Back yard speckin'

Rod Caster

My Brother and I took to the ATV's to travel the first 600m of trails, then took to foot as we walked down the not-yet-trailed escarpement leading to the small river that crosses a large section of my property. Twice we made the trip this year. Both times the skitters, blackflies and friggen no-see-ems were out in full force; both times the specks were bitting!

We had great action the first time, at the peak of blackfly season, averaging 11 inch specks with a few 14 inch specks mixed in. This time we hit the river during a strong rainfall, the action wasn't as hot, but we came home with two 13 inchers.

IMG_20140617_220527_zpsa3a12943.jpg

This girl attacked both my ATV and my dog.

IMG_20140606_194026_zps7f844a33.jpg

Oh, and here's my new catch. 9 day old girl! I just have to comment on how amazing mom's are... all the bush work and employement work I do pales in comparison to the amount of effort, concentration and strength it takes to be a nursing mom (and at every other stage I'm sure).

IMG_20140609_182910_zpsf0c505a5.jpg

awesome new addition to the family, congrats

I've heard an old timer say that the brookie bite is best at the height of black fly season

I can't make out what attacked your bike, ruffed grouse?

edit- oh yeah, your back yard looks a lot better than mine

Edited by chris.brock

Congratulation, Chad! Now, your life changes completely...in a good way. I have 2 children already, and the 3rd one is on his/her way...great kids, loved them to death. And yes, mom job is a full time job, the most challenging and rewarding also...Enjoy the time, they grow fast..

I can't make out what attacked your bike, ruffed grouse?

Yup. Glad to see them now, but I'll be ever happier to see them in the fall!

NIce 'specs - to have them in your backyard..... :good:

Great shot of you and Abby! Way to go

It's quite a jaunt to get there, no trails down to the water and across the river I have 15 or so acres I've never walked on. I've been working on widening my existing trails and grooming the hardwoods; at some point I'll make a walking trail (s) down to the river. It's not easy terrain!

Told you the worse the black flies the better the spec fishing I was worried you weren't going to get out with the new baby. Congrats on both specs in the back yard and a new daughter.

Yup, a much better average size this time of year. I need to haul the waders down and spend a good day exploring the river. If you ever add this river to your 'to do' list, let me know; I have a great location for some camping and free breakfasts!