cooking thread...

The Thanksgiving wedding reception went really well.

We started the burn barrel around 7:30am and got the spit up to around 200° and put the 120lbs of sirloin tip roasts on by 9am.

894.jpg

897.jpg

The people that I was cooking this for were not into spices; so that took out the guessing as to whether they would like the cayenne based rub I made up?

It didn't go on.

896.jpg

They didn't mind the idea of a beef broth mop that I would spray on the meat every so often.

The picture below was taken around 2:30 when the internal temp of the roasts were just starting to hit the 140° mark.

That's when we pulled the meat off the spit, wrapped it with tin foil and a blanket. I let it strand for about an hour be fore carving.

Didn't get any pictures of that but the meat was done perfectly with just a hint of blood in the very center of the roasts.

895.jpg

Me and my nephew just before we started carving; that's also when the battery died in my phone.

899.jpg

Dan.

There were around a 100 - 120 guests at the reception.

What a great mix of people they were; many of which had never been to a BBQ like this and were fascinated with it. The best question i got was; how big was the cow to get such a long piece of boneless meat.

She was a quite young thing, so I didn't laugh at her; no dear there are 5 different roasts on there. LOL

Dan.

I know people have been doing Beer Can Chicken for years,but have never tried it till today. A buddy gave me a couple chickens he raised himself & thought this might be a good time to give it a try.BIG free range chickens. I used hard apple cider instead of beer. The only downside was GF asking "why are you taking pictures of the chicken?" The bird is resting for a few minutes while the garden potatoes & carrots finish up in the oven. Will post taste test later(only if it is good)  photo 001_zps5wyuseru.jpg

back to Blue Lk, yes sir I can see what you mean. My wife has asked me several times about taking pictures of food to put on a fishing website. She considers it bizarre behaviour, which even though she EXPECTS eccentricity from me, she considers this is one step past that.

so GOOD LUCK!

Doug

back to Blue Lk, yes sir I can see what you mean. My wife has asked me several times about taking pictures of food to put on a fishing website. She considers it bizarre behaviour, which even though she EXPECTS eccentricity from me, she considers this is one step past that.

so GOOD LUCK!

Doug

I get the looks from the wife too!

And the kids tease me haha

Blue Lk, that is one hot lookin chicken, our turkey could have hid behind that puppy

Speaking of turkey I feel the need to put into the makings, with some of the leftover bird, one of Big Cliffs sinful recipies,,,,,,,,,,,,,TURKEY POT PIE, oh yea :clapping:pics already on page 19 from easter