CLR. I believe the hype

Acountdeleted

Not sure if anyone has posted this before, if they have I apologize.

Last winter when I packed up my ice gear, I guess there was some moisture in my tacklebox I hadn't addressed. Almost all of my lures had rusty, beat up hooks. I figured I would have to replace everything but figured I would try leaving the lures in CLR for 24 hours.

Just now I pulled the hooks out. I can't get over the difference. Its like they are brand new, out of the box. I wish I had taken a before/after photo because the results are stunning. I'm going to dry them out, then wash again with soap and water to make sure I'm not polluting the lakes but I would recommend trying this to anyone who made the same mistake I did.

Just put the lures in. It took a tiny bit of paint off one of my raps and spoons but it was pretty soft. If you have the time, take the hooks off, if not you should be ok.

Grab a pair of split ring pliers, used to hate switching hooks but it's pretty quick and painless now. I think you can get them for about $5 at luremaking.com.

If your looking for split ring pliers princess auto has some nice ones $4.99 or Walmart had nice ones around $10 I have both pairs and like them better then the $40 pair I had before. I use them for building all my baits and switching hooks on bass baits they are great.

As for CLR I have never found it to work like they show on the commercial.

When I changed the coolant in my old 96 F-150 a few years back, I blew out the old stuff in the heater core and poured some CLR and let it sit for an hour or so. When I flushed it out, the crap that came out of it was amazing. To this day, I can barely hold my hand in front of the dash vents with the heater on without burning my hands. Not bad for an 18 year old beater. The heater is now the best thing about my old truck.

I had a pack rat nest up in my otter portable, which in turn let in rain water all summer and 3 weeks ago I was dealing with a 5' block of frozen rat piss/crap and rain water....wasn't fun, to say the least...most of my ice fishing tackle is in waterproof plano boxes, which held up perfectly...but I had my jigging rap/spoon box that was completely submerged/frozen

CLR helped save a lot of those lures, I was on the verge of just chucking them and figured i'd try it out, returned most of them to looking like new...if only cleaning the hut was so simple LOL

i think my concern is how easily they will rust again.

i know its tough on baits like spinnerbaits where the hooks are molded into the baits....

but ...

if the bait can have the treble hook changed, now is the best time.

stock trebles are crap at best (unless the lure is an expensive one coming with a stock gammy or owner) so buy a pack of #4 and #6 replacement trebles of good quality and you'll be ready to rock!

i'm assuming because they are ice fishing baits the hooks are molded into the lures....in which case you certainly did the right thing....!