cooking thread...

OK so I am on an egg theme this week,

Thought I would try to make eggs benedict this morning for the family, and no I did not ask Rick to post a pic of this one, they are worse if u can believe it than the boiled egg pic, :tease:

The plan was to have potato patties as the base with bacon, ya baby, on top with the eggs over bacon , topped with hollandaise sauce,,,,,,,,,I was able to salvage the yokes lol, but in some videos they show some strange white substance attached to the yoke, when they come out of the pot :wallbash: :wallbash:

Anyone have a surefire way of doing the eggs, I tried a medium, boil for some and then a low boil

Thx

I think this may be the best breakfast sammich ever built!!!

cheese, ham, bacon and a couple of eggs on a bun fried in bacon grease!!!!

It was unbelievably good!!!

Especially when paired with a perfectly brewed 2 shot mocha!!!

Not to play one up drifter, but ive done nearly the same but put a nice piece of crappie on there!!!

Back to my diet tomorrow. :D

12065471_1261192563907080_69550661788837

OK so I am on an egg theme this week,

Thought I would try to make eggs benedict this morning for the family, and no I did not ask Rick to post a pic of this one, they are worse if u can believe it than the boiled egg pic, :tease:

The plan was to have potato patties as the base with bacon, ya baby, on top with the eggs over bacon , topped with hollandaise sauce,,,,,,,,,I was able to salvage the yokes lol, but in some videos they show some strange white substance attached to the yoke, when they come out of the pot :wallbash: :wallbash:

Anyone have a surefire way of doing the eggs, I tried a medium, boil for some and then a low boil

Thx

Have a look at this for a good poached egg; I've done it this way for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpsK6lKtnqI

Dan

Dan D that is awesome so fast and easy my wife is smiling When I made them for my wife this morning she had that look on her face like the old cereal commercial when the one kid said I'm not trying it let Mikey try it lol. Think she gave me a 7 out of ten for effort. ?

Speaking of beacon.

10Lbs of pork belly, fresh form the abattoir.

906.jpg

Cut into smaller slabs giving more surface area for the cure to absorb.

907.jpg

The Cure.

1 cup of kosher salt

2 cups brown sugar

4 table spoons of course ground black pepper

4 table spoon of dried crushed red pepper

4 table spoons of dried onion flakes

4 table spoons crushed garlic

2 tea spoons of thyme

2 tea spoons of crushed bay leaves

2 tea spoons of pink salt (Cure 1)

908.jpg

Mix cure and rub into pork blelly.

Cover in air tight container and place in fridge.

909.jpg

Once a day remove from fridge and flip pork over, recover with the now moist cure in bottom of container.

Place back in fridge.

After 36 hrs the moister has really started coming out of the meat.

910.jpg

After 7 days the pork belly will be cured and ready to be rinsed off and then soaked in cold water for a couple of hours to draw out some of the salt.

After that it's ready to be sliced and pan fried or it can go into the smoker to give it that great smoked flavor that my wife doesn't like. LOL

This batch is going to be 50/50 of just cured and cured and smoked.

I'll post again when to curing is done.

Dan.

Dan that looks incredible, we cannot get a slab like that up here at all, interesting recipie, please keep us posted on the results, by the way we tried the egg in the microwave with a bit of water,,,,,,turned out perfect thank you :worthy:, I can get pork bellies in a 2 lb slab only, but am going to give your recipie a go

Just be careful with the pink salt for that small amount of pork. I wouldn't put anymore then a 1/4 tea spoon in. Some people don't like using cure 1 salt because it's has 6.25% sodium nitrite in, with the remainder being table salt. Sodium nitrite is toxic and will make you sick (or worse) if to much is ingested; but for curing meats (used properly); it kills and stops bacteria from forming and it is also what keeps the pink colour of the meat.

Your chose let the bacteria kill you or the sodium nitrite; for me its an extra precaution using it (properly) not to get us sick from eating home preserved meats.

I still have some smoked beacon in the freezer; but I needed an excuse to use this bad boy, I just bought off of Kijiji.

IMG_0571.JPG

Its an older Hobart commercial slicer; it took two of us to carry the thing. LOL

Dan

That's a real mans meat slicer lol, bought one from ctc a few months ago when we tried Cliffs pork belly recipie, which is also very good , the one from ctc is kinda flimsy but still gived a pretty uniform cut, yours will last forever by the looks of it, well done

One of my favorite treats to eat are homemade preserves. Between wifey and I we put some good hours in the kitchen this fall. Most years I like to try something new. This year it was garlic and jalapeno preserves (second shelf,far left) and salsa verde made with tomatillos. The salsa is quite different and tasty and I haven't tried the jalapenos yet, but it won't be long.

We should be good for a while now... :) About half of these are from this year.

IMG_0666_zpsbqzvpta4.jpg

One of my favorite treats to eat are homemade preserves. Between wifey and I we put some good hours in the kitchen this fall. Most years I like to try something new. This year it was garlic and jalapeno preserves (second shelf,far left) and salsa verde made with tomatillos. The salsa is quite different and tasty and I haven't tried the jalapenos yet, but it won't be long.

We should be good for a while now... :) About half of these are from this year.

IMG_0666_zpsbqzvpta4.jpg

Healthy looking larder.

We do our darndest to have enough to last us to the next harvest. We have to do more this year with a number of large family events coming up. Nee dlots of pickles and such for the showers, baptisms and weddings coming up. Tommorow will be a case of red currant jelly.