New TV tecnology....NF!

lookinforwalleye

It`s all somewhat confusion....from what I understand the answer is yes but you have to be a certain distance from the set and the further you get away from the set the definition drops....I am more curious about the upscaling capabilities of the Tv`s.

As Bill mention the upscaling that I have seen before is terrible just wondering if the new technology has improved if not just may stick with Plasma as they have a superior picture to anything else!

And I am guessing that if you are streaming UHD content you would a fast internet connection and a whole lot of bandwidth!!!

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I live my LG 55" plasma... If I had to buy again it would be a larger plasma! I am not a huge fan of LED/LCD especially for fast movement (sports)

Anyone have one of those new curved screens? Your thoughts?

G

Edited by Gerritt

I recently did a lot of research on TV s,

Had a serious look at 4k UHD, spoke to a lot of people

4k looks amazing when you are looking at it up close in the store, but after 10 feet distance, the human eye can not tell the difference between 4k and a good quality 1080p HD.

Curve is a gimmick IMO, the curve edges catch the light during Day time and cause glare, maybe in a completely dark room it works good , not for me.

I ended up buying an 800 series 1080p HD LED Samsung, very happy with it.

looked at the 4K tv's, look amazing and seemed sharper to my eyes at any distance...but sales guy said it's brand new and basically not supported yet? not a huge techno guy myself but didn't seem worth the extra cost...he also said the samsung 4k tv's have pretty low hertz rating? 60 vs 120 or 240 on most other HD tv's, not good for sports or high speed scenes

still shopping but undecided between plasma or LED...the samsung LED is top of my list at the moment

if you were dropping 1000-1500 and want 55-65", what models are worth looking at right now

I saw the LG plasmas, but the samsung led's looked like a better picture to me, again not a techno guy so feel free to school me on some tv knowledge here

If you are looking at Samsung, I would go with 8000 or 7000 series, better screen panels and refresh rate.

I ended up buying a UN60F8000AFXZC, This was Samsung's flagship tv for 2013, I got it on a great discount. wasn't looking for but it also has 3D and intergrated camera.

I know a few guys that can't tell the difference between SD and HD, so they say. They are just too cheap to pay for a HD signal me thinks. I would always choose plasma only if it is in a room dark enough because glare is a huge issue on our Plasma. Every make has it's good points and not so good. I can see the difference between HD and 4K, but only in the showroom when they are showing a video on Blue Ray. I asked a sales guy at Best Buy to get a HD broadcast channel up so I can see it in 4K, of course he couldn't because they don't want you to compare, meanwhile all the HD only sets have been set up. Dubious little buggers.

My best HD picture comes up when I use my wifes glasses, time to get some for me too.

1,000 to 1,500?

aren't 50" plasma tv's going for like $600 bucks?

(those must be older models of plasma's I must be seeing out there).

My son recently paid $500 for a 51" Samsung Plasma so $600 may actually be on the high end. Best Buy and Future shop had a $400 model; but it was only a 720p which is probably good enough for most applications.

1,000 to 1,500?

aren't 50" plasma tv's going for like $600 bucks?

(those must be older models of plasma's I must be seeing out there).

Looked at a 60" Samsung plasma today, 1080, 3D, smart, bluetooth 899 plus tax....

And I made the mistake of looking at a Vizio 60" LED and I must say I was blown away by the picture and @ 1069 $$$ seemed like a good deal!!!

The last 3 TV`s I bought I went with the intention of buying a plasma and ended up buying something else....LOL and it might just happen again!!!

Does anybody know if Rogers offers 1080 on cable or do they only offer max 720dpi ? I recently bought a tv and after trying to set it up I went back to the store and told them that the picture in the the store was way better than mine at home, he said it was because rogers was only 720 , and suggested if I want a better picture to switch companies.

Edited by mikeh

I would pick a plasma for a edge lit LED any day of the week (Which the Vizio most likely is)..

What series was the Samsung?

The Samsung was the H6350...5500 series...and Visio edge lit don`t know but the picture was stunning I didn`t want to look at it but I couldn`t help it.

Kickingfrog - You must remember when we had to get up outta the chair to change channels!! Oh, & we only had 2 channels to choose from!

And going down to the local drug store to buy a new tube when they burned out.

Does anybody know if Rogers offers 1080 on cable or do they only offer max 720dpi ? I recently bought a tv and after trying to set it up I went back to the store and told them that the picture in the the store was way better than mine at home, he said it was because rogers was only 720 , and suggested if I want a better picture to switch companies.

Not sure if it's the same for you north of the border but I just installed an over the air digital antenna for my brother, on a 45' tower and he is getting 65 channels all of which are 1080i ABSOLUTLY free. The antenna and rotor and co-ax cable cost him $300.

Cable company, your fired!

You guys had a TV ? Actually we did too and got all 12 channels because Hamilton was located smack dab between TO and Buffalo. I was the first person to ever have a TV remote. Actually I had 2. Both younger brothers, they sat next to the TV and I yelled out the channel and they changed them.