Great resource for Great Lakes anglers

spincast

there is one trick, but likely won't work for the person who is using it as a trick.

after buying the map, i've been checked three times.

all three times they asked to see my charts.

once i took out the "tube", they didn't ask me to take the map "OUT" of the tube....

i know a couple anglers who only have tubes - empty.

Contact Transport Canada regarding the need for paper charts. I spoke to a Transport Canada officer last spring and asked the very question of the need for paper charts onboard. His response;

The rules and regulations with regards to marine travel are controlled by Transport Canada. The police simply enforce them. There is no law stating you must have full paper charts onboard IF you have reasonable knowledge of the water you are on. In my case he said "If you are stopped out somewhere on Lake Erie and you can point the direction to Buffalo, Crystal Beach and say Lackawanna, you have shown reasonable knowledge. He then went on to tell me if I am every charged with not having paper charts, contact Transport Canada and they will step in on my behalf and contact the department of the charging officer. Also, if paper charts were mandatory, they would be listed in the must have safety equipment list for each vessel length ie fire extinguisher, life jackets, etc.

grimsbylander, unfortunately Transport Canada is not in the OPP Marine boat when they pull ya over.

I tested the "sufficient knowledge" portion.

I'm very confident there isn't another angler who has spent more time in Western Lake O over the last 10 years than myself.

I was quickly told I did not have sufficient knowledge as I was unable to name the patterns of flashing lights on shell pier, nor could I advise that a fictitious point didn't exist on Lake Ontario.

I can't help but think that a court date on that would be an interesting exercise of one's rights. I have met a few enforcement personnel over the years who have the same approach with respect to the HTA. It is interesting to see who (doesn't) show up for the court date, and how rarely such charges actually get heard. Of course that does mean a day away from work, but sometimes, its worth it. Its a shame when to serve and protect becomes warped to intimidate and offend.

That was my point and why I mentioned it here. I am aware that Transport Canada is not in the police boat. If they were, there wouldn't be a charge laid in the first place.

I too would gladly head off to court. Maybe a loss for them there would make a difference for others later.