Advice on what Epoxy/bonding product would be best for this job.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I cracked my Otter sled and wanted some advice on which bonding product would be best for this job.

The plastic is fairly stiff, but the bond will need to be somewhat flexible and resistant to cold (up to -30C).

I have some aluminium sheet which i will be bolting on afterwards as a 'bandage' to protect the crack, and also plan to re-enforce the split rim by bolting 2 fixing plates across the split at the top edge, one over one under.

Anyways…i'm pretty sure what i have in mind will work (won't necessarily be pretty) but not sure out of all the 1000s of bonding products would best suit my needs for this job…….Thoughts?

IMG_6893.jpg

IMG_68892.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Pretty sure that sled is polyethylene, if so there are very few adhesives that will permanently stick. We use PE tanks because most chemicals won't touch it, therefore most glues wont either. Our only way to repair is thermal welding but that is not cost effective for your sled. Like others said, backer plates and rivets is your best option.

RED

What ever route you take.. and there aren't many options.. be sure to find the end of that crack and drill a 3/16" hole another 1" further over.

You could drill holes all along both sides and lace it together, but I'd be more tempted to do as Bill said and rivet aluminum to both sides and make a sandwich.

Thanks for the replies guys. What kind of rivets should i use?

Your old fashioned fix is tried and tested, that's the one I prefer. It sounds cheaper too. cheers MM

Side note: sorry to hear of your family loss, but what impression did you get from London ont?

Impression?….its a medium size town like any other. Seems nice enough.

I'll agree with the above stated sandwich idea,

You can get aluminum rivets, for that 1/8" would offer plenty of strength and it won't be hard on your hands if using a hand pop rivet gun, you could do 3/16 but it's not necessary and is tiring on the hands after the first few lol

If you have access to a brake I would suggest doing a 1/2" hem edge around all the corners to take off the sharp edges and it will add more ridgidity.

If you are pulling it by hand rivets and pieces of 1/8" aluminum sheet are fine.

But if you are pulling behind a sled or quad replace the rivets with 1/4-20 bolts and nylock nuts.

The rivets will not hold up to the abuse behind a powered vehicle.

I know from experience. ;) I used 3/16" stainless rivets and a bunch broke or pulled out due to the abuse.

I have not had an issue with bolts though.

I did the whole front of my sled as the hitch mounts blew out.

P1110158_zps8322c603.jpg

P1110159_zps44da0221.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

use some clear plastic for reinforcement/ support, pick up free strip from sign store, then Shoe goo to glue them, can be bought from michaels craft store with 40% off coupon on line. Goop or Shoe goo are so strong, has little flexibility, dry as hard as tire rubber. will not crack under stress.

Simon, I cracked my sled 3 years ago and used Goop on the crack but then sandwiched it with aluminum plates fastened with steel pop rivets. Painted the patch up with some flat black paint and it's held as good as new these past two winters. I have a good pop rivet gun if you need to borrow one.

This is the Goop product I used.

http://eclecticproducts.com/e6000_retail.htm

Edited by Old Man