Suggestions on ATVs capable of snowplowing

okumasheffield

A honda foreman 420cc (newer models are 420) with the footshift is the minimum I'd want. But a good older working machine like the Big Bear or Foreman in the 350-400 cc range would still get the job done. Other than that, any 500cc would be fine. Get chains and those handlebar mounted gloves.

If you do get a smalller machine (400 or smaller) I would make sure it's a manual. Those newer auto 350's are just gutless, but the old Big Bear's with low gear still had lots of low end power. Like everyone else will tell you, Yammy and Honda are the two best but there's lots of other good machines out there, like Kawasakis and Suzuki's, Can-Am etc

Without question if you plan on ice fishing and plowing get a set of tracks. Last year I had use of a machine with tracks and this year I purchased the Camplast Tatou 4S for my TRV500. And if you're going to plow with an ATV you have to stay on top of the snow accumulation, it won't move a large capacity of snow. You're better off with a blower if that's the case.

All the mainstream brands are pretty good these days some of the brp and polaris has quality issues but also most hp.

yamaha tends to be market leader in durability bog thing full duty quad aroind 500cc.

Also lopk at dealer support whos close to you.

my Dad just bought a new Polaris Sportsman 400 (it's actually around 450cc), bare bones, all in, out the door for $6000

I agree a Yami would be better but the they are far more expensive

Higher initial cost, but that means higher quality, less repairs down the road and a much higher resale value in a far superior machine.

I have a 500 sportsman that I use to plow the 30 spot parking lot for my business. I chose Polaris because the 07 year was the heaviest in its range and weight plays a big factor pushing snow. I pared it with a 50" Warn plow and a synthetic rope in the winch ( wire breaks ) and mud lite tires on low air pressure. I've had a few repares with the sportsman, one being very costly. I'm happy with it but if I could turn back the clock I'd get a Honda. At the end of the day my sportsman has done the job in a commercial setting, plowed and towed trees in the ice storm and started first time every time even in last years -30+ weather

I bought an '05 Honda Foreman 500ES last year. The 4x4 wasn't working and I did ok with it. I fixed the 4X4 and put new rubber on it. I can't wait to see how wel it does this year. When my father in law had it, he would plow snow into a ramp and keep adding snow to the top and push it off, getting higher and higher with every snow fall. He never seemed to run out of room to push snow that way. He was living in Timmins at the time and Timmins averages 8 feet of snow in a winter.

back in the day 300 to 400 were the big machines and no one complained they didn't have the power to push snow

even with the big machines most times it's weight that stops you from pushing not power

if the wheels are spinning it a lack of weight not power