Intro Ice fishing flasher

redpearl99

Im thinking of getting my first flasher this winter and wanted your opinions on some models. Not really looking for anything with all the bells and whistles. I mostly fish in smaller lakes up to 50ft.

so far I'm looking at the following:

- Hummingbird Ice-35 ($310)- http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-ICE35-Portable-Flasher/product/102293/

- Marcum VX-1Pro ($330) - http://www.basspro.com/MarCum-VX1Pro-Ice-Sonar-System/product/1109190413/

I was also wondering if you know of any portable fish finders that can also convert into a flasher. Perhaps then I could use the same system year round.

Not really looking for anything with all the bells and whistles. I mostly fish in smaller lakes up to 50ft.

you just said it right there the reason you don't NEED a flasher... lakes up to 50'. Why spend unless you want the toy when you don't have to? Based on the 50' comment you don't have to. Use anything. When fishing deeper water for lakers and so forth then a flasher can be very handy to see the depth and so forth but not needed in my mind based on your OP.

Now if you want to get one and invite me to go test it with ya, I'm all for it! G

you just said it right there the reason you don't NEED a flasher... lakes up to 50'. Why spend unless you want the toy when you don't have to? Based on the 50' comment you don't have to. Use anything. When fishing deeper water for lakers and so forth then a flasher can be very handy to see the depth and so forth but not needed in my mind based on your OP.

Now if you want to get one and invite me to go test it with ya, I'm all for it! G

Try one out sometime. You will be absolutely amazed at the info it will provide you. OP, I have an original VX1 that was rebranded for gander mountain. I bought it in 2005 and it has been an amazing unit, and done all I have needed it to. I'm sure the adjustable zoom would be even better on the 3 series, but I mainly fish for bottom dwellers, so I get by just fine!

I really like having the GPS on my graph as well. I have no use for a flasher. A graph marks the exact same fish, in real time, and you can use it all year round. I can mark my jig perfectly in any depth I've fished....up to 120ft....no problem.

S.

The price point on the new vexilar smartphone transducer is worth a look. New technology is gonna change the big guys I'm sure. Totally worth a look.

at 150 bucks it is interesting

but with wifi there is an inherent delay, so no real time

however it is good to see vexilar going to a graph

at 150 bucks it is interesting

but with wifi there is an inherent delay, so no real time

however it is good to see vexilar going to a graph

Lucky Simcoe doesn't get that deep :) I haven't had any issues out on Lake Joe at 150ft and beyond. A wee bit slower then real time, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Edited by BillM

I'd look at the Lowrance Elite series myself. The Elite 4 is a great unit on the ice.

S.

I will disagree. I had to return that unit to radio world last january, because I wasn't able to see my lure on 100 feet. Unit itself was really nice. Beautiful screen and easy to use menu. I think the issue was with software. I really hope they fixed it already. I got hummingbird 345c instead and really happy with it.

So I went to sail today and checked out some of their fish finders and flashers. I was talking to the guy about the Marcum vx-1 pro, and he said it was a great unit, but he said it only has a single beam transducer. In comparison, the Humminbird ice 35 has a dual beam transducer and is good for shallow as well as deep lake fishing.

So I was wondering why some of you recommend the Marcum over the humminbird? is it based just on the Marcum hype?

I forget the model number but i think i looked at the 345ci or something like that. The sonar salesman also suggested getting a flasher rather than a graph because the flasher as much better detail / target sepertion.

Right now im leaning towards the Ice 35 as it has dual beam sonar (9 and 19 degrees) while the marcum vx-1 only as a single 20 degree beam.

The benefit of the marcum is the swing out arm and the fact that it comes with a carrying case. The humminbird carrying case costs $40 extra.

I am also debating whether to get the ice 45, but I've been reading that the LCD back lit screen causes major battery drain (battery is done after 7 hrs).

The humminbird also has a much better zoom function it seems. It doesnt split the flasher into two screens, instead it just zooms in and out of the target zoom area.