Braid suggestions.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I need to know what the best casting braid would be in the 50lb-100lb range. Abrasion resistance is also very important as there will be sharp rock and sea coral present. I will be using a Shimano AERO GTE 5000B

reel(carp baitrunner) which does not have a huge spool, so line diameter is why i'm going with braid/wire trace.

Thanks in advance.

Braids are not abrasion resistant, period, full stop.

A mono or flouro tippet tied to mainline braid might be your best option so that you have the capacity you need with the toughness you want.

X2 on the braid, had a really bad experience with using a braid, lost several fish and some good tackle, changed back to a mono, reduced the problem significantly!

I only use powerpro. You can spend more on other brands but it has never let me down but I ave never used it for what you plan on doing. The super slick casts better on baitcasters but since you are using a spinning reel, I really don't think you need to go that route. Plus, regular braid cuts through weeds easier.

Despite being around a long time, I still prefer Spiderwire Stealth in darker green. One of the thinner diameters braids and quiet thru the guides. Cheaper than a lot of braids too. I tried Power pro, too noisy coming thru the guides for me. Both lose color after a while, as do all braids to one extent or another. I don't mind the suffix 832, but it's noisier than Stealth. I have never found one brand to be much different in abrasion resistance than the other. The wire leader is good for the teeth, but I think some guys would use a longer flouro leader with it to prevent breakoffs when the line scrapes across the corral or rocks when the fish runs.

Well, my experience was with PP and I wouldn't go back to it if you gave it to me for free. Nothing worse than fishing for a couple of hours, hooking into a decent fish and having your line just let go like it was a piece of wet pasta.

That's odd Cliff, I've been using nothing but PP for about 12 years now, have landed lots of big toothy fish with it and have NEVER had an issue of any kind.

Be interesting to find out why you have the problems you do.

Well, my experience was with PP and I wouldn't go back to it if you gave it to me for free. Nothing worse than fishing for a couple of hours, hooking into a decent fish and having your line just let go like it was a piece of wet pasta.

Palomar knot Cliff?

This is rare but when I started using it at first, I was still tying the Trilene knot. It would slip out... and so will improved clinch sometimes.

lol braid is not abrasion resistant. try and cut it with your teeth or a knife haha. im not saying its perfect but IT IS INDEED abrasion resistant.

to each their own i suppose

Run it over a rock instead then compare that to mono or flouro, braid doesn't put up with much before it's shredded and looks like spaghetti strands.

Zebra mussels also rip braid to shreds. Not relative to many ares of the province but the sea is full of corral and other shells that rip all types of lines to shreds.

I love braid (or superlines), use them just about all the time and spools last years before I flip it around and continue to use it for a few more years.

But, it doesn't hold up to heavy abrasion the way fluoro, or even mono, does. That's just the way it is. If you don't need it, great, don't use it, I only use it when I have to.

Braid doesn't stand up to sharp teeth the way a good fluoro does either and there are lots of big, and small, fish in the sea with teeth that make a muskie look like a bass.

Guys…LOL…please. I need braid because of the line diameter to breaking strength given I don't have a giant sea fishing reel. I actually prefer to stay as light as possible anyway. Mono is not an option. I am not concerned about the teeth, I stated already I will be using wire leader, this will not shred at all and will hold up to the smaller cuda and white tip reef sharks that frequent the bay (last time I was there a guy had even landed a small thresher shark right next to me).

I know braid is not as resistant to abrasion as mono. However, in my circumstances I need to use braid for the reason mentioned above. Another reason for staying light is I will be chucking lures not more than 1 oz in weight. I know these lures work as the first three I sent out last time I was there were munched immediately but my 20lb braid was not enough for the job, I was neither bit off or cut off on rocks, straight weight of the fish, each time. Lost those three lures and they did not want to touch anything else i had, even bigger lures.

I really only want to know which out of all the braids is the most abrasion resistant, if they are all the same so be it, but some seem to say they are more resistant….is this truth or marketing., and if its true which is the best of the better….lol that make sense?