Dandelions

mattybculp

Too bad the damn mole infestation I had over the winter didn't eat the dandelion roots...

I read that if I get rid of the grubs then the moles will move on...

Haven't seen any skunk or coon diggings yet so maybe the moles got all the grubs...

Sure was a surprise to see all the trenches after the snow melted...

Oh the joys of country living !!!

Edited by Beans

So gonna try making this stuff :clapping::clapping::clapping: Anyone ever gave it a go? I have a limitless supply of the " yellow gold" at the cottage.

Grandpa used to make a batch every year. I'm not exactly a fan of wine, but the dandelion wine he made tasted better than many store bought wines.

The best ways to get revenge:

-make wine with the flowers

-use the leaves in salads (very high vitamin A and K, decent dose of vitamin C, calcium, iron)

-pull out the roots and make a very healthy tea

So gonna try making this stuff :clapping::clapping::clapping: Anyone ever gave it a go? I have a limitless supply of the " yellow gold" at the cottage.

If my memory serves me correctly (doesn't always happen anymore LOL). You guys are due for a visit up here shortly. Want to try making a couple of batches? (no Steve that was BAtches) :whistling:

If my memory serves me correctly (doesn't always happen anymore LOL). You guys are due for a visit up here shortly. Want to try making a couple of batches? (no Steve that was BAtches) :whistling:

You and Sue still have to let us know when your free for a get together and a fish fry Cliff. I am so making this wine but I think this year is out as I'm not 100% prepared and most of the dandelions are past there prime and white now. Gonna talk to our wine making people and see if they have any tips. I'm hoping next year it will become a Bobcaygeon spring ritual and you and Sue would certainly be welcome to join in.

2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid or 2, 4-D is what you want. It's what was in all the herbicides that kill broadleaf plants. Not for use in Ontario or Quebec for lawn and garden applications. You either need to know a farmer or go state side. I have a personal vendetta against dandelions but now live on the water and have a baby in the house so 2, 4-D is out of the question. Heavily seed is my only option.

All of that lovely stuff you spray on your lovely 'lawns' drips straight into the water you love to fish.

Just saying....this is a fishing forum and everyone is giving advice on how it use/'import' this crap....and then folks will turn around and whoo and haaa about why the fishing sucks...everywhere. It might not kill the fish directly, but it'll either kill what they eat, or what they eat eats.

If you want a shnazzy lawn, maybe consider that you'll have to put some work into keeping it nicely groomed. Otheriwse, dig up your friggin lawn and grow a bunch of stuff you can eat beside your catch.