For you NIP fishing guys

misfish

What are your go to baits for the eyes and perch up there? I dont want to get caught with my pants down,sorta speak. It will be my first hard water attempt

If I can stay away from live bait,that would be awesome.

Thanks

B

Edited by Misfish

3-3.5" flutter spoons, like Wabblers, mooselocks.

Swedish Pimples

Jigging raps

Jig heads

Tiny buckshots

Rattlin' flyers

Minnows or minnow heads on any of those mentioned above.

I've had great days without minnows, but it's really hard to not use minnows unless the bite is really good.

I suggest visiting North Bay Outfitters on Lakeshore Drive. They have a great selection of ice fishing baits for Nipissing, and I can guarantee that someone with offer help/advice...

Brian, when are you coming and how come I didn't know about it? If I remember correctly I owe you a couple pops.

Tough not to use a shiner on your set (2nd) line. On your jigging rod you can do well with any of the imitation minnows or grubs. I have had lots of perch success using the Gulp maggots on small jigs. If I am not using shiners for walleye then I use jigging raps, airplane jigs, helicopter jigs, lipless cranks, or buckshot spoons.

Hey Brian,

Last year when Wayne was up, he had some kind of plastic "due dad" that seemed to work for him. I know he got the first fish of the day (To which he took a great deal of joy, reminding us!) and more.

I don't remember what it was called, hence the scientific "due dad" name above.

I know you prefer to not use live bait, but let me tell you a brief story...

My first visit to Bernie's, I had two tackle bags, rods galore and an unwavering desire to catch the elusive Pickereye. I was fishing about 10 ft from Bernie, who was using a chunk of wood, with ancient 20lb mono tied to it.

After Bernie had iced his third fish to my NONE, Being the smart guy I am, I decided to not fight it and go with the minnow.

Now, I take one tackle tray and a couple of rods.

Just thought you'd like to know.

HH

I don't know why anyone would want to ice fish without minnows. It's hard enough as it is already.

For me, the medium size Swedish pimple is all I've ever used.

Tip ups with a minnow on a red hook have often out fished my main line. Let me know if you're going up any time in March Brian. I'd still like to meet you.

Edited by jeremy84

After 20" I doubt anyone noticed.
It was tough going last weekend in the South Bay unless you were driving a skidoo.
I took a skidoo out last weekend, best way to go right now.
4x4 pickups were getting a workout, even on the well traveled routes. Seen a few spots where they got stuck.
Anglers Haven was going back and forth on Skidoos the last few days.
Hopefully this cold will take care of some of the slush. But even if it does, the ruts and ice clumps will make a slow trip in a truck.

After 20" I doubt anyone noticed.

It was tough going last weekend in the South Bay unless you were driving a skidoo.

I took a skidoo out last weekend, best way to go right now.

4x4 pickups were getting a workout, even on the well traveled routes. Seen a few spots where they got stuck.

Anglers Haven was going back and forth on Skidoos the last few days.

Hopefully this cold will take care of some of the slush. But even if it does, the ruts and ice clumps will make a slow trip in a truck.

:wallbash: i hope its not too bad

Sounds like it will be a little rough out there for my trip up this weekend!! We are using sleds and a ATV so it shouldn't be too bad. Need some snow to cover to smooth it out! Can't wait to hit the ice Friday morning...