Water testing at marine dealership????

landry

Went to a marine dealer to look at a used 2006 Princecraft 165 pro with a 60 hp 4 stroke. It apparently had 60 hrs on motor but first impression said NOT. was a great price at 10,500 but it had a keel saver - on an aluminum??? and the keel had definitely taken some abuse. My buddy liked the boat but they would not let us pull off the tattered keel saver to look under it and they simply would not allow a water test?! I found this weird. They would not give any sort of leak guarantee either. Needless to say my friend passed on it.

Do dealers not allow water tests typically on used boats? I think I would have more faith buying off Kijiji, water testing and getting a mechanic to test it that wasn't connected to the seller.

He is determined to buy a boat by Spring - this made me very leery of using a dealer.

Landry

First boat was a consignment, - made the offer in January, contingent on a water test (which didn't happen until April 15 due to a late windy spring); second was new - dealer wanted the test to make sure everything was right before I drove off with it. No test, no cash - something fishy about that deal, Lots available out there.

Big difference between agreeing to a water test as a condition of the sale to the dealer compared to "i like that boat lets water test it" and then i might be interested in buying it. No different then when you sell a boat privately, you water test as a condition of the sale otherwise you would be wasting alot of time giving out joy rides.

They would not agree to any water test before it after a deposit and did not want to add conditions to the bill of sale but said they would look after him. The sales guy even said "we just sold that 139,000$ boat without a water test". That made me laugh.

I am not going to name the marina as they did not screw my buddy over in any way but I would not buy from them with their current line of thinking. I think they believe it will sell as is with no conditions and they are probably right.

I bought my last two boats in the states and water tested and had a mechanic due a compression test, leak down and lower unit test both times. When I sold my boat I insisted on a water test after a deal was struck so that my buyer left knowing all was good with the boat.

Should have said good for you selling a boat for 139k and no water test. That was very arrogant on the part of the sales man. I think they know they got hosed on that boat and that it has problems. But are trying to weasel their way out by screwing an unsuspecting customer.