Walleye and Pike input on location please.

wvmedic

Joeytier, we were in the Zec Kipawa on Lac Ostaboningue. Not as scenic as Nipissing in my opinion and the drive was farther. But the fishing was very good, I think I could get used to it.

Rod Caster I think the spot might be a good one, and we had a fun time.

Jeff

A couple of my neighbors have camps there, looks like you experienced what it's known for :)

Thanks Sandy, I met a couple guy's at the bait shop. They are from southern Ontario, and was heading to Laniel to put in at the government dock. Not sure where they were staying but they were running two black Lunds a 17 and a 16, nice guys.

Joeytier, I'm already planning next years trip. Might have to make it an annual trip for sure. It is in the bush for sure, not for everyone and I like that. A six hour round trip to town is discouraging for some.

Jeff

Edited by wvmedic

Governator, the float worked well. I might use one a couple inches longer though. It's a good thing it was there, the guy in the one picture holding the big Walleye landed that Pike for me. I brought it along side of the boat and John lipped it, the Pike started head shaking and threw my hooks.

So the gripper was all that was holding it, well it started another head shake and pulled the gripper right out of John's hand into the drink. John was quick on the grab, but the float kept it buoyant enough to allow him the few seconds it took to grab it.

Coinsadently, I lost two fish larger than the ones in the picture. First was a Walleye bigger than the one John caught, it was what he guessed to be a 30 inch Walleye. I trust John's estimate, he has been fishing for Walleye a long time and has a few ten pounders under his belt. Any way I get it to the side of the boat, John hollers huge Walleye and says Kevin get the net. Kevin, the tall man in the pictures above, remains seated attempting to net the fish. The old Walleye makes a dive so I let the drag do it's job. After the run I again swing it to the front of the boat, it tries to go under the boat as he is trying to net it and snap. Off it goes, we gave him mild grief the rest of the trip saying he knocked it off because he didn't want me drinking out of the big fish mug the next day.

Then the next one, I hook onto something nice. Had my pole bent pretty good and it felt heavy, as I'm reeling it in I couldn't feel any head shakes and it kept diving. I said guy's this is a nice Pike, finally get it to the boat and man is it a nice one. Probably had 4 pounds on the one above, it dives hard when it sees the boat. John yells to Kevin, get the grippers. I turn and give John a funny look, but go with it. I get the Pike back to the boat and Kevin tries to grip it, it starts thrashing around and he has ahold of the leader, as he has seen both John and I do. I say no, let go. To late line snaps and the big Pike heads south in a hurry, to which John looks at me and says sorry...

Kevin did redeem himself though, he and I were alone when I hooked the Laker. So he was the only net man I had, I brought it along side of the boat and slowed him down and talked him thru it. He did a great job obviously as we have a picture of it and it tasted very good also.

jammer, it was both successful and fun. This was my first real wilderness experience, but I really liked my first trip to the bush.

Jeff

Edited by wvmedic