refilling 1 Lb propane tank

icefisherman

Thanks guys. Was at Cabelas on Friday and bought new St. Croix ice rod....damn....wish I knew they sell the adapter as well so I don't make a special trip for it.

Oh well...

Do I really need that filter too? I was reading if you stop gas flow from the 20 lb tank valve first and let gar in hose burn you don't need the filter?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

As far as I know refilling and transporting refilled 1lb tanks is illigal in canada....

But...

"I know a guy" that got one of those fittings and has been refilling 1lb tanks for years... No filters... No problems... Used on a portable buddy heater...

Just keep in mind the valves on those tanks aren't designed for refilling... My buddy had a tank from ice fishing he forgot in his truck... Got to be 30 degrees outside and the tank leaked propane in his truck.... Since then he treats 1lb propane tanks with more respect...

Your large cylinder needs to be at room temp and the 1#er should be kept in the freezer to cool down prior to filling in order to get the best fill.

The large cylinder should be upside down during filling as well.

The filter keeps contaminants that may be introduced into the refillable cylinder (from the refilling center) from clogging up the venturi.

For the price it provides good peace of mind if you're using bulk cylinders.

Does Princess Auto or some other place sell them in the GTA to avoid the drive again to Barrie before my next fishing trip?

Also isn't that the same hose I use for connecting my 20 lbs tank to my camping cooking stove or my camping propane lantern?

If so I have it and will not need to spend on it.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Also isn't that the same hose I use for connecting my 20 lbs tank to my camping cooking stove or my camping propane lantern?

If so I have it and will not need to spend on it.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I'm using the hose I bought @ CT for my coleman stove.

As I said, I also purchased the filter from Bass Pro to use with it.

Besides the danger of leaks when transferring the main risk is overfilling a tank.

Propane containers must not be filled past 80% of the capacity. The remaining 20% allows for pressure expansion.
Liquid inside a container filled to the top leaves no room to expand. So when temperature rises the only way for this pressure can be relieved is the expansion of the container itself. All it takes is a few degrees for this to happen and allow the tank to rupture.

When filling propane cylinders you must know the capacity of the tank and how much it weighs. Then fill on a scale.
Some cylinders have a bleed valve you can open that allows liquid propane to come out when it reaches the 80% level.

Besides the danger of leaks when transferring the main risk is overfilling a tank.

Propane containers must not be filled past 80% of the capacity. The remaining 20% allows for pressure expansion.

Liquid inside a container filled to the top leaves no room to expand. So when temperature rises the only way for this pressure can be relieved is the expansion of the container itself. All it takes is a few degrees for this to happen and allow the tank to rupture.

When filling propane cylinders you must know the capacity of the tank and how much it weighs. Then fill on a scale.

Some cylinders have a bleed valve you can open that allows liquid propane to come out when it reaches the 80% level.

The only way the tank will rupture is if the pressure relief valve is damaged or disabled.

Yah.. I use to say that Dave and didn't believe there was any way to possibly overfill a 1 pounder....... then I hung out with Terry and Lloyd a little longer! LMAO

Time it... and time it accurately.. the fill time. Start short and work your way up. This year I have a digital scale that I forgot I even had in the shop... so we can tare an empty and then time and weigh until we get it to a science.

OK, I stand corrected, my intention was for a container for an example of what can happen.
But when the relief valve does open it allows the contents to escape which is also quite dangerous.
Those of us that understand the physics and able to do things such as this safely is fine. But there are many that do not which is why it is banned in Canada.