The Duck Lady

Dara

Because if you just plowed right into a deer at 120 kph you'd probably be dead too, if you mow over a couple ducks at 120 the worst possible thing that could happen is you need a new bumper. No humans killed

You're missing his point..

His point is, if a car is stopped for a deer and you plow into the back of it... You get charged.

If you plow into the back of a car that stopped for a few ducks, what's the difference here? The reason for that person stopping doesn't make any difference. You've still gotta be paying attention.

northernpike5391, on 18 Dec 2014 - 7:29 PM, said:snapback.png

Because if you just plowed right into a deer at 120 kph you'd probably be dead too, if you mow over a couple ducks at 120 the worst possible thing that could happen is you need a new bumper. No humans killed

You're missing his point..

His point is, if a car is stopped for a deer and you plow into the back of it... You get charged.

If you plow into the back of a car that stopped for a few ducks, what's the difference here? The reason for that person stopping doesn't make any difference. You've still gotta be paying attention.

Bingo...

Gotta say if my wife stopped for a cat...

And some one hit her from behind and died I wouldn't be crucifying her and thinking she's deserving of punishment.

She tried to avoid hitting "somthing"

Doesn't matter if its a big 'ol tree branch....

The driver who hit her was not paying attention.

I can totally see her appealing and winning that apeal unless there is somthing I'm missing here?

she did not stop to avoid ducks or deer

she stop on the highway because she saw ducks on the side of the road and thought to herself, I will block traffic and pick up the ducks and take them home.. it is 100% against the law to stop on the highway.

if you hit a deer and end up stopped on the highway is one thing, a car accident ahead

but not some random wild life on the side of the road.

her action was the major reason for the accident and would be charged, the guy on the bike could be also charged but would only be a contributing factor and is often not charged

Edited by Terry

she saw her and swerved without signaling or looking , she did not have time to stop

the driver of the bike , was either not a quick minded as her or just took longer to realize she was stopped or there was a vehicle beside him or he just was not as luckly

I have come up on a stopped car and it took my brain way too long to realize the car was stopped

first I thought thought this car is going a lot slower then me, slow down a bit,, then it was holy crap it's stopped hit the brakes

and I first saw it 40 car lengths away... the brain does not expect to see a car on a busy highway stopped for no reason

I'm not an expert rider, but my time riding a motorcycle vs a car/truck, sudden high speed manuevers felt MUCH more safe in a 4 wheeled vehicle vs a bike

she didn't just stop, she parked on the highway without her hazard lights on...if she had her lights on that very well might have provided enough reaction time

I was coming down a highway this summer and there were tourists taking pictures, no hazard lights flashing, it took me an extra second or two to realize what was going on, those couple of seconds make a big difference

I have come up on a stopped car and it took my brain way too long to realize the car was stopped

first I thought thought this car is going a lot slower then me, slow down a bit,, then it was holy crap it's stopped hit the brakes

and I first saw it 40 car lengths away... the brain does not expect to see a car on a busy highway stopped for no reason

this was a huge factor, root cause IMO....a few seconds makes all the difference

Ya...I think there is a bit on both sides here the more I read into it.

She stopped on the side of the road which by most standards would be fine.

But she had no hazzard lights on...thats her mistake

The motorcylce was also doing 129km hour....

I have to agree

CARE AND CONTROL ON BOTH PARTIES HERE IMO

The woman had stopped her car in the left-hand lane of a provincial highway in Candiac, south of Montreal, to help the ducks cross the road....

ya its dumb, but...the girl got out of the car, tried to catch the ducks...time passed...cars passed...

Then wham the bike hit...

Long story made short, she's at fault....but the guy riding the bike doing 129km on a 90km zone was also not paying attention.

Had the car broken down and been there it would have had the same result.

the only difference is she should not have stopped vs a break down which seh could not control