honda crv

beertech

I had a CRV before and I currently have a Nissan XTrail which is comparable. No way I'd tow something that big with either for long distances.

I tried towing my 16' Lund and 40 horse 4 stroke Yammy with the XTrail and it struggled. (fwiw the XTrail has a slightly more powerful 4cyl than the CRV)

If you downsize to a vehicle and exceed the towing capacity you are risking a lawsuit if you get into an accident. Your insurance company will not be liable and will not help you legally or financially in the accident. Get a vehicle that is rated for the load you will put on it including the weight of equipment and people in the vehicle and boat that you will be towing.

Art

I was able to tow my small 14 ft tinny with an 18hp motor on the back. Entire package was less than 1000lbs. I towed a friends 16 footer with a 40 once and it really struggled....I wouldn't recommend it. That was the last time I towed anything that big with it.

wondering if anyone has any experience with these. mainly wondering if this will tow a 16 foot smokercraft with a 50 on the back. towed my boat maybe 10 times last year and tired of paying fuel for the truck 95 percent of the time. dont want to get rid of boat though.

I used my 2000 CRV to tow a 14' aluminum w/ 25hp - and it struggled on anything other than a flat stretch of road. I think I definitely cut some years off the life of that CRV by doing that. Wouldn't recommend it for your setup.

In my opinion, a decent rule of thumb is to take the weight of the rig you'll be towing, double it, if it falls below the MFGs tow rating you're good.

Another good rule of thumb is if it's a 4 cylinder, forget it.

In my opinion, a decent rule of thumb is to take the weight of the rig you'll be towing, double it, if it falls below the MFGs tow rating you're good.

Another good rule of thumb is if it's a 4 cylinder, forget it.

I agree here. I've towed a 1500lb boat motor trailer with a v6 escape rated for 3500lbs. even that worked quite a bit at times. could only imagine how much a crv would struggle with that kind of load. Edited by Spooled

thanks everyone guess this wont work. another thing im considering is getting a little car to do most of my driving and keeping truck for towing. does anyone have any experience with a second vehicle and insurance. Is it normally cheaper for the second car than the first

thanks everyone guess this wont work. another thing im considering is getting a little car to do most of my driving and keeping truck for towing. does anyone have any experience with a second vehicle and insurance. Is it normally cheaper for the second car than the first

that's what I do. whether or not it makes sense for you to do that will depend on how far you drive. i commute/drive far enough that the gas savings of the more economical vehicle outweigh the costs of buying/running/maintaining/insuring it. the little beater i bought basically paid for itself within 18 months. but just my commute is 65kms each way.

insurance will give you a multiple car discount, typically 5-10% but otherwise they charge full insurance cost for both vehicles, eventhough you cannot physically drive both at the same time.. ripoff!!

Edited by Raf

Hope fully it is I am with Allstate and have 4 cars and 3 motorcycles on the road so with the limited mileage clause on 5 of the vehicles and unlimited on my van and my wives car it is the only way I can afford all of my toys.

Art

When I had three insured vehicles and two drivers in the house, the third vehicle was dirt cheap to insure.
When my son got his drivers licence then it became three drivers and the rate would have been too high.
So I took the third one off the road.

The extra vehicle can be classified as a "recreation vehicle", that's what my ins company suggested when I was considering the same thing.

Good point about checking out the ins rates before you buy

For me:

Brand new 4 door Jeep Rubicon maxed out $60 000 = $90 a mth

Brand new 5 door Hyundia Accent at $21 000 = $ 135 a mth

2000 Chev Tracker @ 430 000 km, all rusted to hell,

seat belts held in with visgrips = $120 a mth

When I asked them about the rate difference they said it all has to do with the safety rating.

Entropy

I towed a 17' with a 115 fourstroke a couple of times with my 4 cyl 4wheel drive Terrain. I live on the lake so don't tow often. No problem, you won't be passing anyone, but it was fine. The suspension and brakes are the same in the v6 version and it is rated for 3500lbs It is excellent on fuel back and forth to work, 8 L per 100k. In the past I had a v6, it used a lot more fuel than the 4cyl when not loaded.

I towed a 17' with a 115 fourstroke a couple of times with my 4 cyl 4wheel drive Terrain. I live on the lake so don't tow often. No problem, you won't be passing anyone, but it was fine. The suspension and brakes are the same in the v6 version and it is rated for 3500lbs It is excellent on fuel back and forth to work, 8 L per 100k. In the past I had a v6, it used a lot more fuel than the 4cyl when not loaded.

isn't the terrain/equinox only rated for 1000 unless the trailer has its own breaks?