Centerpin backing and Main Line

ctranter

Hey OFC, 3 years ago I declared that I would never float fish again. Having had lots of success on the fly, and having been gifted a gorgeous Abel 7-8 fly reel, I thought the idea of centerpinning again was ludicrous.

Well here I am eager to float fish again but I find myself "out of the loop" on advances to mono and main line float options.

So, what are your main lines of choice on a centerpin? Hi Vis vs traditional? Mono vs "superlines"? what the hell is copolymer?

I should mention I pinned a ton before I took up fly fishing and I used to love Moss-green 8 lb Gamma Mono... but its discontinued. A similar line would be great.

Also, I am looking to put to add a flash of blue colour to my reel using blue backing. I Know centerpinangling.com carries it, but does anyone know of a store that sells it that isn't an online store?

Cheers, excited to start posting reports again (where did all the reports go?)

Lots and lots of options these days... As for backing you can run Dacron, parachute cord, whatever really. As for mainline I run super lines (6lb Nano in above freezing temps) and 6lf Fireline in below zero temps. If you want to stick to mono a buddy of mine uses 8lb Raven and likes the stuff, it's also cheap. I hate high vis lines personally, I find them wirey and just don't see the point of them...

It's better then any line I've tried, the only downfall is when ice starts to form in your guides.. Zero stretch, mends like crazy... quite a few guys I know have switched over. If you like long drifts and hero hooksets, this stuff is for you! You won't be disappointed.

Edited by BillM

I guess I am more off the wall... I prefer 30lb chartreuse Dacron backing and with my eye sight getting the way it is, I like the high vis Raven main line but in 10 lb. I still use about 6ft of vanish in 8lb and then a foot or two leader line.

Im in the same boat here too. Used to float fish quite a bit. I dusted off the float rod from the garage and noticed that my main line has been on my reel for almost 7 years.

I only have about 30 yards of line.

If you are not concerned about the look and colour of your backing , I would suggest using 10 pound red wolf ( the cheap stuff from crappy tire ) Cost about $ 4 for a spool of 1000 yards. I use this stuff for backing on all my reels. Very cost effective.

As for main line, I used to use Super Silver thread 10 pound. Im looking for options to re spool my float reel as well. I should be good for another 7 years.

Then I have to purchase hooks , mesh, floats, split shot.

Thinking I might have to hit the crick for some after work drifts

I wouldn't go out and buy backing, unless your set on having something coloured, I'd just grab some junk line and spool it up. Those cheap suffix bulk spools work well for about $4 and you can do a few reels. Hi vis line is really not needed, then guys get in to shot lines and all kinds of unnecessary stuff. If you can see your float, you should know where your line is within a foot or so. Mono to fluoro lead is really all that's required, and is the simplest rig for adjustability that is out there! I try to keep my frustrations down to a minimum, and trilene xl has always worked for me so why mess with success. Just another perspective.

I like the colymers P line. It has a little less stretch than mono and doesn't absorb water.

It's not the flora clear but the other green box has CSXX (or close) on the box and use both 6-8lb on float reel and spinning. Think 6 is my fav.

It's a green color so some were between clear and Hi vis.

Thanks a lot for the opinions, guys. Gonna go with 8lb nano and judge for myself if it lives up to the hype, its all about finding confidence in your gear anyway. Hopefully, I'll have a few pics to post soon, both pin and fly.

I want to try Nano Bill,10lb for my main line.That's a good spring/fall line as well?

Nanofil is a great line for temps above zero.. It's useless when you're fishing ice flows..

I wouldn't go with anything under 10lb. I've ran 8lb pound for my main line in the past and cursed it when I'd get tangles. 10lb is way easier to manage!!

Nanofil is a great line for temps above zero.. It's useless when you're fishing ice flows..

I wouldn't go with anything under 10lb. I've ran 8lb pound for my main line in the past and cursed it when I'd get tangles. 10lb is way easier to manage!!

Thank you,I'm not a below 0 kinda guy.Don't like the eye ice build up.Will give it a go for something different.

I use Nanofil as well. I prefer white in 12lb test. It's so thin that in 12lb it's even a little thinner than most 6 and 8lb mono. I run a 10lb fluoro maxima mid line and 6 or 8 pound whatever tippet - (whatever = redwing 7.6; drennan 6lb fluoro; maxima 8 or 6lb ultragreen - I like em all). Usually the tippet is about as thick (if not thicker) than the Nano.

Nano also floats nicely. I find it a real pleasure to mend your drift when you're in the frog water. The difference compared to mono is huge in this area.

Some guys don't like the lightness of it, as they feel that it catches the wind too much; but my experience is that you can slap it down and not have to worry about it most of the time - and anyway, 40+kmh winds are a serious impediment to any kind of float fishing!

I agree with Bill that it's not the best for winter fishing. It balls up like an old wool sweater after a couple of hours. You can get away with it, by snipping off a few yards every now and then - I even managed to get through a whole day this past January - but it's not pleasant at all. Definitely a no ice fishing line!

p.-

For backing, I use plastic coated 30lb dacron ice fishing line on my centerpin. Can't remember the brand name. Uncoated dacron will soak up water, making your reel weigh a ton. Floating fly line would work too, if you can find it cheap somewhere.

Keeping the reel light makes a huge difference to me after a long day of drifting.

If you have a floatreel with spokes for the spool, be careful if your using mono for backing. The stretch of the mono can build enough pressure to implode the reel. Yes, I've done it. Use backing that doesn't stretch.

Edited by Crazy Ivan