New Ride (NF) - Ram 1500 Diesel

hutch4113

Hey there,

does anyone with the new dodge ecodiesel have a smell in the cab after you have been driving for a bit? I find it work prevalent after coming off the highway.

I think it has to do with the active grill shutters but not sure.

Thanks in advance

cheers

What is the smell like? There was something when I first picked it up, but it was probably just stuff "burning" off the pipes, etc. That is pretty normal for new vehicles, and will last for a bit. I am at about 700KM now, and notice any smells diminishing.

Remember getting a brand new Rental car - had 1KM on the Odometer. After about 5 minutes it smelt like it was on fire - but just a new vehicle.

Ya, my first thought was stuff burning off since it was a new truck. But i have 2500km on it and I still notice it. Generally after I've been on the highway and then exit and slow down, it does dissipate after about 2mins. Its hard to describe the smell. I know what burning oil smells like and its definitely not that. It does seem like a burning off smell, but like I mentioned earlier, it still seems to be there. However It does seem to be dissipating somewhat. I'll give it another 500km and see if it disappears.

If it does completely disappear for you please let me know.

Thanks

Edited by dracokaos

Check to see if you have a EGR/EGR cooler that might be leaking, could be an internal or external leak getting into the exhaust or onto one of the manifolds. You won't find a drop on the ground because it's already be burned up.

I am curious, How many K's are you getting per tank. It has the 121L tank right? whats that costing to fill up.
We are considering trading in our 4 Dr wrangler sahara, but not sure what to get. my current travel situation it costs me $100 during the week and extra on the weekend to drive the jeep.

Right now I am getting 18 mpg with 90% city driving. That is only one fill up, and with 800 KM on the odometer. Some guys are reporting high 20's (27 - to 29 MPG) with more highway driving.

Last fill up cost me $100 (about 77 liters). I believe you are correct on the tank size.

My Fuelly -> 296916.png

There are a few other Rams on fuelly now (with Diesel). So you can search there to do some comparisons. They have more fuel ups than I do, etc.

Diesel right now is about 10 cents cheaper than Gas - but in the winter will be about 10 cents more, so that is a wash probably.

Should also advise that 18.6 includes towing my boat twice - it was short distances, but I did not see an impact - either to speed/power, or fuel economy.

Edited by Tupelo

I believe the 121l tank was an option on the outdoorsman trim package. I've been down pretty low on the fuel gauge and only can squeeze in about 77l so I believe the tank on the Big Horn is 80L. Having said that I'm getting close to 1000km per tank combined city/hwy. On the highway I sit about 6.5l/100km or about 35mpg. Right now my mileage is at 9.5L/100km, 25mpg but that has been mostly city and pulling the boat.

I live in Whitby and for the past 3 weeks have been working straight days in downtown Toronto. its costing me approx. 12$/day in gas return trip.

IMO the Dodge is the way to go, especially if your looking at saving some gas but still want the power to yank around the toys.

Cheers

You are correct - I had the tank number wrong. It is 26 Gallons, or roughly 98 Liters. A bigger tank could be ordered, but as mentioned is restricted to certain trims (also some complain about in on the Gas Vehicles - it apparently clunks when not full - and you come to a stop).

IMO RAM is also the way to go. Should be a better tow vehicle.

However if you want to see a Jeep with diesel tow, watch this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRo4uNWCy5E

GM is supposed to coming out with one in its smaller pickup (can't remember the name). Believe it will be a 2.6 or 2.8...something like that. Nissan is also coming out with a small diesel.

Both are supposed to be 2015.

GMC Canyon is coming with a 2.8 Duramax in 2016 but that's not a half tonne. The Titan is going to be ripped in half if they drop a 5.0 Cummins into it, lol.

Toyota and Nissan have both been playing with the idea of a Cummins powertrain in their half-ton trucks, but it looks that won't be happenening until 2016 at the absolute earliest

Is it just the tundra rumoured to be getting the Cummins or is the Tacoma possibly getting a diesel too?

Toyota will never have a Cummins under the hood. Toyota has been offering a diesel engine in the Tacoma for ages (Not on NA shores however)

Nissan is the company that might offer the Cummins in the Titan.

Edited by BillM

Why do you say that? It's well documented that they've been in talks for some time now

I guess we'll wait and see what shows up at the dealership. They've been offering diesel engines in their trucks/SUVs for 30+ years.

But hey, I can't complain about more diesel offerings from multiple auto manufacturers. Nice to have a selection!

Edited by BillM