It's Back - Spring Bear Hunt - NF

SmokestackLightnin

"Ontario is proposing a pilot program that will enhance public safety while offering an effective response to nuisance bear issues in the north."

So when they cancelled the hunt was it a pilot program to reduce public safety while decreasing the response to nuisance bears?

"Ontario is proposing a pilot program that will enhance public safety while offering an effective response to nuisance bear issues in the north."

So when they cancelled the hunt was it a pilot program to reduce public safety while decreasing the response to nuisance bears?

:w00t::rofl2:

Ha!

I'm happy to see this swinging the other way, reminds me of the long gun registry issue.

Its a start in the right direction..

will be limited to Ontario residents only.

Unfortunately that alone may make it worthless to outfitters. Not enough people to set up a real hunt... in my opinion anyway..

Personally theres not alot of residents that do the bear hunt. It may be they are just setting the whole thing up so theres no real interest, which is what it will be unless the outfitters are on board.

Even with a bear season I am not sure I would hunt them. The few times I had Bear meat it just didn't taste good to me. I don't think I would go to the expense to have the hide cured or a head mount because it isn't something that would have a place in my house.

Art

Are bears even good to eat in the spring? All I've ever heard was that the best eating bears are shot in the fall when they've fattened up..... Please explain.

other way around, the leaner the better.

it depends, age, diet and how the meat was handled/processed....I'd take a fat fall berry bear over a skinny spring any day....bear fat is amazing, makes the best pastry dough, lots of uses for it

the bear meat/fat that tastes horrible comes from dump bears and salmon bears....those stinky things are not the best shooters

it depends, age, diet and how the meat was handled/processed....I'd take a fat fall berry bear over a skinny spring any day....bear fat is amazing, makes the best pastry dough, lots of uses for it

the bear meat/fat that tastes horrible comes from dump bears and salmon bears....those stinky things are not the best shooters

Actually I've seen on that show "the meat hunter"' on oln, the guy target bears that gorge on blueberries, and apparently the meat is like pork, and the fat has many uses.... Very cool.