Job posting at OFAH

Big Cliff

Salary: $20.25 Hourly for 35 hours per week

A

Skill Requirements:

Education: Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training, Completion of university
Experience: 1 year to less than 2 years

Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English

Work Setting: Business or industry, Non-governmental organization, Environmental and conservation society

Area of Scientific Specialization: Environmental
Specific Skills: Develop or administer programs related to scientific fields, Prepare research papers, educational texts or articles, Deliver presentations at conferences, workshops or symposia, Establish internal programs within schools, business and industry to promote responsible attitudes towards the environment

Additional Skills: Perform administrative tasks

Security and Safety: Driver's validity licence check

Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Work under pressure, Tight deadlines, Fast-paced environment

Transportation/Travel Information: Own transportation

Essential Skills: Reading text, Document use, Writing, Oral communication, Working with others, Problem solving, Critical thinking, Job task planning and organizing, Significant use of memory, Finding information, Computer use, Continuous learning
Salary: $20.25
$20.25 Education:Completion of university, are they nuts..it would only take 65 years to pay off education loans
but I guess it's a stepping stone to a better job

Good for a CV….but $20 ph for completion of Uni??? I was earning $11 ph at Lion on the Beach pub near Woodbine racecourse 23 years ago!!!!! I was a line cook!

Wow….as i was writing this a few others got in before me….seems i am not alone in thinking $20 is outrageous!

Edited by limeyangler

I read somewhere in the last couple of days that 20 somethings are actually earning less today than their parents did when they were that age. Not shocked at the pay level. :dunno: There's a grad somewhere sayin " Do you want fries with that ?" that would gladly take the job.

Edited by dave524

$45K/yr entry level position in Peterborough. That does not actually seem too bad or horrible i suppose. This role could be a great starting point for someone leading to a nice career.

Fresh IT college/undergrads in southern and southwestern Ontario (more expensive markets) range from 45-55K with some exceptions.

it's actually college and/or University...but ya, this is definitely a college grad type job, University grad would be way overqualified and would be looking for new work within a month.

In what world. The reality is a lot of university grads, unless they are the holder of a professional degree are taking jobs wherever they can get them. I agree the salary isn't high, but I wouldn't be so certain of your statements. I think if I had to choose these days, I might favor college, or a combo of college and university with a co-OP element. Having a degree isn't the path to good fortune it may once have been.

I stand corrected. I applied rough estimates and assumed 40 hrs/week.

Regardless, are folks thinking this entry level $36855 position in Peterborough is a bad thing? It's not uncommon to bring a new person in as temporary and flip to full time once you know there is the right fit.

sounds completely fair for an entry level position in any company I've worked for, especially reading the job description, doesn't exactly list many skills required

University grad would be way overqualified and would be looking for new work within a month.

ha I'm not sure about that, if you're saying a bachelor degree is overqualified? no way...mba or other advanced degree then yes....I love reading the cover letters of a uni grad, "I expect to make 80K with my degree and zero experience, I will be available in 4 weeks once I finish exams" lol

Wow, when I posted this I thought I might be letting someone know about an opportunity they might have otherwise missed, I didn't mean to start a "discussion" about whether this was a fair wage or not. Quite frankly with the shortage of jobs available in the "enviromental" field, I see this as an excellent opportunity for someone to get in and perhaps use this as a stepping stone to building a solid career in this or related fields. OFAH is a solid organization with a long standing history, job security is fairly secure, and it would make a good addition to any resume for related jobs elsewhere. Lord knows this is an area that is going to develop a lot more as we as a society move forward.

I also know that it is a good clean relaxed place to work in a modern facility where accopmlishments are recognized and opportunities are abundent. True, $36,000.00 isn't at the top of the pay scale but I have worked at a lot of jobs that didn't pay anywhere near that amount of money to start. (heck, I have worked in a lot of jobs where the pay was nowhere close to this)

I think it is important to consider that this is a starting salary and $20.00 an hour to start is a lot more than many people make right now. I happen to know one young lady that has a degree in enviromental studies and a deploma in enviromental studies graduated with honers and who would have jumped at the chance to get this opportunity if she wasn't living on the East coast.

Anyway, I hope my posting this has helped to give someone a chance but at least it is out there. I'd love to hear that someone on OFC has started a career in a field that will do something toward protecting and enhansing our enviroment.

Edited by Big Cliff

i work in a team of 8, and I'm the only one without a university degree.

my sales numbers have been among the best in our team over the last four years.

with only a college diploma I had to start in a lower position, but once the door opens, the education becomes secondary.

government jobs are really the only ones that get truly stuck on education levels....the rest, I've found, depend on your abilities and skills.

i work in a team of 8, and I'm the only one without a university degree.

my sales numbers have been among the best in our team over the last four years.

with only a college diploma I had to start in a lower position, but once the door opens, the education becomes secondary.

government jobs are really the only ones that get truly stuck on education levels....the rest, I've found, depend on your abilities and skills.

You my friend are a very smart man!

In what world. The reality is a lot of university grads, unless they are the holder of a professional degree are taking jobs wherever they can get them. I agree the salary isn't high, but I wouldn't be so certain of your statements.

I'm a college grad and I say what I'm saying because I see technician and technologist jobs go to university grads all the time because the employers are (and obviously they would) trying to get the most educated people for their money. College grads train for Technician jobs, university grads don't... generally anyway. You are right though, its only fair for anyone to want to get a foot in the door and get experience in their field.

sounds completely fair for an entry level position in any company I've worked for, especially reading the job description, doesn't exactly list many skills required

ha I'm not sure about that, if you're saying a bachelor degree is overqualified? no way...mba or other advanced degree then yes....I love reading the cover letters of a uni grad, "I expect to make 80K with my degree and zero experience, I will be available in 4 weeks once I finish exams" lol

It's definitly a fair position! I'd love a job like this and in another life I'd apply for it. Re-reading the posting, given the amount of writting/workshop work involved it actually DOES seem more like an entry-level University Grad position or a college grad with relevant experience. I didn't fully read the requirements in the posting; i'M onli a Collage graduite. hahaha.

But anyway, Cliff is right, this is a great opportunity for whomever!

Haha you guys must not know how bad the environmental field is right now. That job is better then my last Ontario job that I had been doing with 6 years of Experiance. I will be applying because it will, hopefully, get me back into the province.

I know how bad it is, we had the pleasure of having two very well educated and experienced people with enviromental backgrounds living with us last winter and they had a heck of a time trying to find work in their field.

I hope you do apply for it and it would be wonderful to see a post on here that one of our members got the job! Good luck!

Edited by Big Cliff

Thank you very much Cliff. I have had the pleasure of working with a fantastic guy who used to live in North Bay and did all sorts of environmental work back in the 'good ole days'. I truly believe him when he says environmental work was better back then. He would tell me stories of fish surveys on Sturgeon and Scugog, creel on Nippising, back lake stockings all over the province.

I really hope it returns to that point. Any person on this board I know would love to do work like that, me included.