UFC 167 George St.Pierre title fight, good link

ehg

Hendrick did enough too win but sometimes to beat a champion and legend you need to knock him out.

Back when the world champ in boxing didn't have 5 belts draped over his shoulder an opponent would have to knock him out or best him to a pulp perhaps to take the title. Read a play by play, sure read like a close fight. Will need to see the replay.

Sounds like JSP is going to take a long break. He's done everything a world champion should, and with class. He has nothing to prove or win, all that is left is lose after a stellar career. That would be a shame. Stepping away from the ring after all he has done is the right thing to do now. No shame in going out on top, no shame whatsoever.

Congratulations to all the fighters, no losers tonight.

Didn't see the fight but there are some who swear Hendricks tapped when GSP had the guillotine sunk in. GSP should go out on a high note and just take super fights.

Rory, that was a surprise. Guess he thought he had it in the bag being the favourite, still think he has the goods and this loss *should* do him good.

Didn't see the fight but there are some who swear Hendricks tapped when GSP had the guillotine sunk in. GSP should go out on a high note and just take super fights.

Rory, that was a surprise. Guess he thought he had it in the bag being the favourite, still think he has the goods and this loss *should* do him good.

I noticed that too...not sure if he tapped but his hand was doing something.

St Pierre won by split decision...my opinion Hendrick won easily...george is messed up bad and Johnny doesnt have a scratch...crowd is booing the decision

People quite often make their decision based on who got their faces messed up. That not what judges look at...especially in Nevada where boxing is huge. GSP was ahead on the scorecards for # of landed punches, successful takedowns and time advancing/aggressor. There is only one benefit to hitting harder on the scorecard...a knockout. Without KO they have to resort to # of landed strikes. It was a very close fight and maybe Hendricks should have got the win based on how he seemed so much more powerful than GSP and his ability to rock him when he did strike, but unfortunately for Hendricks, that's not what will win you a decision. He needed to put him down or rack up points. If there's another fight, I think they'll be a KO...he's a powerful striker.

i guess its the "old" school vs "new" school on this one.

i had about 15 folks in my basement watching the fight.

EVERY ONE OF US agreed GSP got his butt kicked - except one ... my old man.

Dad said you don't take out a champ in a split decision. No matter what.

He appeared to be right.

UFC lost a lot of credibility after that decision.....folks at work today said it was the worst decision they have witnessed....

they may not be "fight" superfans, but they are one thing - paying customers.

People quite often make their decision based on who got their faces messed up. That not what judges look at...especially in Nevada where boxing is huge. GSP was ahead on the scorecards for # of landed punches, successful takedowns and time advancing/aggressor. There is only one benefit to hitting harder on the scorecard...a knockout. Without KO they have to resort to # of landed strikes. It was a very close fight and maybe Hendricks should have got the win based on how he seemed so much more powerful than GSP and his ability to rock him when he did strike, but unfortunately for Hendricks, that's not what will win you a decision. He needed to put him down or rack up points. If there's another fight, I think they'll be a KO...he's a powerful striker.

exactly

i guess its the "old" school vs "new" school on this one.

i had about 15 folks in my basement watching the fight.

EVERY ONE OF US agreed GSP got his butt kicked - except one ... my old man.

Dad said you don't take out a champ in a split decision. No matter what.

He appeared to be right.

UFC lost a lot of credibility after that decision.....folks at work today said it was the worst decision they have witnessed....

they may not be "fight" superfans, but they are one thing - paying customers.

it shouldn't be the UFC losing credibility for the decision, Dana white would've given the fight to Johny Hendricks, but alas he also expressed a flaw in his personal scoring system I believe he said something along the lines of "it's about damage" in which case no it is not unless you're talking strictly knockout wins then yes it is, but when they score the take downs the significant strikes the takedown stuffs and all the other things in play that's what a decision is based on.

Although Dana white did express extreme disinterest in wanting do deal with the Nevada state athletic commission because he is afraid of the potential to lose credibility as boxing once did due to bad judges and it's too bad they aren't allowed to hire their own judging staff and it has to be a third party cause I'm sure Dana would find the best possible

it shouldn't be the UFC losing credibility for the decision, Dana white would've given the fight to Johny Hendricks, but alas he also expressed a flaw in his personal scoring system I believe he said something along the lines of "it's about damage" in which case no it is not unless you're talking strictly knockout wins then yes it is, but when they score the take downs the significant strikes the takedown stuffs and all the other things in play that's what a decision is based on.

Although Dana white did express extreme disinterest in wanting do deal with the Nevada state athletic commission because he is afraid of the potential to lose credibility as boxing once did due to bad judges and it's too bad they aren't allowed to hire their own judging staff and it has to be a third party cause I'm sure Dana would find the best possible

Personally, I'm not a Dana White fan. I think he's a clever guy but I don't believe a word he says...he's part of the show. That's just my opinion. It's dead easy for him to get all up in arms and "authorize" an immediate rematch. He's the guy that makes a killing on a fight like that. He is the number one beneficiary of the controversy and a subsequent rematch. I'm not saying he orchestrated it, I'm just saying the huffing and puffing is hype. He's thrilled at the thought of a rematch and so would I. But he's got to get GSP back in the octagon first.

Edited by grimsbylander