Left hand walleye trolling reel w/ line out alarm?

scugpg

Hey I'm looking for a left hand reel that will be used for trolling walleye baits along with occasional bottom bouncing. I need it to have a clicker / line out alarm. Can be round or low profile. Looking for something small...

If only the tekota 300 came in left. Even considered a revo toro nacl 51 but they are a lot more reel than needed and drag likely is too heavy for detecting bites using the clicker/ line out alarm.

Also dont usually fish too deep so an okuma convector type reel would be too big and line counter not needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps something new at icast will be released for us leftys?

Thanks

Okuma has a nice lefty line counter out now... Cold water or something like that....

I also believe Abu makes a few models in lefty...

If you can find a quantum cabo they are lefty with a clicker and tons of power...

That being said I troll a lot of walleye and I am also a lefty... My counter rods are all right handed... Way more options... And it's not like it's a casting rod where your reeling in 1000 times a day... I use diawa accudepth 17s.... They aren't too big... Perfect for walleye... Strong enough to land big musky by accident... And cheap enough (69.99 or less) if one breaks (hasn't happened to me in the 6-7 years I've owned them) your not really upset...

I troll rod in hand a lot of the time so my go to rod I use a regular bait caster because I don't need any noise to tell me I have a fish...

Thanks guys. Might check out the okuma in the small size though its a bit heavy to be on a typical 7ft med rod. Steve I'll check the 5501 to see how it measures up as a line counter isn't really a must have.

Mike I agree most of the time I hold the rod while bouncing or trolling but would be nice to load in the holder and wait on occasion. Same goes for guests who want to relax and wait for the clicking.

Any idea if there is a reel similar to cardiff / calcutta 101/201 that has a line out alarm?

And is the toro nacl/winch the only low pro bc with a line out alarm? I can't seem to find any others

Edited by Spooled

i believe abu makes a version of the ambassadur that is left handed and has a clicker....i know, cause I own one down stairs that i use for cat fishing....

it's silver...5501 I think?

I know the 5501 & 6501's don't have clickers but the 6601CB I have does have a clicker.

The Cardinal C4 6601 has a clicker the 5601 does not.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Reels/Casting-Reels%7C/pc/104793480/c/104760180/sc/104259780/Abu-Garciareg-C4-Round-Baitcasting-Reel/1677874.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcasting-reels%2F_%2FN-1102352%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104259780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104760180&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104760180%3Bcat104259780

The Abu Garcia® C4 Round Baitcasting Reel, item # IK-134750, in the 5600 model does not feature a bait clicker however the 6600 model does.

9 months ago

CabelasExpert32

I can\t help you with the reel but I remember seeing an alarm that fits on a rod at newworldcarp.com...fairly cheap at $12 to $18

Unfortunately the website is down at present while Steve updates his inventory...

I too am a lefty, and all my casting rigs are left handed. That said, I also use the Accudepth 17, for the above mentioned reasons. I am either checking a line, or reeling in a fish. Its not like a casting rig that you are tossing all day, so the RH retrieve isn't that big a deal! For a primarily trolling rig, I wouldn't be without a line counter. Yes you can count passes, or count colours on specific types of line, but nothing beats a counter for ease of use! Just a thought.

Edited by porkpie

This reel impresses me as much as the NaCl...

http://protacklemuskyshop.com/musky-store-c23.php?cID=93&pID=354

Well look at that. Talked to Stacey about these last year just befpre they came out didn't know they had a bait clicker. Lighter and $150 cheaper than the toro to boot. Might have to check out one of the coldwaters as well since Shimano does not want to help us lefties out :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That Coldwater Okuma 350 sure is nice looking, I'm in the market for 2 linecounters, looks like something I could use for Big Cats as well as out here on Erie trolling. I don't find one on Bass Pro Canada, I find it on Tackle Direct for $159.99 usd, I don't like buying in the US.

I always wondered why most if not all baitcasters came with the retrieve on the right side when most anglers are right handed? Righties usually always retrieve spinning outfits with the left hand. Fine with me I'm left handed.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That Coldwater Okuma 350 sure is nice looking, I'm in the market for 2 linecounters, looks like something I could use for Big Cats as well as out here on Erie trolling. I don't find one on Bass Pro Canada, I find it on Tackle Direct for $159.99 usd, I don't like buying in the US.

These are still relatively new. Most retailers should have them in stock soon i would assume...