Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

I know some have asked about the mileage I have been getting, so thought I would post an update.

Did my annual drive to visit family. They are 4 hours away - KM showed 956KM round trip - Barrie to Manitoulin (Little Current). In the past we have taken our SUV (Hyundai Veracruz) which get's pretty good mileage. Generally speaking when we took the SUV it was one fillup to get there, one fillup to get home, and then one more once we were home. It was usually around $80.00 per tank - so * 3 -> $240.00.

We took the truck because - well because I wanted to. Filled up as we were leaving from just over 1/4 - > came in at $84.00. Drove there and back on one tank (still stoked about that), and filled up at home for 101.00. So that comes in at 185.00, driving a bigger/heavier vehicle, or a savings of $55.00.

Driving style was the same (I am pretty much a lead foot). Fuelly tells me 27 mpg.

You still have a full tank to empty,so really it cost you the 85 or so buxs for the round trip.

Dang, that's nice.

Im loving the mileage Im getting from the new truck. I have put in 85 bux so far and have just reach the 800 km mark. That's darn good in my books.

I sure hope manufacturers start giving us the diesel options that other countries have been getting for years. 27mpg in a light duty truck is awesome, especially if you weren't being careful. If I can get about 31mpg with my 4cyl 2.0L gas engine in my lifted suzuki SX4 with big A/T's, imagine what I could get with the 2.0L turbo diesel that's available everywhere else in the world. The mileage wouldn't even be the best part, the heaps of usable torque would be greatly welcomed! Wringing out the gasser to get anything out of it gets old sometimes. I love dropping gears with the 6spd, but it would be nice to once be able to just keep it in 6th and be able to climb a hill on the highway.

How's the tranny with that engine on the highway? I hear it loves to stick in top gear and takes a lot of throttle input to downshift.

I sure hope manufacturers start giving us the diesel options that other countries have been getting for years. 27mpg in a light duty truck is awesome, especially if you weren't being careful. If I can get about 31mpg with my 4cyl 2.0L gas engine in my lifted suzuki SX4 with big A/T's, imagine what I could get with the 2.0L turbo diesel that's available everywhere else in the world. The mileage wouldn't even be the best part, the heaps of usable torque would be greatly welcomed! Wringing out the gasser to get anything out of it gets old sometimes. I love dropping gears with the 6spd, but it would be nice to once be able to just keep it in 6th and be able to climb a hill on the highway.

How's the tranny with that engine on the highway? I hear it loves to stick in top gear and takes a lot of throttle input to downshift.

It is in a word - Awesome. The transmission is the main reason the setup works to well. It does not need to downshift for the most part - just push the pedal down and it accelerates - different from a Gasser - more like a freight train (unstoppable...lol). It has more than enough passing power.

It is neat to be doing 120, and have the RPM's sitting at 1900....

Edited by Tupelo

Im at 823 km since i bought new.

Im looking forward to see how I make out Saturday.

Leaving Barrie in the morning , Heading south to 427 and Dundas. Full tank. I have a few stops to make down there and back to Richmond hill, Then back to the hwy to head back home to Barrie.

Ca.... Califonia or Canada, we have our fare share of VW diesels up here so that stories busted. Diesel fuel in the US leaves to be desired. In about 35 years of driving diesel here, I've never had to change a filter because of clogging, waxing or water contamination. Heard some horror stories further south.

Read somewhere that the europeans won't put diesels into Ca. because the crappy fuel would ruin the engine while under warrenty.

We've got more diesel offerings in passenger cars/SUVs these days then we've ever had in the past.. Sure the fuel isn't the best compared to what they get in EU, but it's meeting emissions that's the hold up, not the fuel.

Edited by BillM

I have an interest in a new vehicle so I'm interested in this post. I've been holding out to see if Toyota makes any changes in their Tacoma or 4runners, but this Ram has my attention too. I've been reading a bit and found a comment from someone that seems to know some things aside from the sometimes higher maintenance costs and purchase price for a diesel.

"The current European "Euro 5" standards for emissions are not as strict as those now in the force in the U.S. That means that all makers of diesel vehicles sold elsewhere in the world have to incur considerable time and effort, not to mention expense, modifying their vehicles to meet tougher North American standards.

Given the small size of the passenger diesel market here--which has historically been limited to German imports and heavy-duty trucks--most makers weren't willing to make that investment.

Moreover, diesel fuel is tax-advantaged in many European markets, so not only were the cars more fuel-efficient, the fuel was cheaper too. That and the high cost of fuel in general largely offset the greater cost of a diesel vehicle against the gasoline equivalent.

In the States, however, fuel is cheap in general, diesel fuel is usually MORE expensive than gasoline, and diesel engines remain more expensive than to build than gasoline engines. That all made the business case for selling the cars here much harder.

However, when "Euro 6" rules arrive starting in 2015, European diesels will be essentially as clean as what's required for legal sale in the U.S. (All but Mazda will go to urea injection for the exhaust aftertreatment.) That considerably reduces the cost for any maker that sells diesels in Europe to certify them for the States."

I have an interest in a new vehicle so I'm interested in this post. I've been holding out to see if Toyota makes any changes in their Tacoma or 4runners, but this Ram has my attention too. I've been reading a bit and found a comment from someone that seems to know some things aside from the sometimes higher maintenance costs and purchase price for a diesel.

"The current European "Euro 5" standards for emissions are not as strict as those now in the force in the U.S. That means that all makers of diesel vehicles sold elsewhere in the world have to incur considerable time and effort, not to mention expense, modifying their vehicles to meet tougher North American standards.

Given the small size of the passenger diesel market here--which has historically been limited to German imports and heavy-duty trucks--most makers weren't willing to make that investment.

Moreover, diesel fuel is tax-advantaged in many European markets, so not only were the cars more fuel-efficient, the fuel was cheaper too. That and the high cost of fuel in general largely offset the greater cost of a diesel vehicle against the gasoline equivalent.

In the States, however, fuel is cheap in general, diesel fuel is usually MORE expensive than gasoline, and diesel engines remain more expensive than to build than gasoline engines. That all made the business case for selling the cars here much harder.

However, when "Euro 6" rules arrive starting in 2015, European diesels will be essentially as clean as what's required for legal sale in the U.S. (All but Mazda will go to urea injection for the exhaust aftertreatment.) That considerably reduces the cost for any maker that sells diesels in Europe to certify them for the States."

We can blame CARB for the lack of diesels here. Tier II Bin 5 emission regs are tough to meet compared to the current Euro 5 standard. Like you said however, once those vehicles are required to meet Euro 6, it should make meeting the current North American standards extremely easy.

Mazda would also be the last company I'd be buying a diesel from, you should read up on the debacle that CX-7 owners had to deal with in Australia with their new engines, lol. We were supposed to get a Mazda 6 with a diesel until all that crap happened. What I'd like to see here is the Honda 2.2 i-CDTi.

I'm not sure I see significantly higher maintenance and definately no higher fuel cost of a diesel compared to gas?

From Apr-Nov diesel is 1-4 cents / litre cheaper than gas where I am.. and 1-4 cents higher in the winter months. Lets call it even.

The oil change runs 150-200 at the dealer - ~100-120 if you did it yourself (10 quarts of fancy stuff) but the change interval is 10000 miles (16000 kms). Glow plugs can go.. as can spark plugs. Fuel filter is supposed to be changed out a little more often on a diesel than a gasser. The new diesel require the urea be refilled which is pretty cheap. Everything else pretty much equal?

is there any talk about putting a diesel engine in any form of non pickup truck?

a full size SUV maybe?

pickup trucks are useless for my needs, but I would love to look at a diesel, as I drive 600km / week (highway) plus 100-150km / week city.

They've already got a bunch, you could go buy one today.

X5d, Q7, Q5, Mercedes, Grand Cherokee.

Edited by BillM

figured.

the models you listed above aren't the best fit for back roads and back ramps....

although they are nice 'looking' vehicles ....

the grand cherokee is a little closer to my needs, but still small for my liking. (I test drove that one a little less than a year ago with the diesel engine...)