(since we do a similar thing). Ever notice the quick colour change? When the fish is caught it has its "normal colour". After put on the stringer I notice they get a similar pattern to sauger. Much more visible markings. Once dead the marking are gone all together and the walleye appears "silvery"(think lake winnipeg walleye).

Just curious if this is dependant on waterbody, area, or if its stress markers???

That is a stress thing Manitou, they get that in the livewell sometimes as well, Kind of neat to see though know what I mean?
I think part of it is also trying to adapt to their surroundings because I have pulled walleye out of the same lake from rock piles and sand bars and you would think one is from Lake Winnipeg and one was from Spanish or something.

You guys aren't wrong about them lasting on the stringers though, don't get me wrong! I have also had fish last all day on stringers, however I also agree that once a fish is on the stringer it isn't right to send them back. I think how long they will last it has a lot to do with the water temps, and water colour. I have also found that they last longer in darker stained water than clear and up north in colder lakes they last longer than in warmer ones, In my experience at least.

And Joey I think most people have lost a stringer with some fish on it at some point or another, I know I have :wallbash: lol.

Edited by c10

That is a stress thing Manitou, they get that in the livewell sometimes as well, Kind of neat to see though know what I mean?

I think part of it is also trying to adapt to their surroundings because I have pulled walleye out of the same lake from rock piles and sand bars and you would think one is from Lake Winnipeg and one was from Spanish or something.

You guys aren't wrong about them lasting on the stringers though, don't get me wrong! I have also had fish last all day on stringers, however I also agree that once a fish is on the stringer it isn't right to send them back. I think how long they will last it has a lot to do with the water temps, and water colour. I have also found that they last longer in darker stained water than clear and up north in colder lakes they last longer than in warmer ones, In my experience at least.

And Joey I think most people have lost a stringer with some fish on it at some point or another, I know I have :wallbash: lol.

Yeah it is cool to see as they get almost a tiger like appearance. Their marking become much more visible.

that being said, does anything prove this is a stress marker?

Is there any biology behind this? I mean thats proven and not just pseudoscience?

Pike or even moreso perch keep their colours much more then walleye.

sauger look awesome after they are caught. Beautiful little fish

I don't know if there is a study, let a lone any replicable scientific evidence that would show that this is something that happens to all stressed walleye's North America Wide. I will ask the people I know in environmental and fishery studies and get back to you. I suppose i should have been more clear, the change in colour is from my experience a stress related factor lol,

Just from my experience, they first throw up the food in their belly when they are scared or feel threatened as a way to try and get the predator to go after the digesting contents from their gut instead of them, then they start to change in colouration, then they die and for some reason turn back to their original colours most of the time. So this is all just from my personal experience (except the first part about throwing up the food), but as said before I will ask some profs and some of my friends to see if they know of any studies that would prove my theory. It is kind of a hard thing to study though lol,