cisco gonna be open on simcoe

ecmilley

Yeah bout the same size here. For some reason I thought they got bigger on Simcoe

They grow to gargantuan sizes on Nipissing for some reason. I would say the majority are 15-21 inches.

Good news for the simcoe guys though. I'll have to try pickling a fish or two this winter

Thanks Terry. That's why I couldn't find anything online yet.

Without knowing the limits and such until I get a hardcopy in my hands, at first blush, I think it's great news. If the science says a harvest is ok now, then I'm all for it.

I remember back in the day, having a couple of Cisco mixed in with a cooler of perch to take home, clean( arghhh ), and enjoy.

Nice to have those days back.

Edited by Mike Pike

They should leave them closed. They will get abused/overharvested whatever.. However, it might be a good way for the MNR to make extra $$$$.

Over harvested?

2 LIMIT SPORT AND 1 LIMIT CON.

I think the biggest charges that will come from people not knowing the dif. Then again we will hear,didnt know the dif.

when in doubt

herring smile

whitefish pout

so when in doubt

check it out

Ø Season: Jan 1-March 15th and 2nd Sat in May-Sept 30th
Ø Limit: Sport Fishing Licence: 2, Conservation Licence: 1
Ø The above seasons and limits are identical to two other popular coldwater species in the lake – Lake Whitefish and Lake Trout.
Ø The new season and limits can be seen on page 81 (bottom right in red) of the newly released 2015 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary. www.ontario.ca/fishing
Ø For management purposes Lake Simcoe includes Lake Couchiching and tributaries as identified on page 81 as above.
Ø On page 10 it lists cisco (lake herring) along with baitfish species which have a licenced angler limit of 120 for personal possession. This applies in most other areas of the province, but NOT on Lake Simcoe where the total possession limit of cisco is 2 (Sport Licence) and 1 (Conservation).

Edited by Terry