Maybe adding a front mount trolling motor

davey buoy

My boat pictured in my avatar is 187 scorpion by Chris Craft.I/O with a step up to the front deck.The front is strong and I stand up there a lot while casting. I would love to add a long shaft front mounted trolling motor to it.Nothing special,basic with foot pedal.Maybe depending on cost something with a hand remote?.When the water gets choppy,standing up front is not a option. Would still like to operate it from the main deck if that is even possible/.What are your thoughts on this type of boat/ arrangement?.Thanks guys.

I don't think the deck is designed to stand on. I wouldn't.

A remote control is an option for you and as everything else it all depends on your budget. Also what type of fishing you do? I have only used my Motorguide a hand full of times in 5 years as we are on Erie and drift, troll or still fish. We call it the hood ornament. I find it underpowered at 55 pounds and 24 volt for my 19' deep "V". Any wind and I'm concentrating on working the thing not fishing. It's always windy most days out here. It has a remote foot pedal, I don't like it, just my opinion. Working bays, small shoals and rivers it would be a must. I probably should use it more but don't.

JD

JD,the front is big time strong,a bit uneven I"ll give you that.Being on Simcoe most times with the wind from different sides,we target smallies a lot and work the shorelines on the calm side alot.A lot of times there are two of us up on front,but control of the boat(current.wind etc)I find myself starting the motor and moving in and out more than I care to.We do a lot of drifting as well as long as the wind is not to strong.That remote foot pedal may be the ticket??Thanks.

Edited by davey buoy

I use mine for running the shallows casting as well as slow trolling on windless days.

I also is is for drift correction and orientation when drifting.

Plenty of options fishingwise where it is useful.

On your boat I would want at least an 80# and would want wireless as well.

Another big plus is autopilot like the Minnkota I have has. A lot less messing around trying to keep your boat going where you want it without having to constantly babysit it.

You're looking at some $$$$ though.

My motor is a Minnkota powerdrive version I with auto pilot and I added the co-pilot wireless accessory.

I would love one of the ipilot models though. :D

I use mine for running the shallows casting as well as slow trolling on windless days.

I also is is for drift correction and orientation when drifting.

Plenty of options fishingwise where it is useful.

On your boat I would want at least an 80# and would want wireless as well.

Another big plus is autopilot like the Minnkota I have has. A lot less messing around trying to keep your boat going where you want it without having to constantly babysit it.

You're looking at some $$$$ though.

My motor is a Minnkota powerdrive version I with auto pilot and I added the co-pilot wireless accessory.

I would love one of the ipilot models though. :D

I think that is a bit more than I would spend. The remote or wireless foot pedal would be the cats :asshat: .All those other options would be nice.Maybe some day :whistling: Thanks Dave.80lb sounds like a good #

Dave - I have the handheld remote on my 16fter and its not as useful as I had hoped. Its great if your drifting, and pretty good if your jigging, but not very useful when casting. The thing is, you have to take one hand off the reel or the rod to do anything and that always seems to happen in mid retrieve; I find the foot pedal set to continuous, then controlling speed and direction much more user friendly. But doing it standing up on your bow could be difficult, especially in any kind of wave action / when its wet. I would love auto pilot or the I-pilot, but I just cant justify it for the one to two weeks I spend on smaller water.

Dave - I have the handheld remote on my 16fter and its not as useful as I had hoped. Its great if your drifting, and pretty good if your jigging, but not very useful when casting. The thing is, you have to take one hand off the reel or the rod to do anything and that always seems to happen in mid retrieve; I find the foot pedal set to continuous, then controlling speed and direction much more user friendly. But doing it standing up on your bow could be difficult, especially in any kind of wave action / when its wet. I would love auto pilot or the I-pilot, but I just cant justify it for the one to two weeks I spend on smaller water.

Same as I am,just a weekend warrior lol.Hard to justify for sure.

My Fortrex shaft is 60" and I'm sure the electric steer models will come as long or even longer.

Thanks Lew,that's probably the length I would be looking at.What would be your opinion on buying used?

Edited by davey buoy

What would be your opinion on buying used?

To be honest davey, I never buy anything used so I'm not the guy to ask, but for sure there's plenty of honest guys selling good used gear. With a bit of footwork, I'm sure you'll find a good deal.

A 60" shaft should be more than long enough and I wouldn't go any lower than an 80# model. There is nothing worse than an underpowered TM. I have a terrova with I pilot and love it but they are expensive.

Your next option for cheep would be the powerdrive with basic foot pedal. Because it is electric steer, the cable is about 20 feet long and can be put almost anywhere on the boat. The terrova is the same but has a better designed foot pedal. Both motors can function with the copilot as well which would give you your remote should you want it.

A neighbour here has a Lund Tyee I believe, it is a very deep minimum 24 footer I/O and he has a Motorguide up front so shaft length shouldn't be a problem. I would sell even give you mine but removing the built in bow plug and chasing the wiring to the panel wouldn't be worth the time. Besides I haven't run it for 2 years so I have no idea if it even works now. The 2 new batteries will set you back at least $250.00. In my experience any electronics should be a new purchase, as Lew says, buy new. I would think that glass ChrisCraft is fairly heavy and you need to go with a 24 volt system with at least 70 lbs thrust. There not exactly cheap with wireless remote.

A neighbour here has a Lund Tyee I believe, it is a very deep minimum 24 footer I/O and he has a Motorguide up front so shaft length shouldn't be a problem. I would sell even give you mine but removing the built in bow plug and chasing the wiring to the panel wouldn't be worth the time. Besides I haven't run it for 2 years so I have no idea if it even works now. The 2 new batteries will set you back at least $250.00. In my experience any electronics should be a new purchase, as Lew says, buy new. I would think that glass ChrisCraft is fairly heavy and you need to go with a 24 volt system with at least 70 lbs thrust. There not exactly cheap with wireless remote.

With electronics,I don't like to buy used either.Just waying my options.For some reason I thought the basic front mount was not as much as mentioned.I need to get out more I guess lol.The boat is in 3000lb plus weight class.Pretty heavy and solid.

Yes a 60" shaft would work fine.

I got a stupid good deal on my TM used (sort of). ;)

A guy who moved up here from Toronto had a Lund Tyee 19' that he bought brand new in TO in 2010.

The TM was part of the package and in the time he owned the boat he never used the TM. :D

Got it (80# Minnkota Powerdrive I, Autopilot, Universal sonar and quick release mounting plate) for.............................wait for it..................................................................................$150!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I couldn't get out of my office fast enough to go get the deal of the century!!!! ;)

I think what you want is a power drive myself. Even a 70lb 24v unit would serve you very well. You can find them used. I bought mine from a member here about 6 years ago, and its still going just as good as the day I got it!

A good buddy of mine also bought a used 70lb 24V PD from a member here, and its been great for 2 seasons now.

Generally, if something goes wrong, its in the footpedal, and you can replace them for less than $100.

I couldn't fish without mine. The best part is being able to operate it from anywhere in the boat with one foot. I use the continuous setting almost always, whether I'm slow trolling, or working a weedline. Great for keeping on course while drifting too.

I'll tell you one thing, once you have one, you will wonder how you ever fished without one!! Its the best tool on my boat. I'd rather have no graph than no bowmount!

I'd say find a used one from a member here, and giver a whirl. Its really hard to wreck one. I've never even heard of one flat out quitting.

S.

A guy who moved up here from Toronto had a Lund Tyee 19' that he bought brand new in TO in 2010.

The TM was part of the package and in the time he owned the boat he never used the TM. :D

Got it (80# Minnkota Powerdrive I, Autopilot, Universal sonar and quick release mounting plate) for.............................wait for it..................................................................................$150!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I couldn't get out of my office fast enough to go get the deal of the century!!!! ;)

You should be charged for theft. $150.00 up where you are is like $15.00 in southern Ontario money.

What about one of those transom mounted electric trollers mounted below the water line next to the prop I've recently read about. I've never seen one, Yea probably because they are underwater, duuuuuu. They can't be cheap either.

Drifter should go to jail - u stole it!! LOL!

I have a 14' Lund with a MinnKota 54" shaft, 55 lb thrust bow mount with wireless remote co pilot. Nicest trolling motor I ever owned. I previously had a couple electric transom mounts. They do not compare to the bow mounts for boat control. You would definitely need a longer shaft for your boat. Good luck

You should be charged for theft. $150.00 up where you are is like $15.00 in southern Ontario money.

What about one of those transom mounted electric trollers mounted below the water line next to the prop I've recently read about. I've never seen one, Yea probably because they are underwater, duuuuuu. They can't be cheap either.

I assume that you mean the ones that attach to your cavitation plate. A rear mounted motor will not give you as good of control as a bow mount. I think that a cavitation plate mounted motor would give you even less control than a transom mount.

What a steal Dave!!!!!I figure I have at least 6mths till back in the water. That'll give me lots of time to look for a deal over the winter.

Go with Ipilot...You won't regret it. It is the cats meow. If you like the foot pedal, get the terrova. i have it but have never used the foot pedal. It has a feature called advanced autopilot, which keeps you on course by GPS heading. BEAUTIFUL when slow trolling walleye in the wind. Also you'll never use an anchor again. DEFINATELY worth every penny they charge for it. Radioworld is about the cheapest, and if you're a regular customer there, Leo will likely knock off another 20% if you ask. I paid $1460 taxes in with the quick release plate, after discount.

Edited by steelhedrmatt