Walleye and Pike input on location please.

wvmedic

Hello all.

I'm looking for a fishing vacation for the Wife and I. We have stayed at Lakeair and fished the west arm, and we are again looking for a fishing vacation in the beautiful Canadian Shield.

I've been looking at the islands of Georgian Bay north of Perry Sound, possibly the French River area and the west arm. I prefer to camp and rent a boat, so which of the three areas would be our best choice? The scenery is almost as important as the fishing. Or would you recommend another location in the general area Toronto north to North Bay?

Thinking late August or mid to late June.

Thanks, Jeff.

Edited by wvmedic

Mid to late June would be better than any date in August. It's hard to get to the French river delta on your own. You would have to rent a place and have them take you from Hartley Bay Marina. It is one of the most beautiful places though as BillM says.

Thanks for the info folks, I look into some places on the French.

Jeff

Hey Jeff bear in mind if you rent a boat to navigate down the lower French you're only allowed to go so far for insurance and liability reasons.

You're fine if you stay in the Ox bay area and explore a bit up and down from there.

Look at the land O lakes area. Beautiful country, great fishing, and often over looked.

I find the whole french river area gets busy IMO. Land O lakes, your hard pressed to even see another boat on a lot of the lakes.

S.

I find the whole french river area gets busy IMO. Land O lakes, your hard pressed to even see another boat on a lot of the lakes.

S.

You're fishing the wrong part of the French if you are seeing more then 2-3 boats in a single day....

Factor in the price if a new prop in boat rental costs on the lower French. Well worth it.

^^^^ and I might add, pretty well most of the French River ;) If you hit the Lower French (literally and figuratively), understand that it's a provincial park as well so there will be camping fees per person / per night. This will add up.

• 4 months later...

Well I thought I might update a little.

I got a spot on a boat with a friend, going to the Kipawa region of Quebec. We will be camping and fishing in the Zec Kipawa, it's not an Ontario trip. It is still a Canadian adventure though, we will be arriving in Temiscaming on the 30th of this month. Plan to stay the night there then take care of our fees the morning of the 31st then a two in a half hour drive to the lake. Load up the boats and head to an island to setup camp, fish till the 7th of August and pack up and head home on the 8th.

I am as excited as a kid on Christmas eve.

Jeff

i think you are making a good choice. myself and a few buddies are going to smithbay outfitters on lake kipawa in two weeks. i met the owner a few yrs back and am finally getting there. large numbers of walleye with several over five lbs is normal. lake trout and pike are plentiful as well. cant wait

Just got back from Kipawa myself. Staying at a lodge vs camping it'll be very different and I'm not sure if you're actually going to be on Lac Kipawa or another in the Zec but you're going to have a great time (bugs and the odd thunder storm aside).

• 1 month later...

Joeytier, we were in the Zec Kipawa on Lac Ostaboningue. Not as scenic as Nipissing in my opinion and the drive was farther. But the fishing was very good, I think I could get used to it.

Rod Caster I think the spot might be a good one, and we had a fun time.

Jeff

nice fish Jeff. the one looks like a blue walleye. we went to Smith Bay outfitters out of Laniel on the north end of the lake. they pick us up by boat and its about a half hr ride to the camp. the camp is on a peninsula. the bay side averages about 20 ft deep and the walleye were pretty easy pickings but nothing over 17 inches. we caught 3 lakers over the slot size and 3 in the slot one afternoon. We are going back to moose hunt and fish more walleye in october. Good place, nice people i recomend it. Sandy