2wd pickup at boat ramps

tomkat

I say you did good and your wild assumption like always are wrong. I also know if you are just launching boats around the kawarthas, Lake Simcoe 4wd is a waste of money. I also know if you really have a reason for 4wd they are great. But they cost more to maintain out to 400k when I normally get a new truck.

If you learn to follow the thread you will not make such wild assumption.

I say you did good and your wild assumption like always are wrong. I also know if you are just launching boats around the kawarthas, Lake Simcoe 4wd is a waste of money. I also know if you really have a reason for 4wd they are great. But they cost more to maintain out to 400k when I normally get a new truck.

If you learn to follow the thread you will not make such wild assumption.

Aren't you the one telling everyone a 4WD drive is more to maintain compared to a 2WD? If that's the case, then at least post some facts.. You haven't given anyone a good reason as to why, you just keep telling us it will cost more to maintain X over Y. Simple facts man, either post them up or quit with your inaccurate assumptions.

Work on vehicles for a living.
A very large percentage of vehicles I work on are pickup trucks.
As far as maintenance between 2 and 4 wheel drives isn't much.
Certainly no difference in brake costs.
The added section of the powertrain parts such as transfer case, front drive shaft, differential and CV shafts can add to costs, but with the added benefit of having 4x4 certainly outweighs this. The 4x4 parts are generally quite reliable.

Wheel bearings/hub assemblies are an issue with most makes and models of vehicles with this type of bearing design. 4x4's are not any more prone for this failure than anything else.
As far as brakes are concerned, maintaining the calipers is a big factor in how long they last and how well they work.
Driving habits such as hard stops, jackrabbit driving and trailer pulling all effect longevity.

Also I see a lot of brake issues with vehicles that sit for long periods without being driven. The rotors tend to rust and this causes premature wear as well.

Work on vehicles for a living.

A very large percentage of vehicles I work on are pickup trucks.

As far as maintenance between 2 and 4 wheel drives isn't much.

Certainly no difference in brake costs.

The added section of the powertrain parts such as transfer case, front drive shaft, differential and CV shafts can add to costs, but with the added benefit of having 4x4 certainly outweighs this. The 4x4 parts are generally quite reliable.

Wheel bearings/hub assemblies are an issue with most makes and models of vehicles with this type of bearing design. 4x4's are not any more prone for this failure than anything else.

As far as brakes are concerned, maintaining the calipers is a big factor in how long they last and how well they work.

Driving habits such as hard stops, jackrabbit driving and trailer pulling all effect longevity.

Also I see a lot of brake issues with vehicles that sit for long periods without being driven. The rotors tend to rust and this causes premature wear as well.

My all wheel drive CX7 has this issue,34,000 miles(yanke car)2008,bought in 2009 with 24,000miles.Rotors,brake pads shot.Sits in the driveway till the weekend.Wish they could make a rotor that doesn't rust?.lol.

I never owned a 4x4,always 2x4. Had a Mazda pu that went through hell and back. Back hunting roads and mud/snow. I always had a tire tread pattern.that would throw mud or snow. Keeping the tread clear was what made imo,the truck go through these places,along with some added sand bags. One time with my F150 (2x4) I got stuck in a field that was slick. I just kept the back wheels spinning,throwing mud and grass,and it got through it. Added,both trucks were manual transmission. To me,that makes the big difference here. Not sure why they dont make them anymore?

As for at boat launches. Never had an issue,unless there was ice build up,but brains make one throw lots of salt and sand.

Edited by Misfish

Gotta be a stick, when i bought my 11 ranger it was almost 5 g for 4x4 which i couldnt afford

My truck is stock stock standard and i love it

My other truck is a 03 4x4 ranger level 2 6in lift and 33 in tires. Thats what i use to launch the 20 ft chapparal. My other one wont pull it out of a simcoe launch