So what's the deal with Inline Ice Reels?

Sharkbait22

I think I may have expressed my opinion on this before, but I honestly see no point in using something less efficient under a claim of "no line twist". Is that not what swivels are for?

If you cannot control line twist on a spinning reel (especially if you've fished for more than a couple of years), you should really be rethinking how to spend your free time.

Hey Wayne! Never Give up!!! LOL

On another note

I see Gander Mountain has the Black Betty 6061 On sale for $49.

Is there a way to get shipping to Canada?

Taxi... :rofl2: Add 15% exchange, etc, etc. Or you can go here and get it for:http://www.cabelas.ca/product/62063/13-fishing-black-betty-ice-fishing-reel

Don't know if its the same one.

Edited by Fisherman

Hey Wayne! Never Give up!!! LOL

On another note

I see Gander Mountain has the Black Betty 6061 On sale for $49.

Is there a way to get shipping to Canada?

Not sure. I shipped mine to wny storage in the states, picking it up next week. After a code and cashback, I paid 85usd for the pair. Good deal. Lets see how they preform first. Supposodly the drag is suspect.

I think I may have expressed my opinion on this before, but I honestly see no point in using something less efficient under a claim of "no line twist". Is that not what swivels are for?

If you cannot control line twist on a spinning reel (especially if you've fished for more than a couple of years), you should really be rethinking how to spend your free time.

you are joking right

Let's put it this way - The marketing of in-line reels finally made it into the mainstream in Ontario last year. The inline reels today are finally updating their technology to have a decent drag, free spool, and other features that I may not be familiar with. Not to say that these are bad reels nor am I bashing on those that own one. You've simply bought yourself a new tool that has great potential to catch a ton of fish.

Having never owned one, I won't go into comparing. I will say what I can visually see in a fish tank with a spinning reel on a tungsten jig and small plastic with a small swivel a foot above. When doing small jigging motions (1" to 3"), the tail of my bait may have a range of 60° to 90° of rotation. (360° being a full circle). On a bigger jig (9" to 1'), the tail may go 180° to 360° after it lands but I have yet to have witnessed my jigs spin wildly with the swivel above.

More power to you if you feel that you can do better with an inline, but I will stick with my spinning reels. I do believe that the best ice (pan)fishermen are the ones with a precise presentation along with one other trait that we'll discuss another day ;)

a foot of line out will not have reel line twist

with spinning reels, let say those 500 icefishing reels many use has 3" of line per rap , so because of the way it falls off the reel you get 4 twist per foot 100 ft of line out and you have 400 twists , before you start jigging

in line reel you get zero twist just like a baitcaster

their is a post about the wallis cast with a pin reel, the guys were all saying the only way to get rid of twist others said they could stop using swivels using the wallis cast which lets the line strait out rather then the side cast that has the line come off like a spinning reel

I have hours and hours of underwater camera viewing in shallow and deep water and I have seen a jig sit and spin for 5 minutes without any jigging, Lloyd from this forum the charter boat guy is the very best fisherman I know and will bet 30 or more people here will agree.

he uses them.

Edited by Terry

a foot of line out will not have reel line twist

with spinning reels, let say those 500 icefishing reels may use has 3" of line per rap , so because of the way it falls off the reel you get 4 twist per foot 100 ft of line out and you have 400 twists , before you start jigging

in line reel you get zero twist just like a baitcaster

their is a post about the wallis cast with a pin reel, the guys were all saying the only way to get rid of twist others said they could stop using swivels using the wallis cast which lets the line strait out rather then the side cast that has the line come off like a spinning reel

I have hours and hours of underwater camera viewing in shallow and deep water and I have seen a jig sit and spin for 5 minutes without any jigging, Lloyd from this forum the charter boat guy is the very best fisherman I know and will bet 30 or more people here will agree.

he uses them.

X2

We've just put 400 twists and 100' of line in a reel that I believe most people claim impractical after about 25-30' when fishing. I'm not a pin fisherman at all, but then didn't we just somewhat agree that a swivel fixes (some/most) line twist problems?

Remember when fluoro was marketed as the only thing you should use because of its invisibility, no stretch etc? I might be missing some benefits of an inline, but I'm having a hard time being swayed that it is the end-all to ice fishing.

Let's just all be friends and go out and have a great ice season whatever your reel preferences are. I'm sure we could go days about how a jig that's dropped too fast to a fish will spook it, or a slower descent will make you miss suspended cruisers. Maybe I'll see the benefits when I get my butt handed to me fishing next to one sometime this season.