Some bass in season

kickingfrog

I haven't been out on water that had bass in season until today. We smacked a few but didn't get much with any size. My brother got all of his on the zara and I caught 2 really small bass on a jitterbug. I forced myself to use a spinnerbait anytime I put the topwater down. My brother fished that hot opener and had all ready caught a handful of bass before me so his fish don't rank as high as mine, no matter how nice they might be. :whistling:

DSCF0816_zpscff5a082.jpg

First bass of the season for me.

DSCF0818_zpse47f5726.jpg

DSCF0820_zpsb01c159d.jpg

DSCF0821_zpsbb986406.jpg

Action shot

DSCF0822_zps4de5ddfb.jpg

Last of the day before picking up the kids

DSCF0826_zpseb0d42dd.jpg

Looks like a really nice day for you guys. Sunshine and topwater bass. :) Maybe Jim knows something about this. I don't fish bass very often but when I do, top water is what I like. I have a bunch of spooks...small, large, old and new. I'm finding that the newer ones have a tendency to take on water enough that after 3-4 casts the bait won't float high enough and will no longer 'walk'. Is he getting that too? The older ones that I have are still flawless after many years of use. I can probably fix the problem with a little epoxy in the right place but I hate repairing new, out of the box baits.

I don't know how new his are? The one he uses the most is "newer" (the one in these photos) and is a super spook I think but it might be 5 years old. :dunno:

As far as I know he's never had one take on water. He has caught a lot of pike on it as well.

Edited by kickingfrog

Nice fish!

If you like the Zara, try the new Duo Realis Pencil 110. It is a little thinner but makes a lot of noise. I have caught some nice bass and pike on it. Also had a musky jump straight out of the water and miss. My heart skipped a beat when that happened!