Back from the hospital...

Corey

And so ends another chapter in my book of kidney stones.

This was by far the fastest, easiest and least painful procedure i have had to date for kidney stone removal.

I left for the hospital shortly after 11am this morning, for my 12:30 checkin time. Got to day surgery, got signed in. Because of my size, my dignity was all but left at the door squeezing into them crappy gowns and sitting on a chair surrounded by some nice looking ladies. Once I got my stall in the prep area, I was promptly poked with the IV, given a mixture of saline and torodol.

Once I got to the new lithotriptor suite, I got up onto the machine, admired all the technology and told my urologist that him and I were going to have some words after the procedure. Why? Well in preparation for this procedure I was instructed to buy this stuff called Kleen Prep. 4 packets of powder, each to be mixed into 1 litre of water and consumed, 250ml every 10 minutes until you have gone through all 4 litres of this stuff. this stuff was the absolute most putrid stuff I have ever consumed in my life. I gagged every time I took a drink of this stuff. Along with the fact of not having anything to eat for almost 24 hours, this experience is one I will never go through again. If you are ever asked to use this Kleen Prep stuff before a procedure, refuse to do it. You will thank me for it.

So once the procedure began, it was a breeze, I was stoned up with 'happy juice' as my urologist refers to it and for all intents and purposes the procedure felt like someone just poking me in the side repeatedly with their finger. There was little to no pain, and as it did start to hurt more, the juice was brought on to ease any pain. The whole thing took 40 minutes or so, but when you are stoned, it feels like 10. Once I was brought back to the day surgery area I felt incredibly well, so of course, I asked to go for a smoke. Them nurses were like nazi's when it came to me going for a smoke. First they told me I had to urinate, and I said let's go. They thought they had me licked, but I gave them 200ml instantly. Next they told me that my ride had to be there, and that I couldn't sign an AMA (what the heck?). They tried telling me that my coctail of 5 drugs during the procedure was another reason I couldn't go for a smoke. I was starting to get irritated, so I began to do jumping jacks. Finally after talking real nice to the anastaesiologist, she let me sign an AMA and I was sprung!

Shortly thereafter my wife got there and we were on our way home. As soon as I got in the van, the first thing I did was call up Mr Grande pizza (anyone from Hamilton should know Mr Grande), they have the biggest and very close to the best pizza you will ever find. So here I am, stuffed like a pig after having no eaten for almost 2 days, feeling great after my procedure to rid my body of kidney stones.

Finally, if any of you ever have an indication of a possible kidney stone, see you doctor as soon as possible and get an ultrasound done. The smaller the stone is, the easier it is to get rid of. If you catch the stone while it is under 1/2 inch, you should be getting what I got today, which is exponentially better than the laser or the tube in the back methods of lithotripsy.

cd.

Nasty! I had one, and told my wife that this must be the same pain experienced in child birth. She was pregnant at the time, she said never. Bad Karma- 2 weeks later she had them and we finally agreed on something! :P

Geez Corey, thanks for the play by play, but I don't think I wanna go through that, hopefully I do not.

Kinda reminds me of a post a few months ago, someone titled the post "say hello to my little friend" lol. Of course I clicked on that post.

It was a post about him passing a kidney stone, with pictures of the darned thing in his palm fer crissakes, lol.

Ya, we needed to see that, EEEWWWWWWW!!!!

My sister suffers from them, and has been in the hospital here, and has been sent to winnipeg for treatment for them a couple of times. Not fun.

Hope you are feeling better very soon.

Glad to hear you are back to your old self... Mr. Grande??? Now come on Corey, you know that stuff is much worse for you than Starbucks... even on a good day! But a heck of a lot cheaper. Be well!

Keep smiling!

Cheers

Jen

Uh oh! T'anks a lot for the preview . . . . I gotta go for the same procedure in 3 weeks! I just had the pleasure of a colonoscopy last month . . . . . now THIS is what I have to look forward to? I had a 'stent' put in last week, because the stone (very small) had stuck & blocked the kidney completely . . . . but after reviewing the C T scan it was decided this thing posed too much of a risk to the kidney to let it find its own way out . . . . . so out it comes! But . . . . it would appear from your report there is almost no recovery time required, you're back to 'normal' by the next day? Although this will likely all be laid out for me at pre-op Wednesday, at least I know what it's really gonna be like now!! T'anks for the 'heads up!' (I didn't realize I was gonna get 'wiped out' again . . . . that gunk don't taste so bad when you put it in the freezer till it gets REAL cold, eh?) I'll be posting some shots of another fun treatment later this month . . . . I have to put up with 30 to 40 sessions (5 days a week, 2 hours a day) in a hyperbaric chamber as soon as they get me a spot. It's a pain when ya gets old, parts wear out, and you're outta warranty, eh? I had a tour of the place yesterday . . . . that chamber looks just like one of those diving bells . . . . not a whole lot of 'wiggle room' in it!

P. S.

Doncha just luv those cute l'il kimonas that letcha show your butt off? Wish they'd invest in some my size, made by Omar, the tent-maker!

Hey Photoz... where are you going for the lithotripsy? apparently in London they don't make you do the kleen prep. I will never do it again, even if I get it done at st. Joe's. Did i say never? I really mean never again! I will go without food for a day or two, and really push to clean myself out, but as far as drinking that stuff again, never.

I had a stent put in for my second kidney stone removal. You got the string taped to your leg? I didn't have any discomfort from the stent when i had mine at all, except for waking up with a tent and having the string not long enough and cutting into the side of the entrance, if ya know what I mean. As well, it doesn't hurt at all to pull it out by yourself if you have to. You may have yours in until the procedure though I gather.

I feel mild discomfort this morning, and a little bit of a burning, but nothing to be concerned about.

cd.

Good to hear things went fairly well for you. It is never a good thing to have any type of surgery.

I have heard that drinking a lot of tea can contribute to kidney stones, are you a tea drinker?

Tony

I have heard that drinking a lot of tea can contribute to kidney stones, are you a tea drinker?

Tea is definately a bad thing, and no, I don't drink tea. Believe me, I have seen so many dieticians and experts on this kidney stone stuff, i should get an honoural doctorate in it. I do not eat anything that is on my no-no list. the only thing that i have a hard time sticking with is a max of 4oz of meat a day... heck, that's the cold cuts on my sandwich for lunch, now what about dinner eh.

I'm having mine done at Toronto East General . . . . I wasn't even under for the stent . . . . wouldn't highly recommend this method for the faint of heart! But . . . . no string or anything . . . . but I swear that tube looked like 1/2" plastic garden hose . . . . "You're gonna shove THAT up WHERE??" Sheesh! And the 'cleanser' I'm not lookin' forward to either . . . . jet propulsion for an evening! But . . . . you seemed to hack it okay . . . . wish me luck!