cooking thread...

Ok shag and others in this thread, here is a frybread recipe?

4 cups all purpose flour

2 tbl spoons of baking powder

2 teaspoons salt

Mix dry ingredients good

Add 2 cups of milk and stir into a dough(it wont look like the prettiest dough lol, kinda flaky) let the dough rest maybe 5 to 10 mins

Heat up about 2" of veg oil in a frypan on 4-4 1/2, make sure its as hot as itll get.

on a good surface(i use a plasic cutting board) add just abit of flour to keep dough from sticking. Add abit to your hands as well.

pinch off a piece a little bigger then a gold ball. Roll gently into a ball. Flatten it on your surface lightly. Just a few pushed down dont overwork it or itll cook like a hockey puck lol.

add to the oil until golden on one side then flip and repeat. Remove and add to a papertowel to rest.

you can also poke a whole in it before adding to the oil to make sure the inside cooks through(you wont need to once you get the hang of cooking frybread)

This recipe makes about 10-12 pieces

Well I'm sitting here in the house getting caught up in the kitchen. Tonight's supper will be pork chops marinated in apple juice, cardamom and a blend of poultry seasonings.

While that marinates I'll make me another batch of fish coating.

After that we'll do the prep work for tomorrow's supper, as I'll be peddling my wares at the Ancaster fishing sale tomorrow. The dish requested by the clan is a crockpot cabbage roll casserole. All the goodness of a cabbage roll without all the fiddling around. Just layer it like a lasagna and cook for 6 hours.

m2b2,thanks for the recipe.

There is a restaurant in Dryden called Kokums Bannock Shack,they use bannock in place of buns on all their burgers,one of my favorite places to eat.

They also have a small fleet of food trailers & a bus converted to food truck that travel to Pow Wows & different events throughout the area.

If you come across them in your travels give them a try.

Their "Moose Balls" are sooo good,made of deep fried bannock sprinkled with brown sugar & cinnamon.

Blue lk, they visit are RRFN powwow every year and they are very good! A "bannock" burger, actually a frybread burger lol is super good but boy are the filling! My favorite is making breakfast sandwhiches with fry bread, super good!!!

Bigugli, frybread and bannock are both super easy to make and yes, its even tastier on a shorelunch or camping trip?

Im telling ya though frybread is pretty addicting. Its a heavy bread and hold up very well to soups and chillis etc.

Soon, like me, youll be making a batch or two a couple times a week. If you save your oil, i cant think of a cheaper bread to make

Edited by manitoubass2

Ohhhh I have got to try those breads... Just showed the wife the pictures and she says she will try making some up! Sweet!

This is my weekend off work, so naturally we did our shopping. No frills had Brussel sprouts and green beans on sale.... I have been prepping and blanching them for the last 2 hours.... (I bought a lot) getting them ready for the freezer...

Lyndsey was busy making soup... We had some leftover ham from the other night, she was busy simmering the bone and left over meat.

so tonight's supper is split pea and ham soup, we picked up a nice baguette, as well as a salad... I will post up some pictures if I get the chance later.

G

Ohhhh I have got to try those breads... Just showed the wife the pictures and she says she will try making some up! Sweet!

This is my weekend off work, so naturally we did our shopping. No frills had Brussel sprouts and green beans on sale.... I have been prepping and blanching them for the last 2 hours.... (I bought a lot) getting them ready for the freezer...

Lyndsey was busy making soup... We had some leftover ham from the other night, she was busy simmering the bone and left over meat.

so tonight's supper is split pea and ham soup, we picked up a nice baguette, as well as a salad... I will post up some pictures if I get the chance later.

G

Gerritt, is the better half gonna make frybread and or bannock?

To me frybread is better but I still make alot of bannock.

Let me know if she wants to make loafs of bannock and ill put the recipe up here. Its unreal easy but I have a few tips as well(like bake it on parchment paper so it dont stick to the dish lol)

Just made some pork back ribs that were amazing! Left the rack out to come up to room temperature, cut them into 3 rib sections, sprinkled lightly with with coarse sea salt and a little smoked paprika then put them on the BBQ at a nice low heat (roughly 200°C for about 4 hours turning them only twice.

They crusted beautifully on the outside and when you bit into them the juce ran down your chin. best ribs I have ever made and yet so simple!

GF found this on Facebook yesterday & I had just returned from the local COOP where they had pork tenderloin on sale.

With that kind of coincidence,I had to try out the recipe today.

I overcooked it a little but it was still pretty good

photo IMG_20150328_145747_zpsnqaqiiik.jpg

I suppose I should have taken a photo again tonight, but my wife is already thinking about having me put away, don't want to give her any more ammo!

I took a couple jars of my "canned" Canada Goose breasts with maple syrup and bacon, shredded them with a couple spoons (a la pulled pork), added about a cup of Diana's Gourmet Maple BBQ Sauce, some Back Eddy's Southwest Seasoning, about 2 tbsp. of real maple syrup, and heated it up real slow to just about percolating. In the meantime I steamed a goodly amount of basmati rice. Mixed them together, then sprinkled the serving on the plate with shredded mozzarella cheese.

It was FABULOUS, even if I do say so myself...........

Doug

If I were closer I would bring you some Doctor Doug's Healing Chicken Soup, but RRFN is an awful long ways from K-town. Like four or five days drive!

Lol thanks shag, its the thought that counts.

My wife made a really good and hearty chicken garlic and coucous soup. She just loaded it with garlic too mmmmm

Ooops I meant quinoa not couscous

Edited by manitoubass2

Hopefully pic works this time. Salt crusted Spanish mackerel. 2.5 lbs of salt mixed with 3 egg whites to get it pasty. Fish fully covered and baked about 20min. Very juicy. Basically steams the fish with its own juice. Do the fish whole just gutted. The salt makes a hard crust that you chip off then just peel the fish skin off and pull the meat off the bones and serve. Had this with some beef heart tartar for appetizer and Mediterranean style Israeli couscous.

image.jpg

Edited by Consigliere

Shag,as requested,

2 loins cut in half

1 lb bacon

3/4 cup soya sauce

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 Tbs minced garlic

1 Tbs vinegar

Wrap loins in bacon & poke holes in meat.

Mix other ingredients well in a small bowl.

Pour over loins in suitable baking dish,marinade 3-4 hours in fridge.

300 deg oven for 2-3 hrs

Cover with foil after 1 1/2 hrs.

Slice & return to sauce before serving.

This is pretty close to the original recipe,but next time maybe I would reduce the soya sauce to 1/2 cup or maybe use a low sodium soya sauce.

I left it in oven for 2 1/2 hrs & overcooked it.

I think this might be good with some maple syrup instead of the brown sugar.

Everything here just makes me hungry so I got up and put this on for dinner.

A 13lb smoked pork picnic shoulder in the slow cooker with some apple cider vinegar and onion, bay leaf and fresh cracked black pepper.

Around noon I'll add cabbage, red potatoes and carrots with a splash of honey.

You can be sure a split pea soup will follow before the week's over.

DCZhOde.jpg