NF-looking at buying a jeep

Paudash

I am thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler. My wife thinks I'm nuts the kids think it is great. I my wife drives sierra so towing is not a issue. I drive about 40k per year all highway and I just love the looks of them. Anyone else have one or any opinions and is this my version of the mid life sport car?

If I was driving 40k per year and didn't really need it to do the job it was designed for, I'd choose something else.

I agree they look cool, but in my experience the rough ride and sometimes questionable handling make them uncomfortable to drive.

Like they say it`s a Jeep thing....I have a Jeep Liberty and love it`s not a Wrangler but love it just the same.

MPG is not the greatest but having said that since your considering a Jeep you already know the MPG story,if your really concerned with MPG consider a Kia a nice safe family vehicle... :w00t: if you want a cool vehicle to drive that will make you happy buy what you want...

I owned one for years. Yes, the short wheelbase can make the steering feel touchy but you will get used to it. They are boxy so not the most aerodynamic on the highway either. They are cold in the winter too. I had issues with mine near the end of it's life which included dropping a hugh amount of cash in repairs to it, but I used it 50/50 on/off road. I think mine was a bit of a lemon.

Some guys say Jeep stands for "Just empty every pocket" which rang true to me and I swore a few years back that I would never touch another Chrysler product again.

Having said all that there is nothing like a Jeep, I miss driving the thing and have found myself perusing the local dealer's website lately. I have a feeling I'll be back into one in the future...

Do you plan on buying new? If so, are you going to spend the extra money and get the 8 speed automatic transmission, which will really increase the fuel efficiency?

I have only been in two Wranglers...a 95 ish and a 2013. I found the newer one provided a much smoother ride to the point that it was an apples to oranges comparison. I'm wondering if those who are ragging on the Wranglers are speaking from experience with old or new models?

I've had three over the years. Very capable of anything you throw at them I have not driven one with the new penstar 3.6L engine but would imagine great things from it with the 85 extra HP and better fuel milage than its thirsty predecessor the 3.8L.

The four door JK is the way to go, I'd get a basic sport package and then do your upgrades from there.

You don't need painted fenders , leather , or anything else upgraded after all it's a jeep and if you trail it these up grades will cause heart ache as there damaged one by one.

My last Jeep was a 2dr Rubicon, only way to describe it is it's basically an Side by side utility vehicle deemed road worthy. With the locking differentials , 4:10 gears, sway bar disconnect and upgraded tires it was unstoppable getting into those back lakes for brookies .

If you can swing the extra $$$ get the Rubicon JK . You won't regret it and if you do it has one of the highest Resales around.

R

Edited by Ryan Mc

My Ram 1500 gets better mileage than any jeep I have ever owned, and I have had several Jeeps. Wranglers are great fun to drive and awesome in the summer. They are pretty crap in the winter though. If you arn't going to be doing any offroading you may want to consider a cherokee. I have had a few Grands, liberty a couple of TJ's and a CJ. The new wranglers are much better but still are not very refined as far as driveabliity.

Do you plan on buying new? If so, are you going to spend the extra money and get the 8 speed automatic transmission, which will really increase the fuel efficiency?

I have only been in two Wranglers...a 95 ish and a 2013. I found the newer one provided a much smoother ride to the point that it was an apples to oranges comparison. I'm wondering if those who are ragging on the Wranglers are speaking from experience with old or new models?

We have had 3 in the family over the years an older YJ, a Sahara TJ and a long wheelbase 4d Sahara with all the toys. Loved every one of them............BUT what I was sayin' was if you are driving 40,000 hwy miles a year it's probably not for you.

Edited by John

We have had 3 in the family over the years an older YJ, a Sahara TJ and a long wheelbase 4d Sahara with all the toys. Loved every one of them............BUT what I was sayin' was if you are driving 40,000 hwy miles a year it's probably not for you.

Yes, but the 2014's have a more efficient engine offering 15% more MPG and an optional 8 speed transmission which apparently increases MPG by 25%. That's a claimed 40% increase in MPG over older models.

Huge difference in new vs older models, hence my comment. ;)

Yes, but the 2014's have a more efficient engine offering 15% more MPG and an optional 8 speed transmission which apparently increases MPG by 25%. That's a claimed 40% increase in MPG over older models.

I don't know where you guys are getting the idea a 8 speed auto is an option,

The 5 speed is the only auto available in Wrangler.

I don't think the 8 speed hits the north american wrangler til 2017. Its in the current year euro diesle wrangler. I have the 8 speed in my truck. It works very well but I do find the Dial shifter thing is very awkward to get used to. It does seek a bit on the highwayin the 100-110 range. It would be nice if there was a cruise in 8th lockout. Even if you use the manual shifters it will still down shift.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle too. I'm really having a hard time deciding what to get.

I don't want a full size truck. I've been looking at the liberty's....I dunno.

I might just keep the car I'm driving now, and get a beater 4x4 truck for when I need it. So many new vehicles now that just aren't proven. Seems like they build something, and when it starts to fail, they change to a new model. I'm not really sold on anything.

S.

I love Jeeps. I've owned tons of them and have two right now. But, I like the older ones. I just can't stomach spending over $30k for a car .... I don't care how cool it is. And if you finance it, you actually pay like $40k for it. Everyone is different though.

Anyway ... the 4D JKs I've ridden in were nice. Certainly not fancy, and not really all that comfortable .... but they definitely do have the cool Jeep thing going on. The Rubicon version has some awesome offroad features that make it a very very capable vehicle right off the showroom floor.

If you are going to drive that much on the hwy, look at a cherokee trailhawk. Its amazing on-road, gets 27mpg (mine is) and will tackle nearly all off-road situations. Dont pay attention to the nay-sayers, its an awesome vehicle. I've had mine 3months, 26,000kms and love this thing.

Huge difference in new vs older models, hence my comment. ;)

Think you need to do more research, lots more... :whistling:

I don't think the 8 speed hits the north american wrangler til 2017. Its in the current year euro diesle wrangler.

I'd be suprized if they put it in in 2017.

The 8 speed is to be discontinued in favor of a 10 speed.

Where I work will be making some of the gears for the 10 speed when it comes on line in a few years.

Thanks for the input, Gas is not really a issue as the company pays most of my gas. Not a big fan of the Grands not because they are not nice but because my mother has driven them for years and loves them so if I get one I would never hear the end of it. I was looking at getting another full size truck but I do not really need another one. I drive a Santa Fa now so the ride can not be much worse.