Trailer Hitch

Fisherman

Got a call this morning the local fuzz in Newmarket were handing out tickets for leaving your hitch head in the receiver. They must be really, really bored. As if there's nothing more important and they expect respect from the public and ask for help. Bite me. :wallbash:

A really chicken poop Provincial section:

HTA OREG 611 Vehicle Safety Inspections
Schedule 1
1. (1) The body, sheet metal and equipment shall be inspected and tested for conditions hazardous to occupants, pedestrians or vehicles and,
(a) no bumper, fender or mudguard shall have been removed;
( each bumper shall be securely mounted;
(d) no bumper, fender, molding or other part shall have a broken, bent or sharp edge that protrudes in such a way as to constitute a hazard to persons or vehicles;

Edited by Fisherman

Did the person that called you get a ticket for this? I think the story may have got lost in translation somewhere along the line.

Never heard of any law prohibiting leaving your hitch in the receiver. Only issue I can imagine would be it sticking out too far and not being marked, or not being properly secured and coming out of the receiver.

Be interested if you hear more.

Cheers

Craig

My hitch only comes out a couple times a year to clean it up.

I figure if someone is walking close enough to my truck to whack their shin on it, their too darned close to my truck anyways. LOL

I've heard of the law before but never known of anyone to get a fine over it. I personally remove mine after every tow and have done ever since I towed, exception being the ball was on the bumper. I've seen the hassle it can be to remove it if it's been in there awhile and seized, not something I want to deal with.

Did the person that called you get a ticket for this? I think the story may have got lost in translation somewhere along the line.

Never heard of any law prohibiting leaving your hitch in the receiver. Only issue I can imagine would be it sticking out too far and not being marked, or not being properly secured and coming out of the receiver.

Be interested if you hear more.

Cheers

Craig

He didn't get the ticket personally, just watched them being handed out. I'm sure there's more rampant crime out there.

Ya, I've heard of the law. I challenge any officer of the law to remove my hitch without a grinder or cutting torch. That sucker is seized in there so bad. It was seized when I bought the truck and I tried to remove it by pounding on it with a 10lb sledge while it was tied to a tree and someone was applying pressure in the truck. Thing didn't move so it's in there for life.

The cops would have to hire somebody full time to give out those tickets up here though.

My house was broken into 3 years ago. Of course I called the police. A young man came to my house took a statement, & was about to leave. I questioned him about following the intruders foot prints in the freshly fallen snow. He stated it was not worth the effort. Just a rant about the efficiency of our tax dollars being wasted. This particular break in only cost $1,000.00 to install 4 new locksets on the doors & a new remote transmitter for my truck because the scum bag stole a set of keys while in my garage.

He didn't get the ticket personally, just watched them being handed out. I'm sure there's more rampant crime out there.

So he didn't get a ticket so how does he know what the actual charge was? What section of the HTA?

Read 1(d) above and it's not for obstructed plate.

The quote you posted there is for a safety inspection certificate not a charge under the HTA.

Maybe this link for fines will point you in the right direction.

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do-i/set-fines/set-fines-i/

Scroll down to the HTA and it's regulations also.

Not such charge applies to leaving a trailer hitch in unless it obstucts the veiw of the plate under section 13.

This is the back of my truck. Since having it painted a couple years ago, I have not installed a rear bumper. I typically dont leave the receiver in the hitch, but do on my Escape. Because it sticks out so far with no bumper it is a hazard for me and the children when the truck is in the driveway. Have never had a problem with the hitch or the bumper(or lack of).

IMG_20140415_083942_zpsnqcius6q.jpg