Arrrrgh! Ghost net found with 200 rotting fish.

Nipfisher

ghostnet_zps7da5fa75.jpg

http://www.nugget.ca/2014/06/09/ghost-net-discovered

A ghost net caused quite a stir on Lake Nipissing this weekend.

The net was discovered by several boaters and fishermen Saturday floating in the waters between the government dock and Manitou Islands.

Witnesses report the large unmarked net had about 200 rotting fish caught in it.

Jolanta Kowalski, senior media relations officer with the Ministry of Natural Resources, told The Nugget MNR staff are aware of the net and it is being investigated.

She said this isn't the first time the public has discovered a net floating in Lake Nipissing.

“MNR staff have located and pulled drifting nets in the past,” Kowalski said Monday.

“If an untagged or unmarked net is discovered, the public is asked not to remove, or otherwise tamper with it, but rather to note the location of the net and report it to the ministry using the toll-free MNR TIPS Reporting Line.”

News spread quickly of the discovery through various social media platforms.

A picture was taken of the large net near the lake's surface with white bloating fish entangled in it. The picture had been shared more than 200 times through Facebook.

Clint Couchie, manager of natural resources for Nipissing First Nation, said he is aware of the discovery.

He said registered nets with Nipissing First Nation fishermen are equipped with either a numbered white or yellow tag. Fishermen who net are required to report and fill out catch forms.

“Fishermen lose their nets sometimes, but we don't just leave them floating in the lake. We help them find them,” Couchie said Monday.

He said the public is being asked not to touch the nets and definitely don't try pulling them up. Instead the ghost nets should be reported to the Ministry of Natural Resources.

“When Nipissing First Nation nets are properly anchored to the bottom you will see a dead-head jog on top of the water.”

Couchie said not all nets belong to Nipissing First Nation fishermen.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time, or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Yes I seen this a few days ago in the media.!!! And if course nobody is going to claim it and nobody knows nothing about it !!!! Must have been the recreational fishermen who did this !!! After all it's because if the recreational fishermen that there are ghost nets found quite often !!!

The nugget convieniently forgot to open the comments on this article, sometimes I think the Nugget has a relationship with NFN. It's not the first time they haven't allowed comments on a story about the comercial fishery.

you wanna read all the ignorant quotes etc read the sun forums lol

High time to call it the way it is or better yet pull all native funding till we draft a fair agreement so we can let the curtain fall on this centuries old ballet once and for all. Whats the worst that could happen?

Edited by moxie

The nugget convieniently forgot to open the comments on this article, sometimes I think the Nugget has a relationship with NFN. It's not the first time they haven't allowed comments on a story about the comercial fishery.

ya, they never open up comments to these types of artcles, as much as there are brutal posters on that site, it would nice to open it up to some discussion...with fair moderation.

i'm disgusted by that photo. Most likely it was left there due to equipment breakdown (boat), bad weather or plain ignorance.

As most of us know, Lake Nip is a very complicated situation. At this point, there is no way of telling who owned the net or why it was left out in the lake. Assumptions are far easier then facts.

It has been mentioned here, to anyone with an open enough mind, willing to listen, that NFN are NOT the only ones netting the lake. Illegal harvest has been going on for years and will likely continue to, until enforcement becomes more than just lip service.

I have seen a willingness among some to discuss this situation openly and with the best interest of the lake in mind. I would hate see frustration with this situation and the others that are to follow, result in more name calling.

I'm pretty sure folks on both sides of this are disgusted by what they are seeing.

HH

Its safe to say it's not a commercial net. Those are monitored quite closely, tagged, accounted for when missing etc.

I've heard of a few instances were guys set nets, get caught in dangerous situations (like weather, too heavy of nets) and they end up leaving them. Basically it's a miscalculation (or ignorance) on their part. Still lots of people netting the lake under their 'personal' rights and they are not all experienced and well-calculated. Also, sometimes, poop happens that you can't control.

Like head hunter said, there are so many variables that could play into this situation. I just want to say that this is very upsetting but a sad reality which comes along with commercial fishing. Comments like "cutting the natives funding until agreements are reached" don't help. NFN has a membership of roughly 2400 members and have approximately 25 full and part time fisherman. Of these 25 there are 5-6 that are fishing just to supply their habits. So their priorities are alittle skewed to say the least, they are struggling with addictions that are slowly killing them. The actions of this small group do not speak to the views and ideals of this community, so punishing or blaming all natives really bothers me. This small group don't have children going to school and hearing their friends tell them about the Indians cleaning out the lake, or blaming them individually. I am glad the nugget doesn't allow comments, the blatant racism in north bay is disgusting and quite sad. It is a commercial fishery, regardless of the race.

Back to the issue, the nets found were well anchored had no float markers and did not have nfn tags. There was 8 in total and 80% of the fish were coarse fish according to the OMNR. Here are some possibilities

1) nfn commercial not marking due to net tampering and not having GPS to locate, and inexperienced at using land markers for location

2) non native (like gentleman who drowned last year lifting nets)

3) other groups asserting their jurisdiction

4) any first nation in the robinson huron treaty area

5) inter treaty harvesting permission

My personal opinion, it was one of the commercial (bad guys) who probably misjudged the exact location of their nets. I am not sure what effect prescription drugs has on a person mentally but I can tell you these guys look like hell, it is sad really. This isn't the first time this has been an issue, it happens a lot with high winds and people like Rod Caster mentions. These fish are accounted for in the commercial harvest.

The fishery is in dire straits yet chief and council refuse to accept that the commercial fishery is part of the problem. Not sure if it is because 2 councilors are commercial fisherman lol. as I stated in previous posts anglers are out in left field, NFN basically has the means to either save this fishery or see it through to it's demise. It is quite simple , the combination of both fisheries attacking the walleye prior to age 5 ( spawning age) hasn't allowed any through (3% of population age 5 and up) if the commercial continues these last few age classes will not make it to age 5. I'm not a bio but alittle common sense will tell the outcome.

Some of the community has made a demand that chief and council host a summit for the NFN community and they want to see all the data, until now No data has gone to the community from the band. They get their info from the nugget and I believe they see what is really happening. Hopefully something will come of that.

Again please don't paint all First nations people with the same brush and be aware of who is around when these feelings are being discussed, there is no need for any kids regardless of race to feel those kind of feelings.

Take Care my friends.

Edited by crosshairs

All the OMNR have to do is prove the commercial fishery is a conservation threat and the courts will rule in their favor. With the new regs for anglers just occurring perhaps they are waiting and gathering information and data for a year to ensure they have a solid case. wouldn't want to lose this one.

This is the only way I can possibly see anything happening for the long term health of the lake, the courts would ensure an accountable management regime be in place before allowing more commercial fishing to occur if the lake even recovers. Everyone should contact their MP's, MPP's and who ever else to demand the data for lake nipissing be reviewed because it shows there is a conservation threat to the walleye. Pike and whitefish populations are also down from what I understand, these are all targeted species for the commercial fishery. I am trying my best at this end, maybe if there was pressure from else where things might happen. Just thinking out loud.

Anyways the lake nipissing summit is being held June 24th in sturgeon falls at the river house museum from 9 -4. Register at lakenipissingsummit.ca. Perhaps the chief and the 2 commercial fisherman councilors might want to hear what the general public has to say. Their thoughts are clear, just visit NFN.ca and look at council minutes some of their views are stated there.

Happy fathers day all and enjoy this beautiful weekend.

I hope all of the people that have an opinion go to the meetings and then can be assured of the facts to reach their conclusions. As always thank you Crosshairs for taking the time to post here and show the rest of the story. . They are both insightful and are not defensive of the First Nation being above the law but rather doing your best to keep the treaties enforced and adjusted in the changing times of Lake Nipissing. I travel 13 hours yearly to fish this one body of water because of the fish, the people and the scenery that it provides for me to enjoy.

Art