Video of a "sportsman" dragging a trophy Musky to his truck

Old Ironmaker

I prefer pike over walleye for eating.

As for keeping big muskie.....A well known, but usually kept secret, fact is that tomato plants balloon when planted over muskie parts. The bigger the better. Just cut the whole fish into inch thick steaks....dig holes precisely 8 inches deep, and 18 inches apart. You'll get the biggest darn tomatoes you've ever seen.

Isn't it against the law to catch and release fish in some countries over in Europe? It's all catch and keep to avoid torturing fish.

I actually have a neighbour who loves to fish but won't go bass fishing because he won't eat them. He will only fish for panfish or walleye, sometimes lakers. It's always a tough pill to swallow when you see a trophy fish kept, but no one is breaking any laws. Now if they have a freezer full at home, that's a different story.

Uhm, just a thought, but at what size generally do musky stop effectively spawning? I know that with pickereye, once they reach a certain size, their ability to create eggs diminishes. Would that also be true of muskies? Are we protecting the wrong fish?

HH

Well that's up for debate, I talked to a fisheries biologist prof who did a guest lecture here not long ago and he said all of that size of fish to ratio of good and bad eggs for walleye stuff is bull, none of their studies have shown anything to suggest that walleye eggs are less fertile as they get older. He said because the bigger ones lay more eggs it is likely that more eggs go unfertilized because of the satellite spawning, ie. some just don't get fertilized in natural spawning areas because the semen doesn't get to the egg in time and whatnot. So I don't know, just passing on what I was told... :dunno:

HH, muskie vary so much in size from one body of water to another, who could possibly know. I would have to say a 52"+ fish in the kawarthas is getting near the end of it's life cycle, yet one from Georgian Bay might be in it's prime at that size.

• 5 weeks later...

A muskie is a fish. People eat fish. Whether someone keeps one to makes snacks, or to feed his family.....as long as it's legal...who cares? We get WAY too carried away with this IMO. I don't keep them, but absolutely no issue with those who keep them to eat , vs those that keep them for show, or to mount. I stuffed a muskie 25 years ago....and still regret it. Had I eaten it, with relish, or to feed my family, I'd have zero qualms.

I, for one (and maybe only one), am awful tired of how we hold this fish so freakin high on what we consider sacred. I chase this species with a passion, and release all of them (exception noted above)....but they are still just a freakin fish.

Ban me if you'd like

A muskie is a fish. People eat fish. Whether someone keeps one to makes snacks, or to feed his family.....as long as it's legal...who cares? We get WAY too carried away with this IMO. I don't keep them, but absolutely no issue with those who keep them to eat , vs those that keep them for show, or to mount. I stuffed a muskie 25 years ago....and still regret it. Had I eaten it, with relish, or to feed my family, I'd have zero qualms.

I, for one (and maybe only one), am awful tired of how we hold this fish so freakin high on what we consider sacred. I chase this species with a passion, and release all of them (exception noted above)....but they are still just a freakin fish.

Ban me if you'd like

No need to be banned.... Many of us anglers feel the same way. Myself included.

My post was not to bash or be disrespectful. I believe this is a major issue for many people who legitimately do not know the rules and regulations in Ontario. I was not specifically referring to this muskie incident but more so towards seeing people catch 30 bass off season and keep them all. Same with pike/walleyes and salmon.
My opinion is people need to be better educated on limits and what the different species are.

If I could keep a small musky....lets say a 30"er.....I'd eat it. The problem is they have to be so big to keep, they're hardly edible by then. The kawartha's are loaded with them, and 99% of them are released. I don't see what the big deal of keeping one is at all. If its legal, go for it.

My dad used to keep them when the slot was 36"....they were OK eating, but still a little big for my liking.

I'd take a 16" walleye over a 3lber anyday.

S.

Ive never eaten a musky but I've kept some bigger pike for pickling or a soup.

Does muskie taste different then pike?

Anyhow if its legal whats the fuss?

I think in my zone(ill double check) but im pretty sure they have to be over 47" to keep.(checked it out its one over 40")

Thats pretty crazy when ya think about it. Basically you can keep a mountable fish and thats it

Edited by manitoubass2

I think the issue(s) that were presented originally weren't about poaching as it is in season, but rather - just because it's legal doesn't mean its right; I mean he was in a truck - even if it was an under fish it probably would not have been able survive lol,

I think most everyone has been respectful on a topic full of differing opinions and they are nice to hear in my opinion, but I do agree it might have been nice to see it stay where it was a month ago lol

Ive never eaten a musky but I've kept some bigger pike for pickling or a soup.

Does muskie taste different then pike?

Anyhow if its legal whats the fuss?

I think in my zone(ill double check) but im pretty sure they have to be over 47" to keep.(checked it out its one over 40")

Thats pretty crazy when ya think about it. Basically you can keep a mountable fish and thats it

Pretty much the same as pike, but they are so big to be legally kept, they don't eat as well. Just like any fish, the bigger they are, the worse they taste....IMO.

S.