Heading to Nova Scotia. Family vacation

Gerritt

Heading up to Musquodoboit Harbour for 8 days with the family. I plan on getting fishing in. However I have not done this type of fishing before.

What should I expect to catch fishing from shore?

What should I bring in regards tackle?

Any tips on fishing this area?

Thanks in advance,

G

My uncle's place was just down the old highway in Oyster Pond. Bring a sturdy medium action rod. Beyond that stop at a local shop for what's on this time of year. You need salt water tackle. Wash out your reel often. I've had a lot of fun jigging squid off the Govt dock. Need a specialized jig. Lots of groundfish to be caught inshore. There are also some decent bass lakes in the area.

My uncle's place was just down the old highway in Oyster Pond. Bring a sturdy medium action rod. Beyond that stop at a local shop for what's on this time of year. You need salt water tackle. Wash out your reel often. I've had a lot of fun jigging squid off the Govt dock. Need a specialized jig. Lots of groundfish to be caught inshore. There are also some decent bass lakes in the area.

Thanks Bruce,

I was thinking of bringing one of my trolling set ups which have okuma saltwater line counter reels in case we rent boat, and something to jig with, any suggestion on line? As all my setups have braid on them (power pro) will braid be ok? Hopefully there is a tackle shop near this little hamlet of around 200 people, otherwise I'm heading to Dartmouth.

G

Braid is perfect. Bring a med set up, and a med heavy/heavy. If you can get on a boat you could get into some cod, but more likely mackeral or squid from shore. Your going to love it. If the squid are in, go at night....you'll have fun.

Take pics!

S.

When we were down in PEI last year I went out on a charter $45.00 for half a day, they supplied everything and we had a really good time!

We caught mackerel and cod and got to learn a lot about the local fisheries. If you can, try to find someone that will take you out digging clams, we spent the better part of a day doing that and learning about the different kinds. Then we went back to our hosts house had steamed clams and made a big pot of clam chowder. The one thing we didn't get to do was harvest oysters, we were going to but our trip got cut short because of the storm that destroyed our boathouse.

Don't expect to get any deals on lobster while you are down there, I beleave most of the zones in that area are closed right now. You can probably buy live lobster hear for about half of what we paid down there last year.

Apart from that, just enjoy your trip!

Hey Gerritt! Mackerel will probably be moving when you are there. You can pick up mackerel rigs fora few bucks at any Canadian tire out there. They are a lot of fun, especially if you get a bunch on your hooks at the same time! There is also opportunity for striped bass in tidal water, but I never got them dialed in when I lived out east.

Smallies will be easy to find at this time of year in most bodies of freshwater, but you wont see many big ones (compared to Ontario smallies that is). There are plenty of nice brook trout out there as well - they dont get huge, but they sure are pretty!

I've spent a lot of time in NS since I retired. The price of seafood there is nuts. When Lobster is in season Church dinners are great.

As far as fishing I was surprised to learn my Brother in Law and friends do not fish, boating yes, SeaDoo's and snowmachines they go nuts for. They come from a long line of Fishermen and consider it work, not a sport. Most of the guys I met while stumbling around on my own on few freshwater lakes in Sackville were transplanted westerners from On. I found that funny, westerners from Toronto. Can't help you on the license, they said you don't need one, I'm not sure about that. Heck a few drove while under suspension and thought nothing of it. For them breakfast was a large Timmies coffee with and extra cup and 2 shots of the Captain dark in each cup.

Find a local tackle shop they will head you in the right direction. I took a spinning outfit the first time and a baitcaster and 7' 2 piece flippin stick my second trip. Small smallies on the inland lakes from a Sea Doo. I did finally meet a friend of a friend that goes out for Cod. They set me up with everything. Jig, jig, then jig somemore. Caught some incidental fish Cod fishing. The serious anglers there all head to New Brunswick and the Maramishi (sic). Really where I was the fishing wasn't what I thought it would be. Out in the Atlantic is what I found great, boring at times but just the scenery alone is worth it. I never saw a shark which I was hoping to catch. Not fair to say the fishing in NS sucks, like fishing Jordan Harbor and saying fishing in Ontario isn't great.

Have fun and don't forget to kiss the Cod.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks Bruce,

I was thinking of bringing one of my trolling set ups which have okuma saltwater line counter reels in case we rent boat, and something to jig with, any suggestion on line? As all my setups have braid on them (power pro) will braid be ok? Hopefully there is a tackle shop near this little hamlet of around 200 people, otherwise I'm heading to Dartmouth.

I didn't see any boat rentals anywhere I was Gerritt, lakes or Ocean. I wouldn't dare go out even in Bradford basin on a boat myself if I could rent one. That Ocean takes a big boat. I don't see myself going out in a Dory alone not knowing the water even in the bays.

I didn't see any boat rentals anywhere I was Gerritt, lakes or Ocean. I wouldn't dare go out even in Bradford basin on a boat myself if I could rent one. That Ocean takes a big boat. I don't see myself going out in a Dory alone not knowing the water even in the bays.

When I said rent a boat, I was referring to a charter :)

Gotcha. I wouldn't hesitate to go out on a charter, compared to prices here they are free. If you are in the Halifax area and you want the name of a few good restaurants PM me.

Have a good time and go slam dem dere Cod buy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I was catching flounder off the wharf just last week in meteghan on the fundy side. Watch where you dig clams as it is illegal in a lot of areas... we also found a nice mussel bed but they were full of stones which are actually pearls.. kind of neat but no fun if you eat them..