Spinoff: Do you wear your lifejacket?

BillM

If someone isn't a strong swimmer shouldn't they be wearing a lifejacket then?

Lifeguards are told to do everything possible before going into the water. The reality is watching your buddy drown or instinctively jumping into the water to save them. Or it's the 2 of you in the water trying to figure out how the bleep do we save ourselves.

Every year there are news stories about someone jumping in to save someone only to drown themselves. After the fact, friends and family will say that the person didn't know how to swim.

If someone isn't a strong swimmer shouldn't they be wearing a lifejacket then?

Lifeguards are told to do everything possible before going into the water. The reality is watching your buddy drown or instinctively jumping into the water to save them. Or it's the 2 of you in the water trying to figure out how the bleep do we save ourselves.

Every year there are news stories about someone jumping in to save someone only to drown themselves. After the fact, friends and family will say that the person didn't know how to swim.

Absolutely, who says someone shouldn't be wearing a lifejacket if they aren't a strong swimmer? That person however shouldn't be trying to rescue people either, like you said it will most likely lead to their demise.

You ever try to swim with a life jacket? Try it before you attempt to save anyone.

Absolutely, who says someone shouldn't be wearing a lifejacket if they aren't a strong swimmer? That person however shouldn't be trying to rescue people either, like you said it will most likely lead to their demise.

Strong swimmers also die trying to save people drowning. A strong swimmer with a life jacket will likely survive. The likelihood of someone drowning while wearing a life jacket is almost nil (I stress lifejacket and not a pfd). I'd rather someone have a jacket on and deal with those "problems" then not have it on, because we know what those problems are.

Strong swimmer or not if you see someone in the water that is in trouble you are likely to try to save them and rational thoughts are not high priorities.

I feel like we are circling the bowl and I'm trying not to be argumentative.

Strong swimmers also die trying to save people drowning. A strong swimmer with a life jacket will likely survive. The likelihood of someone drowning while wearing a life jacket is almost nil (I stress lifejacket and not a pfd). I'd rather someone have a jacket on and deal with those "problems" then not have it on, because we know what those problems are.

Strong swimmer or not if you see someone in the water that is in trouble you are likely to try to save them and rational thoughts are not high priorities.

I feel like we are circling the bowl and I'm trying not to be argumentative.

Maybe just throw them a life jacket,if close enough?.At least they won't pull you under.To try and keep them from drowning,not that they could put it on.Kinda like a life guard ring.

Edited by davey buoy

Maybe just throw them a life jacket,if close enough?.At least they won't pull you under.

Sure that is an option. Just imagine it they had one on before they fell in.

On or not, getting back into medium to small boats can bring the gunwales close to the water's edge and then maybe the boat swamps and 2 or more people are in the water.

I've done white water canoe courses and lifeguard courses and survival courses. I've done the water rescues from shore, from canoes, kayaks, tin boats and great lakes sized ones. It's hard enough when you are in shape, young (and in a group that is more comfortable then the average person in the water to begin with) and in no real danger do to the controlled environment.

In short, I guess I'm saying put as many things in your favour before things go sideways.

Good topic.

Funny I never used to worry much about my own PFD until I had kids. Just feel like to much is on the line and know that people are depending on me to come home .

As for the rescue stuff , I do it professionally. Water Rescue situations are a dangerous game with far to many variables at play, your better off just wearing some sort of PFD .

Any technical water rescue questions , feel free to PM me and if I don't have the answer I'll try and find it for you.

Cheers,

R

I didn't want to hijack the PFD thread, but I thought a few of the responses were interesting. I never wear one, unless the conditions call for it. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever had one on. I'm just not one to put myself in a situation where it will ever be needed (ie the guy in the 9ft dingy out 5 miles on Simcoe jigging in 3ft rollers).. The last time I had one on was a few years ago on Lake Nipigon, before that Lake Superior many years ago. I know I'm not alone as 95% of the people I see out on the water aren't wearing them either :) I'm sure this is going to turn into a crap fest but I'd at least like to see a few reasons from the other guys that spend a lot of time on the water.

Since I bought my mustang auto inflatable, I wear it most of the time. All of the time if i'm alone.