RCMP warning snowmobilers of booby traps (NF!)

GBW

Found this.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/on/news-nouvelles/2014/14-03-03-cornwall-eng.htm

RCMP just passing on the info for the Cornwall Regional Task Force (CRTF.)

This integrated unit is comprised of members from the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Cornwall Community Police Service (CCPS), the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), the Ontario Ministry of Revenue (MOR) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The CRTF ensures border integrity by conducting patrols along the Canada/US border while enforcing the Criminal Code of Canada and various federal statutes including but not limited to Customs and Excise Acts, Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Again still not within the CRTF's mandate but good they are passing on the info.

Scary stuff... Literally a couple miles from our boathouses....

Glad nobody was hurt cause I probably would have known them...

I know smuggling this winter has been booming due to the amount of ice for sleds to cross the river.... Maybe connected... Who knows...

Pretty sad,back in the day we would be running trails in the Tiny beaches area and would see barbed wire hung across at neck height.Pretty nasty.Who does this type of thing???

People that think they have more rights to public land then others.

Edited by BillM

That's a criminal offence. It should be easy enough to find out who puts those wires up?

it is illegal to do roy you are correct,and it happened 6 times in the port perry area this winter as well and its a very serious offence as well they said they could lay manslaughter charges

it is illegal to do roy you are correct,and it happened 6 times in the port perry area this winter as well and its a very serious offence as well they said they could lay manslaughter charges

Let's hope it never gets to manslaughter charges... That would mean someone has died because of this crap.

After asking around we have had 2 deaths in this area that resulted from drinking and speeding on sleds...

Maybe a scare tactic from the authorities... Post a made up story to get everyone to slow down... Kinda interesting that the first sled to find it was a copper... And somehow he ducked it..

Who knows...

I have run into this when I lived in Mt Forest as a teen..One of my good friends had his visor ripped right off his helmet when he hit a steel cable strung across the OFSC trail right outside of town..There are a bunch of sick SOBs out there..

Edited by tb4me

anytime i drive thru haliburton i always see a string of barbed wire or a plain wire strung thru a forest that is private property. all it takes is one person who rides trails accidently cross an invisible line and they get hurt or killed for it.

sad thing is i see it all the time in many areas up there