Mosquito free camping May-June

huzzsaba

Bookings for May 2015 camping season is now open :D , so looking for mosquito free camping spots. Realistically, I know this is not really possible, and I'm not looking for luxury camping as I do tent camping, but somewhere where you don't have to keep swatting mosquitos or having to take a bath in mosquito repellant.

I already know of two places where I have never encountered issue with mosquitoes whether it was early or late in the season. Both are parks on the shores of Lake Huron (Point Farms& Pinery), and I believe its because of the constant breeze coming off of the lake. Gotta love the soothing sound of the breeze at nighttime :).

On the contrary, I visited Awenda PP which is on the shores of Georgian Bay the week before I went to Pinery, and it was a constant struggle to keep the mosquitos away. They attacked us like there was no tomorrow :o!

We visited Rondeau PP and while the mosquitos were not bad, the ticks were a major concern with the lime tick disease.

Looking forward to all the suggestions.

Edited by huzzsaba

I certainly do understand that that weather plays a big part. What surprised me was that the first weekend of June I went to Awenda and it was crazy. Less that 5 days later, I went to Pinery, and there was not a single bug to be seen. Both places had similar weather, similar campsites with sand base, and tall trees all around, with the exception that Pinery campground was closer to the water than the Awenda Campground.

I also agree that booking one place over another is foolish because of bugs, but when the better half is not as keen on camping, its best to find a place with less critters :lol:

Edited by huzzsaba

plan for the worst,hope for the best

mosquito netting and thermacell are your friends...
the only time i havent had bugs was last may 30-june 6.ice out lakers in white river...there wasnt a bug,not one,but ice went off the lake 11 days before....rare instance,but man was it nice!

Edited by 123chadder

You will have to look outside of canada lol

ahaha yea, sounds to me like you may have to find a place close to the city to please your 'better half' lol :P. There are lots of nice parks around and in the GTA if that's an option and you don't mind being around other people close to the city.

If you really want to avoid bugs in Ontario you should think about going in the fall or later summer, bring a portable heater for the nights if it gets too chilly for you!

I go on a backwoods trip every year in the middle of May and have never had a trip with no bugs . Last year with the late ice out and cool weather

was the best yet with very little bug activity so like others have said it is all weather dependant . If I was going to play my chances I would be going

somewhere in central Ontario the first week of May and hope for good weather . Once the May long weekend arrives the biting bug activity in central

Ontario really heats up and in my opinion peaks around the first week of June . I stay out of the bush for the first part of June and so do a lot of other

people , just look at Algonquin park . The park interior is virtually empty at the beginning of June . Another thing its not the skeeters you have to worry

about in May , its the blackflies . Mosquitoes start there thing at the end of May !

Most of Central Ontario seems to share the same basic weather...Where I live, in the Kawarthas, the Blackflies arrive in mid May and last about a month. The Mosquitoes arrive a couple of weeks later and last until after Labour Day. If you want bug free camping try mid to late September.

About 15 yrs ago I went canoeing and camping on the Moon River with my son early in the season. We camped at a site that belonged to one of the fishing camps on the south side of the river west of the 400/69 bridge. It may have been the Moon Basin Marina. The fellow I talked to back then said that they didn't get black flies. So we canoed to a private little site and we didn't see any black flies at all for the two or three nights we stayed there. Fishing was tough, but my son was young so catching small bass from shore was fine. It's a beautiful area and perfect for canoeing. I see that another place called Moon River cottages offers rides to camp sites. They may be worth a call.

Good luck. Andy