cooking thread...

I should search for pics on my old phone. My step mom cooked fish on the engine of her car lol

Cant remember the details but shes quite the character.

A Newfie smoker is what we called that. Placing a few carp or salmon caught in the Bay Water strainers on a guys manifold was a prank we did at the plant when he was heading north after a shift. Nice smell around Hwy 400.

With yesterday being the first of March and with a warning of a big storm heading our way I figured it was good day to stay in and make soup.

It was made from the left over carcasses of a few pheasants. Keeping it simple, a delicious broth along with the pheasant meat, loads of mushrooms, long grain brown rice, one diced carrot a few capers and topped with fresh diced green onion.

Served piping hot with a french loaf.......oh soooo good!

12804824_1570506876543374_22402552485669

back to Spiel.............

CAPERS!

Like pickled capers, that I might serve with smoked fish? I never thought of them as a soup ingredient. When you bite into one in the soup, does it give you that sweetish pickled taste, or does it just blend in with the other flavours?

Like I use whole cardamon seeds in my turkey and chicken soups, but always discard them with the bones. If I miss the odd one (which I do), the taste when I bite into them is always a surprise, and not altogether a pleasant one.............

Doug

Quite honestly Doug it's the first time I've ever had Capers. My daughter loves them on sandwiches with Montreal Smoked meat, go figure.

Anyhow to answer your question I purchased a small jar of them. They were rather large so I cut them in half (using only half of the jar) and added them to the soup just before serving. They worked well with the dish, you definitely got a little extra burst of flavour if you had one on the spoonful. I'd do it again in a simple soup like this one.

Quite honestly Doug it's the first time I've ever had Capers. My daughter loves them on sandwiches with Montreal Smoked meat, go figure.

Anyhow to answer your question I purchased a small jar of them. They were rather large so I cut them in half (using only half of the jar) and added them to the soup just before serving. They worked well with the dish, you definitely got a little extra burst of flavour if you had one on the spoonful. I'd do it again in a simple soup like this one.

Very interesting indeed.

I don't actually eat pickled ANYTHING except capers - no pickled cucumbers, beets, eggs, fish (rollmops), sauerkraut, etc etc. And I have only eaten pickled capers with smoked fish, which I do enjoy.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks! :canadian:

Doug

Very interesting indeed.

I don't actually eat pickled ANYTHING except capers - no pickled cucumbers, beets, eggs, fish (rollmops), sauerkraut, etc etc. And I have only eaten pickled capers with smoked fish, which I do enjoy.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks! :canadian:

Doug

Mmm pickled fish!

Funny shag I too love capers with smoked trout especially.

I used to use capers from time to time before the family got too big(and too picky)

A small amount in soups is great!

Pickled fish, yeah right.

I was in North Norway, and breakfast was pickled herring (aka rollmops), with eggs hard-poached in fish oil. I just had a (VERY STRONG) coffee.............

I like pickled herring but in very small amounts. Like one lil 3" piece is enough

I put Capers in all my tomato based sauces. I get around ten or so and flatten them with a knife on my cutting board. I then finely chop them and add them to my onions and garlic that I saute, before adding tomatoes or prepared sauce. They add a nice flavour to the sauce and will virtually cook away to nothing as the sauce simmers.

Bagels a locks as well!

HH

PS... that soup looks awesome Chris!

Here is a contest for guys on this thread:

NAME THIS DISH

OK, I quite like lasagna and if I do say so myself, I make a pretty good one but it takes a fair bit of prep time that I don't always have.

So yesterday I had a one-litre jar of my canned meat and tomato sauce that did not seal in the pressure canner, so has to be kept in the fridge and eaten within a week or so. I cooked up about a third of a package of Acini de pepe pasta, mixed in the meat sauce, then put about an inch of the pasta and meat sauce mix into a loaf pan, added a layer of shredded Mozarella cheese, another inch of the pasta and meat sauce mixture, then topped it with sliced Havarti cheese and baked it in the oven for about three quarters of an hour at 350. For the last couple minutes I put it under the broiler to give me a nice cheesy crust on top.

It is very tasty, and I would make it again.

But it needs a name! Like Speedy Lasagna (but I don't use lasagne noodles) or Cheesy Pepe (sounds rude) or maybe OIM can give a suggested Italian name.

All suggested names will be considered, except maybe "Doug's Folly" or "Loser Lasagna" or other less than complimentary handles.

Any suggestions?

Doug

Here is a contest for guys on this thread:

NAME THIS DISH

OK, I quite like lasagna and if I do say so myself, I make a pretty good one but it takes a fair bit of prep time that I don't always have.

So yesterday I had a one-litre jar of my canned meat and tomato sauce that did not seal in the pressure canner, so has to be kept in the fridge and eaten within a week or so. I cooked up about a third of a package of Acini de pepe pasta, mixed in the meat sauce, then put about an inch of the pasta and meat sauce mix into a loaf pan, added a layer of shredded Mozarella cheese, another inch of the pasta and meat sauce mixture, then topped it with sliced Havarti cheese and baked it in the oven for about three quarters of an hour at 350. For the last couple minutes I put it under the broiler to give me a nice cheesy crust on top.

It is very tasty, and I would make it again.

But it needs a name! Like Speedy Lasagna (but I don't use lasagne noodles) or Cheesy Pepe (sounds rude) or maybe OIM can give a suggested Italian name.

All suggested names will be considered, except maybe "Doug's Folly" or "Loser Lasagna" or other less than complimentary handles.

Any suggestions?

Doug

Quick and easy Shag"s Lasagna

2 1/2 cups dry Navy Beans (soaked over night)

1/2 lb diced bacon

2 sliced onions

3/4 cup molasses

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup Bigugli's "Plain Nasty" Salsa (thanks Bruce)

1/4 bottle of beer

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup Worcestershire

1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon Keens dry mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon of salt and fresh cracked black pepper

I believed the whole recipe thing until I saw 1/4 bottle of beer. Then I said to myself,there is no way you wasted a 1/4bottle of beer....... :whistling::rofl2:

That's an easy one to name your dish Doug AKA Shag, "Pasticciare d' Schiagonino". Or "Shags mess". Pasticce is actually a dish my aunt made, it's basically a white sauce Lasagna using layers of mashed potato. If not done right it can be a mess. I bet your Pasticce was good. Ziti is a type of short pasta, nothing to do with Lasagna. Baked Ziti is a casserole. A great layered Italian dish is the same ingrediants and layering as Lasagna but no pasta. Use 1/2" pieces of pre fried Zucchini rather than strips of pasta.

Capers are used in making many tomato sauces. I use them in Spagetti Putanesca. It is said to be the choice of "hookers" in Rome. Quick, easy and spicy just like them.

Brown garlic in oil.

Add chile flakes and capers

Add tomatos,

Bring to a boil and simmer until the spaghetti is done

Add pasta to pan the sauce is cooked in and add cheese

Serve with more cheese, chiles and a drizzle of EVO.

I think the capers take acidity from the fast cooked tomato sauce.

A trick Mom taught me, if the tomatoes are too acidic add 1/2 of a green pepper while simmering. If someone slipped with the salt peel and cut a potato or 2 in 1/3's and the taters will soak up salt.