Transducer Install ??

tizfun

Hey all.. Just got my new graphs in and since the boat is in the garage and it's fairly warm, I'm installing them now before all the new carpeting goes in...

So I have the new Elite 7 Gold for the console... The DI transducer will be hung off the transom, but where ?? Do I install it to the transom itself ? (Green metal flake area) or do I put it lower where the intakes for the livewells are and the drain plug (black area) ?? .....

My previous transducer was installed as a thru hull, but with this unit, I won't get a clear image of the DI or the sonar..

Thanks in advance....

Tiz

030.jpg

Edited by tizfun

I would suggest that you get yourself one of the plastic boards that you mount on the transom and screw the transducer to them. They cost about $20 save the hull on your boat, which probably cost a little more than that. :angel:

I would mount the board on the blue flake part and use a bracket to drop the transducer down a bit. You may need to experiment a little if you want it to be able to function with the boat on plane.

I second that opinion, and the only thing I could add is that there Is no need to screw it on, just install the board with a liberal amount of 3M 5200 and let it cure for 24 hours and then mount electronics. The 5200 should be all you need to mount the board solidly.

Yes install it on a polymer Transom saver. Good question as to where to locate. Call around reputable Marinas in your area. We are talking a 5X5 piece. Ask nice they may have a piece sitting around, slow this time of year after the boat show.

As for the exact install location, take all the info on the install instructions to heart even though quite generic, I leveled the trailer to simulate sitting in the water. Do not wrench the beejeezus down onto the vinyl nuts or silicone until 100% certain of performance. You will need to do a test run in the fall to see how the location is. I installed my new unit in the exact location of the previous Garmin transducer for my new Hummingbird unit. First run and I had a rooster tail 12 feet high. I kind of like it. Keep forgetting to lower it a mm. So don't tighten it until you see how she planes.

I could say what's the rush but I know why, new toys need to be played with. I'd put her in the water at the Hydro plant asap. You are so close and you have a reason why.

I have a thru hull transducer in a 89 fiberglass Ranger it worked poorly until I installed it with this product. http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-88825-vexilar-ace-transducer-epoxy-ace001.aspx?gclid=CJSQwJPT9LsCFTEV7Aod-wcAqQ. The back of the boat with the way the water transfers off will be difficult at best to locate a clean spot from the picture I see. I could be wrong though.

Art

Instead of paying the big price for the polymer mount, get yourself a kitchen cutting board and cut out the size and shape you need. It's the same stuff. cheaper and with some luck you can probably find it in a colour that matches your boat.

Instead of paying the big price for the polymer mount, get yourself a kitchen cutting board and cut out the size and shape you need. It's the same stuff. cheaper and with some luck you can probably find it in a colour that matches your boat.

Yes, yes, yes. It is the same stuff, I just went into the kitchen and can't see a bit of difference.

You so smart.

. Been doing it that way for several boats Roy and yes it's whAt is on my Lund now and works perfectly and way cheaper too !!!!