cooking thread...

Down and dirty fries....

Did up a pile of fries in the turkey fryer..... Added ground beef with taco seasoning, jalapeños, nacho cheese sauce and a tomato onion mix....

Soooooooo good!

Sloppy pic as I had to dig in...... Before I thought to take the pic...

image_3.jpeg

I'm still here and given that I'm obviously still eating which of course means cooking. :)

I made something a little different last night. Some of you may recall me smoking a wild turkey last spring.

With the breast meat removed I put the rest into a big pot and ended up with three 32oz containers of broth with the dark meat divided among them.

Well yesterday I thawed one out. Mid afternoon I placed it in a large pot and added onion, fresh minced garlic, chopped cilantro and sliced carrots to the pot along with a can of stewed tomatoes. My hopes were that the acidity of stewed tomatoes would help cut the very, very smokey flavour of the stock, it did, very nicely.

While it was simmering I boiled up a package of broad rice noodles then quickly chilled them and set aside for later.

At dinner time noodles placed in bowl and hot soup ladled over top and served.........

Delicious!

N72diHR.jpg

ok, well, here we go. How to make a restaurant style, $150 for 4 + dinner for less then the $$$$$ for a take out pizza. It may take me a few to go all the way through, so if you (or your other half) don't care for shrimp and pasta, just move right along.... cause this one is how you do it.

We'll start with the end product,

RIMG1099_zps0dszgbvn.jpg

and now how to get there...

Starts with raw or frozen shrimp, not peeled, deviened if available. If you aren't familiar with buying shrimp, look for the lowest # on the package - it means they are bigger. This was made with 36 - 45. Peel the shrimp and boil the skins in about 2 inches of water in the bottom of a sauce pan till the skins turn red + 5 mins. (this is really important to get an awesome flavour) RIMG1078_zpsxolljauo.jpg

Remove skins put juice aside (this is an awesome shrimp bisque base for those who like that)....

Two (big) cloves of garlic (diced) and three medium tomatoes - remove tomato seeds and flesh (freeze or cook and can for another use later)

RIMG1080_zpsqbjbvvu0.jpg

heat about this much extra virgin olive oil in a pan till it hot enough to make water spit, or moves, add diced garlic and fry for about 45 seconds. Try not to brown it

RIMG1082_zpsf1ykvv8b.jpg

add shrimp, sautee till pink

RIMG1083_zpsibk1qgoy.jpg

for those who don't mind cooking with booze - add enough dry white wine to half cover shrimp and let cook for 5 mins

RIMG1085_zpsllwrmhas.jpg

remove shrimp and reduce juice till half the amount

pour into a bowl with juice from skins above (if you don't do wine, just skip this step)

This is the make or break and it is easy if you do it right - kind of like french fries - wait 2 minutes too long and they are burnt, pull em out on time and they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside

add butter to the pan and melt, then add a bit of flour, and mix it in. Do not stop moving, Once it looks like a paste, add the juicesRIMG1090_zps7ix13fbk.jpg

from the previous step

RIMG1091_zpstfxhvnvb.jpg

RIMG1092_zpsehtvvbw2.jpg

stir!!!!

RIMG1093_zpstuhpaltz.jpg

add shrimp. tomato

RIMG1094_zpsy2d7fheu.jpg

add oregano, a dash of basil, some Romano or Parmesan and S&P and some whipping cream or half and half (milk will curdle) - again, lactose intolerant, just drop the milk part - tastes just as good.....RIMG1096_zpszw12oomp.jpg

pour over cooked pasta

and we are back where we started

RIMG1097_zpspqg1tesq.jpg

shrimp - $10.00

Pasta - $5.00 (half a package)

Tomatoes - $4.00

cooking wine - about $1.00

the rest.... no charge

I sprinkled mine with hot pepper seeds and served with a ceasar salad.

it took me longer to write this than do it.

bon apetit

ok, well, here we go. How to make a restaurant style, $150 for 4 + dinner for less then the $$$$$ for a take out pizza. It may take me a few to go all the way through, so if you (or your other half) don't care for shrimp and pasta, just move right along.... cause this one is how you do it.

We'll start with the end product,

RIMG1099_zps0dszgbvn.jpg

and now how to get there...

Starts with raw or frozen shrimp, not peeled, deviened if available. If you aren't familiar with buying shrimp, look for the lowest # on the package - it means they are bigger. This was made with 36 - 45. Peel the shrimp and boil the skins in about 2 inches of water in the bottom of a sauce pan till the skins turn red + 5 mins. (this is really important to get an awesome flavour) RIMG1078_zpsxolljauo.jpg

Remove skins put juice aside (this is an awesome shrimp bisque base for those who like that)....

Two (big) cloves of garlic (diced) and three medium tomatoes - remove tomato seeds and flesh (freeze or cook and can for another use later)

RIMG1080_zpsqbjbvvu0.jpg

heat about this much extra virgin olive oil in a pan till it hot enough to make water spit, or moves, add diced garlic and fry for about 45 seconds. Try not to brown it

RIMG1082_zpsf1ykvv8b.jpg

add shrimp, sautee till pink

RIMG1083_zpsibk1qgoy.jpg

for those who don't mind cooking with booze - add enough dry white wine to half cover shrimp and let cook for 5 mins

RIMG1085_zpsllwrmhas.jpg

remove shrimp and reduce juice till half the amount

pour into a bowl with juice from skins above (if you don't do wine, just skip this step)

This is the make or break and it is easy if you do it right - kind of like french fries - wait 2 minutes too long and they are burnt, pull em out on time and they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside

add butter to the pan and melt, then add a bit of flour, and mix it in. Do not stop moving, Once it looks like a paste, add the juicesRIMG1090_zps7ix13fbk.jpg

from the previous step

RIMG1091_zpstfxhvnvb.jpg

RIMG1092_zpsehtvvbw2.jpg

stir!!!!

RIMG1093_zpstuhpaltz.jpg

add shrimp. tomato

RIMG1094_zpsy2d7fheu.jpg

add oregano, a dash of basil, some Romano or Parmesan and S&P and some whipping cream or half and half (milk will curdle) - again, lactose intolerant, just drop the milk part - tastes just as good.....RIMG1096_zpszw12oomp.jpg

pour over cooked pasta

and we are back where we started

RIMG1097_zpspqg1tesq.jpg

shrimp - $10.00

Pasta - $5.00 (half a package)

Tomatoes - $4.00

cooking wine - about $1.00

the rest.... no charge

I sprinkled mine with hot pepper seeds and served with a ceasar salad.

it took me longer to write this than do it.

bon apetit

That looks unreal good!