Staging Bows

moxie

Two weeks ago we spent the better part of 4 hours clearing ice 2+ feet thick from a nearby ramp with the intention of getting out onto Lake O and finally putting winter to rest. It seemed to be in vain as the weather turned cold once more and the onset of more bitter cold and heavy winds from every direction except the favourable North. Drove to the ramp Friday with the young lad and boat in tow and again the winds kicked up from the west so we turned back and drove home. It just seemed to stack up against us time and time again. Until today.

Wind was up somewhat at 7am but since it seemed to be blowing in a more Northerly direction we hooked up and headed down the highway to see what the day would bring. Bitterly cold at the ramp while waiting for the 2 stroke to warm up but once she found her running note there was no turning back. She ran all morning without a hiccup which is a good sign with the season of soft water ahead.

Just as we did last spring we pulled sticks and once a pattern was established we followed the edges of stained water and ended up 4-7 with two being brutes(one of which we saw) that broke us off in a show of pure strength. All in all a good day, especially considering the fact we didn't have to break out an auger for a change in order to catch fish.

We helped set the stage two weeks ago with our ice breaking exploits and along with the frustration of having to wait for favourable conditions made it especially satisfying to see some fish today.

Good thing too. The Bows had some time to rehearse their play and displayed intro to final act like only they can.

OFC 2014.jpgHen.jpg

Edited by moxie

Fantastic, love to see this. Proof the lakes aren't frozen to the bottom, Erie I'm not so sure.

Off topic again. Who me? What do you do for the 2 stroke once she's out of the water to ensure the -12C nights don't split open the bottom end? I'm told just run her until she stops pissing water out the discharge. Not so sure I want to risk a new 115. We're talking about getting out this month on big "O".

And I agree you worked and worked hard for them. There's the old saying the harder you work the luckier you get.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Good stuff Moxie! I'm jealous!!!

As for outboards in cold weather.....you don't have to do anything. Just run them, and put it away like you would in the summer.

The ONLY thing you need to worry about is water IN THE GEARCASE. If your lower unit seals leak, and water gets in there, then freezes, you can crack the housing open, then your screwed. Other than that, drive it like you stole it, no worries at all.

S.

Make sure the motor is down so it drains after you're done fishing. All I've ever done, haven't split a casing yet..

I lower the outboard and let it drain for a few minutes. Then I fire it up for 2-3 seconds max...you'll see water spitting out. This will make sure there's air in the system so the water will have room to expand when it freezes. Never a problem on a 200hp.

Good stuff Moxie! I'm jealous!!!

As for outboards in cold weather.....you don't have to do anything. Just run them, and put it away like you would in the summer.

The ONLY thing you need to worry about is water IN THE GEARCASE. If your lower unit seals leak, and water gets in there, then freezes, you can crack the housing open, then your screwed. Other than that, drive it like you stole it, no worries at all.

S.

I must be overthinking it again. I never even considered the lower end gear oil and water. Thanks all.

I never even considered the lower end gear oil and water. Thanks all

That's the reason for draining your gear oil and refilling in the fall, it'll get rid of any water that may be in there and eliminate the possibility of it freezing and damaging you casing.

Course if you find water, you need to also fix whatever is allowing it to get into your lower unit in the 1st place.

Most times a cracked housing is cause by people who don't realize what happens when they don't change thier lower unit oil in the fall. You gotta change in before things start freezing. A lot of the cracked housings I've seen belong to guys who thought it was ok to just change the oil in the spring.

S.

I lower the outboard and let it drain for a few minutes. Then I fire it up for 2-3 seconds max...you'll see water spitting out. This will make sure there's air in the system so the water will have room to expand when it freezes. Never a problem on a 200hp.

X2. Didn't even winterize the outboard as I didn't count on the winter we were blessed with....NOT! I keep her in the garage throughout the winter regardless so shes ready to go at a moments notice.