Job posting at OFAH

Big Cliff

ON is a highly saturated market for new grads, for many industries and not just enviro...plays to the employer's advantage and NOT the employee....your degree/diploma/mba/msc whatever you got, does not equal big bucks fresh out the door from grad, the way the fill your head with those ideas during high school/uni...all that talk was Bull IMO, only the very lucky have that land on their laps

young man's solution: back your bags, head west, immediately make 3-4x the money with the same skills, gain experience/training you would never have a crack at back home, and then head back to ON with deep pockets and a well established career....seems to be the common trend, half of BC/northern AB is filled with guys from ON, myself included, put in 3-5 yrs and head back to a life that would've taken considerably longer to build if you stayed in ON

Live like a king for 35K in Peterborough! not a chance, I lived there for 5 years...good luck on that salary (that job is still fairly priced, but merely a stepping stone, everybody needs to start at the bottom somewhere)

I had major difficulty supporting the lifestyle I wanted making 35K in London, ON; after 4 yrs of college/uni, 25 yrs old living with my gf and splitting bills...I made more per hour from summer construction jobs than I did during the first 3 yrs with an accounting degree

moved west and major lifestyle change within 1 month, if you have no obligations keeping you in ON, head west, the jobs are here

You think you can live like a king in Peterborough for 36 thousand dollars and change! Come on, man ! I struggle to make ends meet on that wage. And I do not live in a castle. Sometimes its better to measure twice and cut once if you get my drift.

Yah... was kinda my point 2 days ago.... Food isn't any cheaper on Landsdowne St in Peterborough than it is on Yonge St in Toronto. Rent in the 'boro is about par for a one or two bedroom unit that my daughter is paying at Bloor/Lansdowne in Toronto for her place and the cost of a vehicle / insurance and gas to get out to the 7 bypass for work, same deal. I guess when Dad's paying the bills anyone can live like a king. :) Being born in Peterborough Civic myself... I guess he struck a chord with his "Live like a King up there"!

All that said...I'd be happy fresh out of school to grab $20 an hour vs many that stick their noses up and keep living off Mom and Dad by staying at home as "there'll be something better come up Mom".

my son turned 18 this year and didn't have the desire to carry on with school....no problem i said here is your choice of trades that i think you mite like...pick one and stick to it..

well he picked to become an electrician

mom wasnt to happy with his decision but i was

having been in the trades myself for the past 20 yrs or so ....the only thing i told him was it better be a certified trade

wasn't easy landing him a job being a first year apprentice but he did

at 11.00 an hour!!!!

he isnt happy with his wage right now......but like anything else in life....you have to prove yourself

he hooked up with a really good organization and is learning alot.....and thats the main thing

he had an opportunity to land a maintenance type of electrician at 15 an hour...but i said no!!!

learn the trade inside an out first...then get rewarded later

my son turned 18 this year and didn't have the desire to carry on with school....no problem i said here is your choice of trades that i think you mite like...pick one and stick to it..

well he picked to become an electrician

mom wasnt to happy with his decision but i was

having been in the trades myself for the past 20 yrs or so ....the only thing i told him was it better be a certified trade

wasn't easy landing him a job being a first year apprentice but he did

at 11.00 an hour!!!!

he isnt happy with his wage right now......but like anything else in life....you have to prove yourself

he hooked up with a really good organization and is learning alot.....and thats the main thing

he had an opportunity to land a maintenance type of electrician at 15 an hour...but i said no!!!

learn the trade inside an out first...then get rewarded later

^^^ agreed, I'm an apprentice sheet metal worker I'm looking at $38 an hour once I'm licensed if I'm with my current company still when I become licensed, I won't complain about that, the guy I work with clears 90 - 100k a year because of a profit sharing program with our company I can warm up to that in a second lol

Exactly.. slug it out.. get your ticket and be the bosses best man and ask a good portion of the wage he's billing you out at once licensed, or head out on his own in 5 years. Ah.. to be that age again ! :)

exactly!!!

but i think more importantly in any vocation...is attitude and the willingness to learn

people skills , in my opinion,will get you further in life than any diploma ever will

^^^ agreed, I'm an apprentice sheet metal worker I'm looking at $38 an hour once I'm licensed if I'm with my current company still when I become licensed, I won't complain about that, the guy I work with clears 90 - 100k a year because of a profit sharing program with our company I can warm up to that in a second lol

I need to get out of installing residential heating and cooling appliances.

I need to get out of installing residential heating and cooling appliances.

lol, we do a lot of industrial work as well as the majority of our work is from a customer base of 40 years, although when Siemens left hamilton that took a bunch of overtime off of our pays especially this time of year with them doing Christmas shutdowns while they have a lesser staff on, my boss said with them gone it left with about a half a million dollars of work a year, for this reason and many other businesses leaving for the states I hate the Obama us stimulus

Yah... was kinda my point 2 days ago.... Food isn't any cheaper on Landsdowne St in Peterborough than it is on Yonge St in Toronto. Rent in the 'boro is about par for a one or two bedroom unit that my daughter is paying at Bloor/Lansdowne in Toronto for her place and the cost of a vehicle / insurance and gas to get out to the 7 bypass for work, same deal. I guess when Dad's paying the bills anyone can live like a king. :) Being born in Peterborough Civic myself... I guess he struck a chord with his "Live like a King up there"!

All that said...I'd be happy fresh out of school to grab $20 an hour vs many that stick their noses up and keep living off Mom and Dad by staying at home as "there'll be something better come up Mom".

You are correct, the cost of certain items are very similar in Toronto and up in Peterborough. Food might be similarity priced, but I can't see the price of car insurance being the same, and we all know from our travels up there that at times, gas is up to .10 (or more)cheaper that in the big smoke.

When comparing the costs of renting vs. the cost of ownership there is absolutely no way you are getting the same living space, dollar for dollar renting in either places - what I mean by that, is the amount of space you can get for the same dollar - a $600/mth room is closet space in downtown TO, while in Peterborough you probably could get an older small detached or a well equipped basement apartment.

When buying a detached home for example, $600k gets you a good sized home in Peterborough, and in Toronto (proper) hardly buys you a parking space lol - avg detached home in Toronto is $800k++, and the average detached home in Peterborough is just under $400k - So if me and my wife gross say $200k a year combined, your darn right I can live like a Royal up there compared to some places in the GTA just on the sheer value I can get for my dollar per sq. ft.

For the job posted on this thread, making 36k a year I'm sure you could get by modestly up in Peterborough, plus your on the door step to tons of fishing and hunting opportunities. And also more often then not, the person isn't the sole income earner in the household, as the wife or girlfriend is also bringing in an income.

I apologize if I "struck a chord" with you, but I believe we're were talking about 2 different things.

It's tough out there for the younger generation with all the higher costs living in southern Ontario, but as they say, we all make our own beds to lie in.

Now I hope my IT guy is done Farting around with my laptop!!!

but I can't see the price of car insurance being the same, and we all know from our travels up there that at times, gas is up to .10 (or more)cheaper that in the big smoke.

I live in the boonies north of Peterboro and while I can't speak for Peterboro proper, I know when I moved here from Toronto 4 years ago my truck insurance dropped 40% which is a darned good savings. And your also correct about the gas prices as their nearly always well below Toronto and today their at around $1.16/litre.

Edited by lew

When I head down to TO I am always amazed how much it costs to even park the truck.
I'll stick with my traffic free commute.
There are things that cost more up this way too, but to me, the advantages certainly outweigh anything else.

I left a good paying job with benefits back in 1985 when they decided to close their operations in North Bay.

They offered me a position in several different cities. I thought about it, visited ones I thought I may be able to live.

Barrie was one I almost took, but on the way home I said to my wife that I was going to quit and do something else.

She supported my decision.

Went back to a minimum wage starting out as an apprentice mechanic.

Applied myself hard. within a year I had places calling me to come and work for them. That was cool!

For the last 20 years I have operated my own shop.

Life is good, but still need to keep at it. :)

I wonder how many successful people on the board can say that they started at the top right out of school. The only job I know of where you can do that and be successful is a well digger!

I'll bet you none of the guys that have made it for themselves on here sat around waiting for someone to hand them the golden key! We all started at the bottom and worked our way up sometimes a couple of times over in our life. I'll also bet that many of us did it by starting at minimum wage and proving (or improving) ourselves as we went.

As far as living in Peterborough or the Kawarthas; There are plenty of people that live in this area very comfortably on a lot less income than $20.00/hour.

We rent a large two bedroom apartment out to students every year, fireplace, fully furnished, all inclusive and right on the lake for $1100.00 a month. Gas is cheeper, insurance is cheeper, parking is cheeper, and it is a very different lifestyle than you get living in the city. We catch walleye right off the dock in season, have an ice hut that they can use anytime they want (as long as they help maintain it). We can hunt deer, rabbits, partridge and water foul almost right on our property (well, you might have to walk across the road to hunt the deer).

What I am having trouble understanding is why there have been so many posts leaning toward "give me more, I deserve it"!

There are only two things in this world that will influance how you end up making your life! Do you have a wish bone or a back bone? Either by themselves aren't worth much but (wish for it +work for it) = SUCCESS

Cliff I still look for "by the case" deals on KD !!! It gets imbedded in your brain after awhile.... :D

My post secondary education did three things for me... taught me where every bar and nightclub was in Toronto, made me 3 friends for life that helped find same and opened the door to get me my first job in the engineering field. Worked there for 3.5 years, in a union environment, and decided that there had to be more to life than that! Started our own business, on a hope and a prayer at 23 (wife 21 and 2 kids already,) and never looked back..

Wish bone or Back bone... you can have both. One just has to be stronger than the other! :)

Edited by irishfield

I just want to work hard and live modestly.

the reason is I want to somehow be able to have my wife stay at home when we have kid(s). I liked growing up and having a mother at home in the morning,at lunch, and after school. I'd like to have my wife do the same, at least until the kid(s) are five or six.

in order to do so I have to bust my butt to make good money - enough to support a modest lifestyle on one salary.

i'll never make enough money to live "lavishly" on one salary, but I do believe with some smart money management we are going to be able to survive with just me working ....

I'd jump on this job after completing my double major in April.

I have friends with Master's degrees in Engineering not able to find work

On another note not sure if Disaster Management and Health Studies would apply to their CGEP requirements

And your also correct about the gas prices as their nearly always well below Toronto and today their at around $1.16/litre.

And this morning it jumped up to $1.23

Amazing how they can raise it 7 cents for no apparent reason other than they can

Some of the smartest people I have ever met never spent a day in school after 9th grade. If someone gets a job right out of high school he can be investing and saving at the age of 19....

Enjoyed that whole post Art... definitely something to think about when deciding short versus long term commitments to education, pay and work.

Good thread. Good perspectives. Think the pay with this OFAH job sort of sucks but, in 99 I started with a grad rate of $18.30 hr. yet it meant at that time I would instantly be working, gaining experience and beginning the steady climb up the ladder. This job offered could be that foot in the door. The beginning experience. With many jobs in many fields nowadays not offering up long-term work and much becoming contractual, this is a start. And every single person out there has to start somewhere.

Edited by Moosebunk

And this morning it jumped up to $1.23

Amazing how they can raise it 7 cents for no apparent reason other than they can

I Said to myself driving home last night " Lew said it $1.16/ Litre" and it was a $1.26/ Litre. Its amazing how gas prices fluctuate up here. I just

thought it was too funny.