why are there so many part time jobs in Ontario

Oggie

Can anyone explain why part time jobs have become the norm? I assume there is some advantage to employers. Some workplaces seem to employ many part timers instead of consolidating the many positions into a few full time positions. These working conditions are really tough on workers.

Educate me folks.

Dan o.

Lets stick to the facts to help Oggie out... if you get a pay cheque.. you're entitled to 4% vacation pay. I'm not aware of any out on that...

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/atwork/workplacerights_fs.phpI guess the positive of "part time", it gets more people out into the work force vs one working full time and another sitting on a couch with poogie run out.

Moving to a service based economy. Others have already mentioned the benefits, easy to let workers go.

It sucks because the gov can say they created x number of jobs, they just don't tell you that they are p/t.

I have been looking to change jobs lately and there really isn't much to choose from. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have a full time job.

I also think it depends on what industry your in.

I know in my (OEM automation manufacturer) we use a lot of temps. The work comes in waves. And the last thing you want to do is be hiring and firing based on fluctuating manpower demands. Temps are just easier to deal with in a situation like that.

Another follow on to this thread is temporary workers.

I not referring to a job that needs someone for a few days either.

Many places fill fulltime jobs with temporary workers thru agencies. I've seen cases of temporary workers working in the same factory for more than a few years.

No senority building or benifits other than what is miniumally guarrented under the Labour Act.

Working side by side with employees making more privledges, more money, more vacation and benifits.

Looking for a good position, good pay, good benefits, pension & steady full time work, never laid off in 22 years even with some slow downs.

they are looking for full time permenant employees as a type this.

we do have a mix as well, a fair amount of temp workers on call depending on our production schedule.

YOU WILL HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO GET HIRED THOUGH.

Irving Tissue in Toronto

just thought I would put it out there.

Mike

that the location on weston road?

are they 12 hour shifts?

i have a friend here in hamilton looking for permanent full time work.

he has been a victim of long term part time work...one place for two years....no seniority....always being told they are looking to hire him full time....never doing it....

The temps are temps because they can't find full time work on their own... So they get a quick job through a staffing agency. In most cases anyways...

In a lot of cases that complete Bull.

Lots of factories only bring in temps & later hire from this pool after in many cases a very long time.

Instead of a 3 month probationary term they are being stuck with basically being on probation for up to a few years or more.

Yes it's easier to weed out the bad pospects but if a worker gets sick they are also weeded out even after working there for a couple of years. No use risking a drain on the benifit system.

Can't find jobs on their own if the places are not accepting dirrect hiries.

Walmart -- simplistic analogy for where the jobs have gone.

A consumer shops for the lowest price for a product. A company shops for the lowest price to make the product. In 100 years or so, wages across the globe maybe harmonized, but until then, when someone in an undeveloped third world country will work for a year for the same salary a developed country worker is used to collecting in a day - before benefits, pension etc, this is will be the fallout.

Many countries that previously were manufacturing powerhouses are now service industry or technology. There is no middle class left.

In a lot of cases that complete Bull.

Lots of factories only bring in temps & later hire from this pool after in many cases a very long time.

Instead of a 3 month probationary term they are being stuck with basically being on probation for up to a few years or more.

Yes it's easier to weed out the bad pospects but if a worker gets sick they are also weeded out even after working there for a couple of years. No use risking a drain on the benifit system.

Can't find jobs on their own if the places are not accepting dirrect hiries.

You may have misunderstood what I'm talking about. Because its not complete bull...

I was talking about why someone goes to a temp agency to get work. Not why an employer hires a temp.

As I metioned in an earlier post.. my company uses temps a lot. I have a lot of experience working with temps. They build the equipment that I design... So I deal with them on an hourly basis..

And ALL of the temps I have talked to go to a temp agency looking for work because they can not find a full time job on their own.. Straight from their mouths.. Not mine. Times are tough... It's not a jab at anyone...

Am I wrong?

I'm sure there are a few people here that are currently employed as temps through a staffing agency.. Maybe they will chime in and explain their reasoning?

Edited by N.A.W

Walmart -- simplistic analogy for where the jobs have gone.

A consumer shops for the lowest price for a product. A company shops for the lowest price to make the product. In 100 years or so, wages across the globe maybe harmonized, but until then, when someone in an undeveloped third world country will work for a year for the same salary a developed country worker is used to collecting in a day - before benefits, pension etc, this is will be the fallout.

Many countries that previously were manufacturing powerhouses are now service industry or technology. There is no middle class left.

Middle class these days aren't unskilled labourers though.... The days of signing up at GM and being a lifer with no post secondary education are over. That is never coming back.

Edited by BillM

You may have misunderstood what I'm talking about. Because its not complete bull...

I was talking about why someone goes to a temp agency to get work. Not why an employer hires a temp.

As I metioned in an earlier post.. my company uses temps a lot. I have a lot of experience working with temps. They build the equipment that I design... So I deal with them on an hourly basis..

And ALL of the temps I have talked to go to a temp agency looking for work because they can not find a full time job on their own.. Straight from their mouths.. Not mine. Times are tough... It's not a jab at anyone...

Am I wrong?

I'm sure there are a few people here that are currently employed as temps through a staffing agency.. Maybe they will chime in and explain their reasoning?

No I didn't misunderstand you at all.

Yes you are wrong.

Those workers are not working as temps because "they can not find a full time job on their own" but they are taking the jobess available to them at the present time.

Does your work place hire off the street for those positions or only through temp agencies? Don't make it look like it's a choice of the workers but a clear choice of the employer.

As a designer of the equipment you are far closer to the management side of things than you are to the temp worker side of it. Don't even pretend you know the challenges they they face looking for work.

And yes I had to step through the temporary worker phase to get my full time job I now hold. Not because it was an easier route but the only option at the time.

So did I.. Work as a temp that is...

I appologize for offending you with my blunt comments...

It's not a choice of the worker or the employer.. It's a choice of the times and the situation. Bills gotta get paid. Lots of employers will always have a need for temp employees. For reasons already mentioned in this post. Not fault to them (the employer)

Your right. I am in close contact to uper management. And I have talked with the owner of my company about why he hires temps.. He told me its because he doesn't want to hire and fire.. And because he doesn't want to head hunt people, have them quit their current job and jump ship, only to be laid off when the wave ends... with bills to pay and then they are screwed.. And for the other reasons previously discussed in this post.

Like I said. Times are tough.. And it's not a jab at anyone.

In no way is a temp any less skilled or useful then a full time employee. In fact, in many cases, they have more experience. And I often rely heavily on them for their opinion and knowledge. I've brought them in on several design reviews. And put them infront of our customers as well. 75% of our full time production staff where previously temps with company..

I've obviously struck a chord with you. Maybe I should have worded my posts more delicately. But I am not backing down from my position.

If there was a full time job available at a good company.. Or a job through a temp agency at the same company for the same position... What would you chose?

And to answer your question.. Yes. We hire from the street for the same positions as we hire from a temp agency.. Several people this year have come to our door with resume in hand.. And stared working full time a week later... And we have also hires many temps for the same positions.. It all depends on your experience and your character.

Edited by N.A.W

If there was a full time job available at a good company.. Or a job through a temp agency at the same company. What would you chose?

And to answer your question.. Yes. We hire from the street for the same positions as we hire from a temp agency...

For your first statement I quoted just ask any of your temps if they would rather stay temps or take a fulltime job with the company?

I'm sure we both know the over whelming answer will be.

As for the second statement about yes you hire off the street for the same positions the question is why?

Not enough applicitions or your employer is screening so high not many meet the standard and temps are required? If as you say many are "In no way is a temp any less skilled or useful then a full time employee. In fact, in many cases, they have more experience" your company should have no problem finding good fulltime employees.

Yes it is the employers choice. Don't blame the times as it's too simple.

For some Healthcare I think it's mainly coverage nowadays. Often 12 hours shifts at a measly garunteed minimum of 3 1/2 per 14 day pay period leaves ten days on average per period for extra work to be scheduled or picked up where needed/wanted. Gives the employer plenty flexibility to trouble-shoot their staffing needs. Down side, the PT never truly has a schedule... as, they're often required to give a certain amount of availability, upside... there's almost always extra work to pick-up. And, the overall workforce pool to draw from is bigger for the employer.

My company has 100% swallowed the temp worker poison pill. Probably 10-15%...perhaps more... of our workforce is temps...office and production floor staff alike. We have people who have been temps for over 7 years working beside people who do the same job and make LOTS more and HAVE benefits. It is want is is but in makes me sick. Just happy I have 30+ years in and have skirted the entire issue. As BillM said the days of a production environment job...GM...being a sure thing for a healthy retirement package are LONG GONE.

I feel real sorry for anyone born after 1990. I know that is a broad statement but I think anyone working in my type of environment will understand.

Sorry Woodsman.. I was editing my post when you replied to this. Getting in a scrap like this with an I-Phone is a pain in the butt.....

"For your first statement I quoted just ask any of your temps if they would rather stay temps or take a fulltime job with the company?

I'm sure we both know the over whelming answer will be."

That's my point exactly... Who wants to be a temp rather than a full time employee? Not to many people..

"I'm sure we both know the over whelming answer will be.

As for the second statement about yes you hire off the street for the same positions the question is why?

Not enough applicitions or your employer is screening so high"

Yes, the screening is very high. Most of our temps are licensed millwrights.. Or have 20 to 25 years experience in machine building.

"your company should have no problem finding good fulltime employees.

Yes it is the employers choice. Don't blame the times as it's too simple"

My company is only 3 years old. We can't afford to pay our production staff $30+ an hour, working 60 hours a week.. Heck. Our managers don't make that.... Again,, I edited my post while you where typing.. So read it. Maybe my company is completely unique, and such I have a very unique view on the this matter....

Edited by N.A.W